New father to be!

A lot of expats increasingly settle in Cambodia with families and kids, or acquire them while here. This forum is a place to ask questions and discuss all things family.

New father to be!

Postby FatherTime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello all,

Looks like I'm to be a father. My wife and I are both Americans, living here. I think that she will give birth in Bangkok, so she will have to go at least a month early, and then stay for another month after. Can she get a three month visa there?

I'll then have to register the little one with the embassy there. How long does it normally take to register the kid and get a passport?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions to come.

Thanks!
FatherTime
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby otis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Looks like I'm to be a father. My wife and I are both Americans, living here. I think that she will give birth in Bangkok, so she will have to go at least a month early, and then stay for another month after. Can she get a three month visa there?


Are you sure that 1 month before and 1 month after in medically necessary? Perhaps you should check w. your US family doctor.

As for the possibility of safely giving birth in PP, you might want to look into Royal Hospital about half way to the airport. it is owned by Bangkok Hospital. Also you might want to consult with a reliable doctor in PP to strictly to evaluate hospitals for giving birth here.
otis
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 pm

There's absolutely no need to go to Bangkok unless your wife has some serious medical condition.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 18881
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: New father to be!

Postby DF » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 pm

My wife gave birth to twins under emergency in Siem Reap. Born 7 weeks premature they were moved to neo natal intensive for 6 weeks. As good a service as anywhere in the western world. Total cost was around 250 bucks for a private room.

What are you worried about? The countryside service may be third world, but not modern clinics in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap are totally comparable with back home.
DF
I have Cheap Mobile Internet
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby Phuket2006 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:53 pm

FatherTime wrote:Hello all,

Looks like I'm to be a father. My wife and I are both Americans, living here. I think that she will give birth in Bangkok, so she will have to go at least a month early, and then stay for another month after. Can she get a three month visa there?

I'll then have to register the little one with the embassy there. How long does it normally take to register the kid and get a passport?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions to come.

Thanks!


Plenty of good maternity clinics, hospital sections in Cambodia and cheaper than Bangkok, gf's 2 sisters have all given birth to their kids in PP for a few $100

as soon as u wish go to US embassy and request the "consular report of birth abroad" https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html
you will need BC, translated copy,marriage certificate (if u have one,ur passports and thats it. Take photos with you and you can apply for the Passport at the same time, takes 10 days to 2 weeks to get passport.

IF u do go to Thailand , get a 2 month tourist visa and than extend at any immigration for 1 month ( 1,900 baht)
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
User avatar
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 am

Re: New father to be!

Postby gavinmac » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:There's absolutely no need to go to Bangkok unless your wife has some serious medical condition.


There are a lot of things that can unexpectedly go wrong with a delivery, and I don't blame the OP at all for wanting to be in a hospital with much better services if the wife or baby needs emergency surgery.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
User avatar
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003
 
Posts: 20432
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:15 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby epidemiks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm

We did prenatal and delivery at Khema on 294. Very competent and professional team of midwives, ob/gyns and paediatricians. Natural, water, and medical delivery options, on site operating theatres, and surgeons that consult at all the major hospitals. Excellent facilities and value for money, and very low stress being close to home.

At any time had they given me cause to doubt them I wouldn't have delivered there.

Of course anything can go wrong, but if it's a normal and low risk pregnancy there's fewer and fewer reasons to go outside KH.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Given that the doctors in Royal PP are on rotation from Bangkok (From Bangkok Hospital I think) I don’t think you are going to get much better care by travelling to Bangkok.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 pm

gavinmac wrote:
Lucky Lucan wrote:There's absolutely no need to go to Bangkok unless your wife has some serious medical condition.


There are a lot of things that can unexpectedly go wrong with a delivery, and I don't blame the OP at all for wanting to be in a hospital with much better services if the wife or baby needs emergency surgery.


That's perfectly understandable. We don't know enough about the scenario, I'm guessing the OP has lived in Bangkok or has close friends there? If he thinks relocating his wife to Bangkok for two months is a viable idea then why not? It seems like making a mountain out of a molehill to me but I can understand it. 8-)
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 18881
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: New father to be!

Postby FatherTime » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Hey guys,

We figured one month before because you can’t/shouldn’t fly after that, and then 3-4 weeks after to come back as we’ll need to get the passport sorted, etc. Thanks for that link Phuket.

I understand that there are good facilities in Phnom Penh now, and that people (and expats) have obviously been successfully giving birth for a few years here. We just figured why risk it, when we’re able to have world class care in Bangkok, which is close, and we do have some support here as well (won’t be paying for a hotel). Really it just comes down to risk aversion — both for her and for the baby.
FatherTime
I've got nothing better to do
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby Kachang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 am

FatherTime wrote:Hey guys,

We figured one month before because you can’t/shouldn’t fly after that, and then 3-4 weeks after to come back as we’ll need to get the passport sorted, etc. Thanks for that link Phuket.

I understand that there are good facilities in Phnom Penh now, and that people (and expats) have obviously been successfully giving birth for a few years here. We just figured why risk it, when we’re able to have world class care in Bangkok, which is close, and we do have some support here as well (won’t be paying for a hotel). Really it just comes down to risk aversion — both for her and for the baby.


If the both of you worry about risk aversion, then I guess living in the KOW must feel pretty uncomfortable for you...

I admit giving birth in Bangkok is safer than in Phnom Penh, but I also think it's in less than 1% of the cases where a hospital in Bangkok can really make a difference over a good one in Phnom Penh. If the pregnancy is normal, and the baby grows healthy I don't think it's worth the hassle to go to Bangkok for the delivery, because it will be hassle.

But if you do go, check the guidelines of the airlines. All airlines have different guidelines about transporting pregnant women and none of the airlines are very happy transporting them at the end of their pregnancy, so they will probably not make it easy for you. You might also want to check the paperwork that's required to stay in Thailand for two months (hospitals can help your wife getting an extension of stay for medical reasons, but not you), to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, probably not be in a parents' passport yet, so that would require some preparation and consultation with the US embassies in PP and BKK and MOF in Phom Penh I assume.
User avatar
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 am

Re: New father to be!

Postby Phuket2006 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:59 am

"....to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, "

To get a new passport takes 10 days-2 weeks as i stated, US passports do not put the kids on them.
2 month tourist visa obtained in PP, extend 30days at immigration gives u 90 days

whats the word on getting visas for young kids in KOW?
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
User avatar
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 am

Re: New father to be!

Postby Kachang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Phuket2006 wrote:"....to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, "

To get a new passport takes 10 days-2 weeks as i stated, US passports do not put the kids on them.
2 month tourist visa obtained in PP, extend 30days at immigration gives u 90 days

<cut>


10-14 days to get a passport? Also for a newly born, born abroad? That seems like a fairly fast service. To get a passport for my child (born in Cambodia, and non US) I had to jump through quite a few hoops and it took me well over a month to prepare just the local (Cambodian) paperwork I had to provide to the embassy for checks and approval. Maybe Thailand is more efficient....? Or the US government is more lax about giving out passports to babies born abroad than mine?
User avatar
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 am

Re: New father to be!

Postby epidemiks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Kachang wrote:
Phuket2006 wrote:"....to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, "

To get a new passport takes 10 days-2 weeks as i stated, US passports do not put the kids on them.
2 month tourist visa obtained in PP, extend 30days at immigration gives u 90 days

<cut>


10-14 days to get a passport? Also for a newly born, born abroad? That seems like a fairly fast service. To get a passport for my child (born in Cambodia, and non US) I had to jump through quite a few hoops and it took me well over a month to prepare just the local (Cambodian) paperwork I had to provide to the embassy for checks and approval. Maybe Thailand is more efficient....? Or the US government is more lax about giving out passports to babies born abroad than mine?


Doing Australian citizenship by descent right now. It's a bunch of paperwork and translations, but assuming the OP has his ducks lined up before heading to Bangkok, it should be relatively simple. If I'd prepared better before the birth I could have submitted the application within 2 days of getting the sangkat birth certificate.

Timing might not be so easy though, unless the US do things much quicker. Expecting 30 to 60 days for citizenship approval and then another 30 days for the passport.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2881
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: New father to be!

Postby Phuket2006 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Kachang wrote:
Phuket2006 wrote:"....to leave Thailand after delivery with your baby, and enter Cambodia with the newly born. You child will not have a passport, "

To get a new passport takes 10 days-2 weeks as i stated, US passports do not put the kids on them.
2 month tourist visa obtained in PP, extend 30days at immigration gives u 90 days

<cut>


10-14 days to get a passport? Also for a newly born, born abroad? That seems like a fairly fast service. To get a passport for my child (born in Cambodia, and non US) I had to jump through quite a few hoops and it took me well over a month to prepare just the local (Cambodian) paperwork I had to provide to the embassy for checks and approval. Maybe Thailand is more efficient....? Or the US government is more lax about giving out passports to babies born abroad than mine?


US passport issued aboard only takes max 2 weeks ( less if u pick it up at the embassy)
To get US passport ( whatever country) ALL they need apply for is the "consolur report of birth abroad" ( passport can be applied for at the same time) and show Birth certificate plus both parents must be present with passports. quite easy

from my link
The child’s parents may choose to apply for a U.S. passport for the child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA. Parents may also choose to apply only for a U.S. passport for the child. Like a CRBA, a full validity, unexpired U.S. passport is proof of U.S. citizenship.
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
User avatar
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 am

Next

Return to Family, children and relationships




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests