• Advertisement
Giant Ibis

Tip for BKK airport

The room to discuss all aspects of travel in Cambodia be it simple questions in regards visas or exchanging ideas as to the best jungle paths for your next off-road trip.

Re: Tip for BKK airport

Postby gavinmac » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 am

Miguelito wrote:
LaudJohn wrote:To the OP.

You just found this out?

Works in almost any airport in the world.

Are you a real life Forest Gump?

It certainly does not work in any airport in the world. You couldn’t get away with this in the U.S., and I tried it once in Mexico City and it was a huge failure.

Seems like some people hadn’t thought of doing it at BKK. Seeing as it saved me at least thirty mins, I passed the tip along.

It's been the preferred method of bottomfeeders for grabbing a taxi at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi for many years, just to avoid the 50 baht surcharge.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Hanno » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am

gavinmac wrote:It's been the preferred method of bottomfeeders for grabbing a taxi at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi for many years, just to avoid the 50 baht surcharge.

True that. But admittedly taxi lines became shit a couple of years ago when they put in the automatic system. It was supposed to speed things up but, this being Thailand, had the opposite effect.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Only Friend

Postby kansaicanuck » Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am

gavinmac wrote:
Miguelito wrote:

You just found this out?

It certainly does not work in any airport in the world. You couldn’t get away with this in the U.S., and I tried it once in Mexico City and it was a huge failure.

Seems like some people hadn’t thought of doing it at BKK. Seeing as it saved me at least thirty mins, I passed the tip along.

It's been the preferred method of bottomfeeders for grabbing a taxi at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi for many years, just to avoid the 50 baht surcharge.

Maybe the bottomfeeders think it saves them the 50 baht surcharge but it usually costs more in the end. I know I paid a higher fare to the driver last time as he didnt use a meter and I had to haggle a bit on the price. But in the end it saved me a lot of time waiting in line. It was worthwhile but costlier by jumping the queue.
kansaicanuck
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby ReasonstobefearfulP3 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am

gavinmac wrote:
Miguelito wrote:

You just found this out?

Nah, bottom-feeders (like myself) just get the bus for around 50/60 baht
ReasonstobefearfulP3
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Miguelito » Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 am

It was definitely a time saver, as even the AOT taxi would have taken 25-30 mins to become available. I normally pay about 450/500 in a taxi (with highway tolls), so I just offered 500 to the cab at the top (it's important to say "with highway" when negotiating the set fare).
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby logos » Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Come on Migs, stop letting us down. Climbing up the stairs to haggle with a cab driver doesn't suit your style. Here's what real ballers do.

Transferring between airports and hotels with a helicopter is the quickest way to get around—or over—the crawling traffic of Thailand’s congested cities.

The service isn’t cheap though. A forty minute flight could cost over 50,000 baht. If you’re interested, check out Skydance, which flies out of Bangkok. You could look into the Thailand helicopter directory, HeliThai, to compare prices on other companies as well.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby over the rainbow » Wed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm

gavinmac wrote:
Miguelito wrote:

You just found this out?

NOT just bottom feeders but those wishing to avoid lines. At DM, most expats would walk upstairs and grab a cab dropping a passenger off, decades ago.
over the rainbow
I live above an internet cafe

Postby LaudJohn » Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Miguelito wrote:

You just found this out?

Yes I have to admit you are right.

2/3 of the NAFTA countries (3 in total) are very representative of the entire world.

My bad. I have done this in at least a dozen countries, including many first world countries and a few sh1t as well. But your incredible breadth of experience in two countries wins out.

My bad.

..... No wonder many people find 'mericans unworldly, insular and ignorant : you of course are an exception as you have been to American. Mexico and Thailand.
Note to self: Must be nice to morons.
LaudJohn
Feminist Watch List

Postby Miguelito » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Not sure why you want to pick a fight with me...isn’t it time for you to be negotiating ladydrinks down a dollar by now?
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby LaudJohn » Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Miguelito wrote:Not sure why you want to pick a fight with me...isn’t it time for you to be negotiating ladydrinks down a dollar by now?

Pick a fight with a wet noodle?

Nah, not fair. I would not do that.

Just pointing out that your original post is showing you are akin to Forest Gump .

Not that there is anything wrong with being challenged. That you continue to function on a day to day basis makes me proud to say that I know and support you.
Note to self: Must be nice to morons.
LaudJohn
Feminist Watch List

Postby gavinmac » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 am

Here's a link to this "taxi from departures at Bangkok airport" advice being given online in 1997:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ujBTuXoDJk

What's next, will Miguelito give us a tip that Bangkok tuk tuk drivers who say the Grand Palace is closed today may actually be lying?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Jamie_Lambo » Thu May 17, 2018 5:42 am

i usually have a taxi pre-ordered already waiting for me at arrivals, costs me only 1000 baht all the way to Pattaya
Mean Dtuk Mean Trey, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks
Jamie_Lambo
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby Miguelito » Thu May 17, 2018 6:54 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i usually have a taxi pre-ordered already waiting for me at arrivals, costs me only 1000 baht all the way to Pattaya

Damn that’s cheap.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Playboy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:33 am

Miguelito wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:i usually have a taxi pre-ordered already waiting for me at arrivals, costs me only 1000 baht all the way to Pattaya

Damn that’s cheap.
I am surprised that the bars and clubs in Pattaya do not send a free limousine to pick Jamie up when he arrives.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby spitthedog » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 am

Never used them, but also airport busses at DMK, but finish at 11 pm i think.

A1 BUS ROUTE

1. Don Muang Airport
2. Kasetsart University (Viphawadi Rangsit Rd)
3. Mo Chit
4. Chatuchak Park
5. Mochit 2 / Northeastern Bus Terminal

A2 BUS ROUTE

1. Don Muang Airport
2. Kasetsart University (Viphawadi Rangsit Rd)
3. Chatuchak Park
4. Mo Chit
5. Saphan Kwai
6. Ari
7. Sanam Pao
8. Victory Monument

A3 BUS ROUTE

1. Don Mueang Airport
2. Tollway
3. Din Daeng
4. Pratunam
5. Ratchaprasong
6. Ratchadamri
7. Lumpini Park

A4 BUS ROUTE

1. Don Mueang Airport
2. Tollway
3. Sirat Expressway
4. Yommarat
5. Lan Luang
6. Phan Fa
7. Democracy Monument
8. Wat Bowonniwet
9. Khao San
10. Sanam Luang
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Internet Addiction: it is real

PreviousNext

Return to Travel