how many days does one need to stay in a country before they can say they know it?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Re: how many days does one need to stay in a country before they can say they know it?

Postby pedros » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:34 pm

They like singing, eating pork, fish, chicken, beef, frogs, rats, bats, dogs, cats, insects, arachnids, fruit with salty chilli and prahoc with rice,, drinking everything from abc to terps, scoopy, msx, Lexi, range Rover,and Honda dream, Thai movie, big black eyebrows and going to the wat.

They don't like ghosts , Vietnam and look down Khmer people.

I figured it out in no time :-D :? :eyes:
pedros
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Re: how many days does one need to stay in a country before they can say they know it?

Postby pool » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:41 am

Thanks to LexusSchmexus and others. I figured as much, but to read it from someone so many layers into the onion is extremely useful to this noob.
pool
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby florian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:32 am

I think the above is a bit of an exaggeration, and people like to portray Cambodia as something beyond understanding. Actually a lot of the mistery is nothing more than human stupidity coupled with superstitions and less developed cultures where relationships are more important than logic and corruption is the norm. Cambodians obviously have characteristic Asian traits like avoiding confrontation, pretending that problems don't exist, etc. When you're dealing with a population that has a very low level of education, the stupidity, superstition, reliance on relationships, fear of the unknown are all compounded in a huge way, since the people lack education, whose purpose is exactly to counter innate human stupidity, corruption, etc. Westerners coming to interpret this chaos as Cambodians being crazy or beyond understanding. Cambodians are just like people everywhere else. If you spend about half year in the country you'll know it's cultural traits pretty well, of course to get to know it well you have to learn the language, which is very difficult.
If you think about it all the insane stuff that goes on in our own Western societies and we're so used to it we don't even bat an eyelid but when we go to Cambodia we suddenly pretend Cambodians are like martians.
florian
I live above an internet cafe

Postby RainMan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 am

I think the OP should've read 'how many years....'
A Thai once told me 'If you think you know everythink, you know nothink'. Can't pinpoint what it is about Cambodia and don't really want to, there are so many nuances.
Never mind.
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith

Postby violet » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 am

Why are you using the RainMan profile again?
Few words have made me weep more than learning of, and understanding, these:
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Lucky Lucan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

florian wrote:I think the above is a bit of an exaggeration, and people like to portray Cambodia as something beyond understanding.

The country's history is extremely complex.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby pedros » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 am

violet wrote:Why are you using the RainMan profile again?

Eh? I met rainman once, he is a 'real' person.
pedros
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby spitthedog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 pm

pedros wrote:23.

They like singing, eating pork, fish, chicken, beef, frogs, rats, bats, dogs, cats, insects, arachnids, fruit with salty chilli and prahoc with rice,, drinking everything from abc to terps, scoopy, msx, Lexi, range Rover,and Honda dream, Thai movie, big black eyebrows and going to the wat.

They don't like ghosts , Vietnam and look down Khmer people.

I figured it out in no time :-D :? :eyes:

Do they really drink terps ?

One thing i see quite regularly is a group of mates wrestling and wildly swinging punches (and missing) whilst blind drunk at 7am and then getting carried off half comatosed by the grog.
Maybe you don't understand the country until you've done that?
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers