Drivers License

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Re: Drivers License

Postby v12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:57 pm

scoffer wrote:Can someone advise if an International Drivers Licence issued in Australia is valid / accepted in Cambodia ?

Thanks

For a Cambodian drivers license, it should work.
On the street it has the same value as no drivers license and cost you teamoney.
For the insurance, it's their chance to wave a damage claim.

Up to you what you do with that.
v12
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby v12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:58 pm

Petrol Head wrote:
v12 wrote:
Petrol Head wrote:
OSS 117 wrote: 5 years is for people going threw the test, 1 year is for foreigners who shows up with a valid homeland license.

Succinct and helpful.

On a related point, l recall some low level hysteria on some other thread about the Cambodian government ceasing to issue licences to foreigners (or at least make the process more difficult).

I can say without question that is bollocks.

It couldnt be easier to get one.

That would be great, though a couple of months ago, it wasn't possible, not even the big money way.
Explain how you do so, though please note, for renewals nothing changed, only for first time Cambo licenses.

Through an agent. In the last few months he has arranged for me and a guy I sold a car to.

Nice, may I assume, you can tell more, since all -serious- agents I do know tell the opposite.......
v12

Postby Petrol Head » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:32 am

V12 with the utmost respect, (you know cars and in this wretched facebook/twitter/non draught guinness era, vehicular enthusiasm is one of the few gentlemanly persuits)you have got your facts wrong. In the very recent past, the agent has secured licenses for:

- the boss of a major insurance company
- his wife
- the boss of a major German car company
- myself (waaaay out of date previous license; no way you could call it a renewal license)
- one fella I sold a car to.

Everyone on that list except for me was a recent arrival.
Petrol Head
I drive a Lada

Postby holidayinkh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 am

OSS 117 wrote:If like your name says you are in holiday in Kh, I think you can't have a driver license anymore.
Otherwise, 5 years is for people going threw the test, 1 year is for foreigners who shows up with a valid homeland license.
You need some kind of proof of long staying, maybe your apartment contract I'm not sure about that.
Anyway no driver license = no insurance. So you really need to do it.

Thanks, I am here for awhile, and have a lease in my name. My forum name is merely a reference to the song of the same name. :)

Other than the 1 vs 5 year expiry, there is no difference at all? Also still not sure if I need papers from the Sangkat or not... Will try without first (and bring just me lease).
holidayinkh
I've got internet at work

Drivers License

Postby Brian Bibble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:43 am

Petrol Head wrote:When I first arrived, I used to pull out a Victorian Boat License, which had shiny holograms and such. I would pass this off as an "international license".../...
City is changing though. I think soon it will be extremely unwise to get around without all paperwork and insurance in order. Maybe there is more money to be made by cops/bureaucrats who hand out fines for license, registration or vehicle safety infringements as opposed to the usual shakedown M.O. of helmets, headlights etc.

It is extremely unwise and frankly irresponsible to go around without insurance when you know how easy and cheap you can have both driver license and insurance.
Brian Bibble
I've got nothing better to do

Postby v12 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:46 am

Petrol Head wrote:V12 with the utmost respect, (you know cars and in this wretched facebook/twitter/non draught guinness era, vehicular enthusiasm is one of the few gentlemanly persuits)you have got your facts wrong. In the very recent past, the agent has secured licenses for:

- his wife
- myself (waaaay out of date previous license; no way you could call it a renewal license)

You don't get what I write, let me quote my writing again:
V12 wrote:Nice, may I assume, you can tell more, since all -serious- agents I do know tell the opposite.......

All the agents I do know (and agents who are in regular business to handle these things) did state up to 3 weeks ago, it's no longer possible for holiday makes to obtain a new Cambodian drivers - and more K440 writers reported the same. So, either your source is able to forge the mandatory requirement of a Sangkat letter of habitat (and he might have quite a full house where he lives, all unknown foreigners), or the rules changed (again). Let's hope the latter one.

So: How and through which agents you managed to get this arranged ?

And maybe define your phrasing "recently arrived": Does this mean a holiday maker or somebody just arrived with a fixed habitat address ? If the latter, then your statement is in line with what I (continuously) write.
v12

Drivers License

Postby Brian Bibble » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:49 am

Petrol Head wrote:In the very recent past, the agent has secured licenses for:
- his wife

That's good to know! Was it 1 year ou 5 years licenses ? Did you have to provide a foreign license ? How much did it cost ?
Brian Bibble

Postby v12 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:56 am

OSS 117 wrote:
Petrol Head wrote:When I first arrived, I used to pull out a Victorian Boat License, which had shiny holograms and such. I would pass this off as an "international license".../...
City is changing though. I think soon it will be extremely unwise to get around without all paperwork and insurance in order. Maybe there is more money to be made by cops/bureaucrats who hand out fines for license, registration or vehicle safety infringements as opposed to the usual shakedown M.O. of helmets, headlights etc.

It is extremely unwise and frankly irresponsible to go around without insurance when you know how easy and cheap you can have both driver license and insurance.

Indeed.

It's not even the money you have to fork out. It's the challenge to NOT end up in jail, which happens quite easily if you don't have an insurance agent jumping in to arrange your case with the police.

From the West, you are used to the concept of being guilty, when you are the cause of the incident. In Cambodia, you are upfront considered guilty by law, if you are the bigger and/or richer party. The law states you go to jail for a long period, if 2 or more people are longer then several weeks hospital bound (or dead), independent of the western concept of being guilty.

So, if a moto with 2 people suddenly decide to cross the street, you hit them full, they both die, then you'll end up in Cambodian jail. Some 10 years or so, happy living, simply because you saved yourself a few buck for the insurance.
v12

Postby Petrol Head » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:32 am

V12 I owe you an apology - I have clearly misinterpreted.

If a tourist, then the way to drive a car is via Scoffer/Dads method; securing a international license from home prior to leaving.

If here for more than 3 weeks my fella will get you a Khmer license (including commission, license pick up and to the door delivery) for $45.

As OSS says - 1 year's validity for giving over another license (Western/intl) more if you take the test.
Petrol Head
I drive a Lada

Postby v12 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:00 am

Petrol Head wrote:V12 I owe you an apology - I have clearly misinterpreted.

No problem, happens to me every now and then to ;)

Petrol Head wrote:If a tourist, then the way to drive a car is via Scoffer/Dads method; securing a international license from home prior to leaving.

The international drivers license is not recognized as a valid drivers license in Cambodia. Though, it's a sufficient proof of being able to drive to obtain a Cambodian drivers license on top of that. When you are stopped on the street by the police, you can pay your way out, no problem.

The car insurance is another thing. They do only recognize the Cambodian drivers license as a valid one. If you don't have a valid Cambodian drivers license, the insurance will wave the claim in case of an accident. That's why serious and established rental companies (like Lyna) refuse to rent out cars when the renter doesn't have a Cambodian drivers license.

So, yes, you can drive on the roads turning the steering wheel without having a Cambodian drivers license, but it's illegal and you don't have insurance cover.

FYI: I did spell out 3 different car insurance contracts to get the real status about this and all of these state the above.

The rental person, where I rented a car the last time, also made a subtle remark about a failing insurance coverage without, etc, when I was about to drive off. He seemed to become much more relaxed when I showed him my Cambodian drivers license ;)

Up to you, to ignore this, though better not suggest this to others, without at least mentioning the consequences of your statements.

Petrol Head wrote:If here for more than 3 weeks my fella will get you a Khmer license (including commission, license pick up and to the door delivery) for $45.

Yeah, if your fella is able to get an accepted Sangkat address confirmation (real or fake) then this route is the normal one, nothing special on that. It's some $40-$45.

Petrol Head wrote:As OSS says - 1 year's validity for giving over another license (Western/intl) more if you take the test.

Yep, do the local exam for some $250 and you can get a 5 years Cambodian drivers license. If it's based on the foreign drivers license, you only get 1 year.
v12

Postby djaid48 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:09 am

Has anyone on 440 done the driving test for 5 year license?
If so, what was the procedure and can the test be taken in English?
djaid48
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby andyinasia » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 am

djaid48 wrote:Has anyone on 440 done the driving test for 5 year license?

My wife took her test yesterday - the written test is now pretty tough (for a Cambodian), and can only be done in Khmer. The written test takes an hour or so, then you have to wait about 10-14 days for the driving test. She did hers through a legit driving school (ABC).

As far as 1 year vs 5 year licence goes, the only difference is price: 1 year for 50-something dollars and a 5 year one for 200-something dollars (prices at Lucky Lucky and comparable agents) - not much of a saving, really.

I thought an international drivers' licence was legit for the first few months in the country (forget how long). Maybe that's changed.
Ain't nobody got time for that!
andyinasia
440 is hard-wired into my eyes

Postby djaid48 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks AiA
At least if I reniew my license and visa around the same time, each would remind me of the other.
Also, what's the deal about medical certificates for drivers over the age of 65?
djaid48
440 newbie - handle with care

Drivers License

Postby Brian Bibble » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 am

As you know, everyone except a few thousands foreigners have 5 years driver license. All drivers near 65 years old who wishes to renew their license must pass a health test (mostly eyes test) just like in some other countries. If your eyes are good enough, you still get a shorter permit, 3 years only instead of 5 years if I remember well.

To renew a 1 year license: 4 photos, passport and 33$
If its your first Cambodian license, same thing same price but a lot of extra paperwork like proof of current address.
For an extra 20$, no paperwork. Just your homeland license, passport, 33$+20$ and 4 photos (or maybe more for the first time).
Brian Bibble

Postby LaudJohn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 am

andyinasia wrote:
djaid48 wrote:Has anyone on 440 done the driving test for 5 year license?

My wife took her test yesterday - the written test is now pretty tough (for a Cambodian), and can only be done in Khmer. The written test takes an hour or so, then you have to wait about 10-14 days for the driving test. She did hers through a legit driving school (ABC).

My wife did the same thing at a legit driving school in SHV in 2008.

She didn't like the manual car of the instructor so she bought and Automatic one to use for the lessons.

The written test cost $10 to have completed for her and the practical test cost $20 to have done for her. Result a 5 year licence.

I then taught her how to drive correctly. Mind you not much traffic in SHV in those days and she would not drive to PP.

It was a different matter in Australia, she managed to pass the written test, and it took her 4 goes to pass the practical test, which cost me well over $1k in lessons and test fees.
Note to self: Must be nice to morons.
LaudJohn
Feminist Watch List

Location: The Beautiful Sunny Cambodian Riviera - Sihanoukville

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and Answers