• Advertisement
Karcher

Where should I go for a medical emergency/accident in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Where should I go for a medical emergency/accident in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville?

Postby florian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Just asked this question to my European insurance company, and they basically told me they have no idea.
So if someone has an accident or medical emergency requiring immediate attention, where would you go
in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville?

S.O.S is an obvious answer but I've read people (Lina from Movetocambodia.com) recommending against it.
I remember some talk on here about some new Vietnamese clinic also, any info on that one?

Thanks
florian
I live above an internet cafe

Re: Where should I go for a medical emergency/accident in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville?

Postby Miguelito » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:14 pm

If you’re downtown Phnom Penh and have a heart attack or are in an accident with a severed limb or severe internal bleeding, go to Callmette. Otherwise, Royal Phnom Penh.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Re: Where should I go for a medical emergency/accident in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville?

Postby starkmonster » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:30 am

SOS or Raffles as it's now know is a clinic, it's a good first point of contact for non emergencies.

Traffic is now a major factor if it's a true emergency. If I was north I would go to Royal Phnom Penh, south go to Kheema international (not to be confused with Kheema clinic Toul Kork).

Then Calmette as a last resort.

Don't go to Chow Ray the big shiny new Vietnamese hospital on route 1, they have no ER. I discovered that the hard way after taking a child there who I'd resuscitated after drowning.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
starkmonster
MerkinMaker

Postby gavinmac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:44 am

Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 am

Miguelito wrote:If you’re downtown Phnom Penh and have a heart attack or are in an accident with a severed limb or severe internal bleeding, go to Callmette.

Why not just bleed out or shoot yourself? Cheaper.

Calmette? Seriously?
son of vladimir

Postby rgrowden » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:24 am

Bangkok.
rgrowden
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby Mèo Đen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:25 am

First choice Central Hospital http://www.central-hospital.com/ch/ Very good level of care and good value for money. The A&E section is pretty quick and efficient.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby florian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:06 am

Thanks you guys for the great responses. There seems to be two opinions one
is the Royal Phnom Penh/Kheema and Meo Den recommends Central Hospital?
How's Central Hospital compared to the Royal PP/Kheema ?
florian

Postby RainMan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:40 am

One things for certain, don't get sick in Laos. They told me to take an aspirin when I was pissing what looked like blood. Flew to Bangkok.
Never mind.
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith

Postby Mèo Đen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 pm

florian wrote:Thanks you guys for the great responses. There seems to be two opinions one
is the Royal Phnom Penh/Kheema and Meo Den recommends Central Hospital?
How's Central Hospital compared to the Royal PP/Kheema ?

Way cheaper but service excellent I and friends have had a lot of care here since it opened. Including treatment for TBI, surgery skin grafts. They also have a french trained Gyno that has treated a number of girls I know,
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby Miguelito » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

son of vladimir wrote:
Miguelito wrote:If you’re downtown Phnom Penh and have a heart attack or are in an accident with a severed limb or severe internal bleeding, go to Callmette.

Why not just bleed out or shoot yourself? Cheaper.

Calmette? Seriously?

If it’s an absolute emergency, yes. I know someone that got rushed there and had heart surgery on the spot and is fine - he might now have made it to RUPP.

I’m pretty sure the US Embassy gives the same recommendation to its staff as mine.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Bubble T » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:31 pm

I've been on this site for a long time and this may well be the worst advice I've ever seen anyone give here.

Miguelito wrote:I know someone that got rushed there and had heart surgery on the spot and is fine - he might now have made it to RUPP.

I take it you didn't know Juan? Calamette did a bunch of xrays, told him he was fine and sent him home with a box of painkilllers. Turned out he had a badly fractured skull and died at home several hours later. For every positive anecdote you can provide about Calamette, others can provide a horrific alternative.

I’m pretty sure the US Embassy gives the same recommendation to its staff as mine.

Last I checked they sent their staff to Naga Clinic, though that was a long time ago so I have no idea.
Bubble T
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 am

If it's not too crucial, I'd recommend Central Hospital on 154, they are very professional and don't charge huge prices. For broken bones you could try the military hospital on the quay Preah Ket Melea, they are very experienced. As for the criticism of Calmette, there are a whole lot of clinics here who will fail in their treatment and then send the patient on there anyway. It's actually a very well-equipped facility, but that's not really the issue. It suffers from the same under-funding as every other facility. I thought Calmette was rough but I've been in about ten worse hospitals around the place since that changed my mind.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby ricecakes » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:02 pm

You soft cocks need to harden the fuck up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqZNGt-jsw
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby son of vladimir » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:It's actually a very well-equipped facility, but that's not really the issue. It suffers from the same under-funding as every other facility.

The equipment is seldom the problem, the people using the equipment and the admin and after-care are the problem.

Sen Sok International or Royal Rattanak, far better choices.
son of vladimir

Next

Return to Questions and Answers