• Advertisement
Karcher

Medical insurance for MiL

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Medical insurance for MiL

Postby Tom Lung » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:40 am

I need to get (or have been asked by my wife) to get descent medical insurance for my mother-in-law. She's Khmer living in PP. Any good companies anyone can recommend and prices?
Tom Lung
5 minutes to kill

Re: Medical insurance for MiL

Postby ricecakes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 am

Er....why ?

Buy her a buffalo. Far more useful. :!:
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby Mèo Đen » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:45 am

Tom Lung wrote:I need to get (or have been asked by my wife) to get descent medical insurance for my mother-in-law. She's Khmer living in PP. Any good companies anyone can recommend and prices?

That's a new one! Sign of the times? :-o
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby Tom Lung » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:40 am

Surely there is a demand from the Khmer middle classes? Insurance against extortionate bills from a descent hospital in an emergency.
Tom Lung
5 minutes to kill

Postby kansaicanuck » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 am

Why would anyone get insurance for anything when for the same price a new iPhone x could be had for half a years earnings?! Don't be silly with all this precautionary planning crap. (side note, not sure but might be interested to know the answer)
kansaicanuck
I need professional help

Postby Tom Lung » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:22 am

ricecakes wrote:Er....why ?

Buy her a buffalo. Far more useful. :!:

Can't see how useful a buffalo would be in the center of PP ...???

Perhaps enlighten me with your wisdom.
Tom Lung
5 minutes to kill

Postby ricecakes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 am

A buffalo could be put to work so she can pay for her own effin insurance. :grin:

In all seriousness though, i think you will find that you are better off paying as you go for the MIL if she gets crook or in an accident etc.
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby gavinmac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 am

ricecakes wrote:
In all seriousness though, i think you will find that you are better off paying as you go for the MIL if she gets crook or in an accident etc.

Is the correct expat plan to get health insurance for yourself, the wife and kids so you get proper Western-level medical care, evacuation to Bangkok etc., but if the mother in law gets really sick you give her $50 to go to the local Khmer witch doctor?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby 1984 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 am

Depends how much you like the mother in law.

What about the father in law, brothers in law, sisters in law?

If you really don't like them you can sign them up for the NSSF http://www.nssf.gov.kh/default/health-care-scheme-2/
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 am

There is decent local health insurance available from $70 upwards from Forte & Infinity.
This covers local treatment for most things up to a limit.
Though in my experience many locals don’t really appreciate health insurance - they don’t really understand it & kind of want their money back if they don’t make a claim within the year.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby LexusSchmexus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 am

That's why they get taken in by the while "life insurance" spiel. I know several young Khmers who are paying a relatively big chunk of change into life insurance. I think my girlfriend pays 30-50$/month into it. When I point out that they should get health insurance, not life insurance, they stare at me blankly. I have to explain that what drains a family's resources isn't a funeral, but the cost of medical care in the case of an accident, palliative care and so on. Once you die that's it. That's the cheap part.

On the plus side, they do get the money back, so it's sort of a savings scheme. Not as high as if you'd just saved it yourself, of course, but not too bad nonetheless. However, for 90% of them, once they get the money they'll likely blow it all. It's a clever way of introducing it to the kingdom, as I've never heard of such a policy back home.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Return to Questions and Answers