Rum

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Rum

Postby ricecakes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Anyone know a good retailer for decent rum? Diplomatico,Don Julio etc?
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Re: Rum

Postby vladimir » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Maybe Supercheap?

Try asking the guy at the small shop next to Lucky Sihanouk, the guy that sells the fine whiskies
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby Playboy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Maybe the big Bayon on Russian, they have a large selection of good spirits

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby drwahwah » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:13 pm

vladimir wrote:
Try asking the guy at the small shop next to Lucky Sihanouk, the guy that sells the fine whiskies

H has a good selection there, Just finished this one bought there

drwahwah
I need professional help

Postby epidemiks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Little John's must have a decent selection.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby pedros » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby ricecakes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 am

Many thanks all
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby vladimir » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:53 am

No offence, but rum is generally seen as a bit of a bogan's drink...Mekong whisky was, in fact, rum

When are you upping your game to whisky or decent wine in keeping with your new-found wealth? :grin:
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby Miguelito » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:58 am

The guys at La Familia have very good bottles of rum, including the diplomaticos and plantation (try their pineapple rum... seriously). But they’ve closed their store on 244, and haven’t opened a new one yet (I think I heard that they’re moving to Exchange Square). A lot of bars in town are actually experiencing frustrations as they’re having a hard time getting their required products from them at the moment.

The shop next to lucky has some great high end rum (and Bayon has some as well). Despite Vlad’s comment, I would challenge any diehard whisky drinker who is anti-rum to try the Ron Zacapa XO, which is a blended rum with some aged up to 25 years in French cognac barrels. A more affordable option which is also excellent is the Flor de Caña 18 (the 12 is even good enough). Those are all available next to Lucky.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby ricecakes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 am

I've been a whiskey drinker for years. However someone introduced me to captain morgan before Christmas and I'm now greatly enjoying delving in to rums. Whiskey in volume gives me a splitting headache whereas with rum the next day I'm just really lethargic.

Today's mission was good. I visited ;

Shop next to lucky :shut
Samai ; only had the standard rum $27. No red pepper or XO.
Super Duper near sothearos : only had a few lower end selections
The drinks shops at kendal ; the one on the LHS as you look at them both has a very good selection and I got DIPLOMATICO @ $35 but the RHS was cheaper at $15 for Mount Gay ( vlad's birthplace) vs $18 next door. Also bought a one ltr captain morgan dark spiced at $11.

Ships ahoy.....it's rum tonight.
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 am

Trinidad has some of the finest rums in the world. That was one of my low points in life swaggering around like a drunken pirate. Good shit.

http://ultimaterumguide.com/trinidad-tobago/
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby Miguelito » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:35 am

Good effort Ricecakes.

I’m not a fan at all of the normal Samai rum (especially at that price point) but the red pepper and XO are decent.

The normal Mount Gay is a good standby to have around for rum and tonics/sodas. Good history with that rum, back in the day you could only get a barrel of it by sailing into the harbor, which was a rather difficult task, so if your boat had a cask of Mount Gay aboard it gave you some nice sea cred. The XO is good enough to drink on the rocks.

I still recommend giving the Flor de Caña a try once the shop reopens.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby vladimir » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 pm

ricecakes wrote:Ships ahoy.....it's rum tonight.

Are you inviting pirates?
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby drwahwah » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Miguelito wrote:The guys at La Familia have very good bottles of rum, including the diplomaticos and plantation (try their pineapple rum... seriously). But they’ve closed their store on 244, and haven’t opened a new one yet (I think I heard that they’re moving to Exchange Square). A lot of bars in town are actually experiencing frustrations as they’re having a hard time getting their required products from them at the moment.

La Familia re- opening soon in Raintree Building
drwahwah
I need professional help

Postby ricecakes » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Migs
I've clearly got alot to learn about rum.
Mount Gay sponsors(ed) the Sydney to Hobart race so was a staple on all yachts. I never did the race but it stuck in my mind.
I went to Sydney University and lived at a men's college that was infamous for semi formals that were drenched in bundaberg rum and coke. And also vomit.
Anyways...looking forward to moving up the rum tree and finding my signature brand.
Rc
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Next

Return to Questions and Answers