Portable A/C

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Re: Portable A/C

Postby Nasty Canasta » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 pm

rgrowden wrote:Got it. VTG012 Portable Air Conditioner. Bought at #416 Preah Sihanouk, or St 274. Cost $290. 9000 BTU, 2 speed fan, digital, swing vent, sleep mode, automatic full water tank shutoff, easy drain. I call it R2 - looks just like. Plugged it in, cats won't leave the room. They love it. Should cool a living room no problem, my little bedroom will be easy. Bring on the heat!

Googled that but got stuff all.

Is that a refrigerative AC or is it evaporative? What is the water tank for? Makes it sound like an evap. Or, is that for condensation?
Nasty Canasta
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:58 am

didnt look deep enough to notice there was water involved. you might want to carefully read through the 2 pages of comments here misting fan
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt
I live above an internet cafe

Postby rgrowden » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:44 am

It's a regular a/c, with freon and a compressor. The water extracted from the humid air is used to cool the compressor. Excess water is stored in an internal tank. If humidity is excessive, the tank holds it. If it's prolonged, the tank fills. When it's full, the a/c stops. Drain the water, you're good to go again.

I used it all night, just got up. BUY ONE!
rgrowden
I have some social problems

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 am

i admit i dont know a great deal about airconditioners but seems to me if you put an airconditioner inside a room and pump electricity into it the laws of physics say the room will get hotter not cooler
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt

Postby rgrowden » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:02 pm

A fan pumps the hot air from the back of the unit through a flexible tube to a window; vented outside the room.
rgrowden

Postby Nasty Canasta » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:40 pm

rgrowden wrote:It's a regular a/c, with freon and a compressor. The water extracted from the humid air is used to cool the compressor. Excess water is stored in an internal tank. If humidity is excessive, the tank holds it. If it's prolonged, the tank fills. When it's full, the a/c stops. Drain the water, you're good to go again.

I used it all night, just got up. BUY ONE!

Thank you for that, that's exactly the kind of unit that I was looking for about 4 years ago!
Nasty Canasta
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby slavedog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:51 pm

rgrowden wrote:A fan pumps the hot air from the back of the unit through a flexible tube to a window; vented outside the room.

So one must sleep with the window open?
slavedog
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:47 pm

rgrowden wrote:A fan pumps the hot air from the back of the unit through a flexible tube to a window; vented outside the room.

oh ok
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:53 pm

slavedog wrote:

So one must sleep with the window open?

Seemingly so.
Room is nice and cool but full of mosquitos!
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Postby rgrowden » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 pm

The window must be open 10 - 12 cm. Included with the unit are spacers of the same size which one inserts to block the rest of the opening. There is even a slide so that you can close the window off when not running the a/c. They thought of it all.
rgrowden

Postby slavedog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 pm

I don't know. For a few bucks more you can buy a 1hp Panasonic unit, on the wall, out the way, no tanks to empty, no spacers to sod about with...
slavedog
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby vladimir » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm

I bought a Carrier Crystal 1.5 for $150, 2nd hand 6 month guarantee from Fridgeair.

Why do you need a portable one? I don't recall you explaining that.

If you regularly travel to a second home on weekends and have the space to transport this back and forth in a car...but then you could probably afford a fixed AC unit.
Unless you believe that the future can be better, it's unlikely you will step up and take responsibility for making it so. If you assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope. -Noam Chomsky
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:33 pm

I can see why some people would buy portable.
Maybe small house and want a machine in each room.
Maybe don’t want to install an air con into what could be a relatively short term rental.
Don’t want to ask landlord to stick one in as they will likely then increase rental price. Don’t want to buy themselves as they will lose it or the deposit at the end of rental contract.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers