Who owns what

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Who owns what

Postby Ouch » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Is Sorya, City, Savanna and Ratanna Malls all owned by the one group. I lost the slip for the moto parking and they fined me $5 before releasing my moto. Thats a days wages for a local that can only afford a moto. I want to know which mall to avoid in the future, already going half a click or so further to go to Thai Hoot. Even found I can get proper powered milk there. Can a private company fine people, I thought only a government could fine people. To top it off I also forgot to take my license and rego card with me, another $5 for 20 minutes in a took. Cant remember the last time I forgot to take my rego papers with me, just one of those days.
Ouch
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Who owns what

Postby epidemiks » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:31 pm

$5 sounds cheap. If I forget my keys for my new.. I mean, my moto .. will it be another $5 for them to hotwire it?

Any parking area will charge you if you lose the slip. At best, you'll need to wait until all other motos are claimed and they're closing for the night.

Solution: don't lose the slip.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm

epidemiks wrote:.

Solution: don't lose the slip.

none of these half measures mate
solution: dont drive a moto. walk or catch the 1500 riel buses instead
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm

It sounds better than them giving your bike away to some thief who pretends they lost the slip.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby v12 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 pm

A more nasty one is, when they write license plate numbers on the receipt and they write down the wrong number. I caught them in time with that at the TK Avenue shopping centre (Lucky Burger and the cinema). I can assume, the boys in brown might get involved, etc.

Another event, they did short change me on 10K Riel, kept holding my hand up and i got the remainder.
v12
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby v12 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:It sounds better than them giving your bike away to some thief who pretends they lost the slip.

Yep, though the theft problem might be more often an insider job......
v12
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby gavinmac » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:It sounds better than them giving your bike away to some thief who pretends they lost the slip.

Will they give it away to a thief with $5?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm

gavinmac wrote:

Will they give it away to a thief with $5?

one assumes he would need a key to go along with his $5
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt
I live above an internet cafe

Postby the chicken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Hmmm, I lost the moto ticket a few times and all demanded for my bike registration card, had to go back and forth. Sounds like a lucrative side job if all you had a to pay is 5 or 10 bucks for losing the ticket. I aint no grand thief auto expert but you could ignite the bike with no key in less than a min.
the chicken
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby LexusSchmexus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Did you show them the registration card in your name? If not, then how can they know you're the rightful owner? Sounds to me like you're the one who's wrong here.

The flip side, of course, is that those places are manned my brain dead people and the companies won't compensate you in the event of a loss. I know someone who got a bicycle stolen and they didn't compensate the full purchase price, which defeats the whole purpose of the "security". I usually refuse the tickets by telling them I'm only going in for a bit, as I find the ticket system annoying as hell. Only place I'll do it is somewhere like Aeon where it's mandatory. I do know of a guy who got money from a company after they dropped his bike and he got video footage from the shop owner, then showed it to the security company... Still, I don't think they'd ever pay you in full if your bike got stolen, so I don't use them. Next time put your ticket in your wallet and don't lose it. Lesson learned.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby the chicken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:37 pm

LexusSchmexus wrote:Did you show them the registration card in your name? If not, then how can they know you're the rightful owner? Sounds to me like you're the one who's wrong here.

No, showing the bike's registration card just help to prove you are legit. Just makes their job easier so they can avoid taking the down fall. Besides, I dont know any friends who bothered going through the official process of having it in their name for a less than $1000 haggle price bike on the street or shop for that matter.
the chicken

Postby Mèo Đen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:07 pm

the chicken wrote:
LexusSchmexus wrote:Did you show them the registration card in your name? If not, then how can they know you're the rightful owner? Sounds to me like you're the one who's wrong here.

No, showing the bike's registration card just help to prove you are legit. Just makes their job easier so they can avoid taking the down fall. Besides, I dont know any friends who bothered going through the official process of having it in their name for a less than $1000 haggle price bike on the street or shop for that matter.

Really :shock: My bike is registered in my name, cost me $15.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby the chicken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 pm

How long did it take you? I went through the official process with other paper work for documentations and it takes days and nothing is done, this that this that. I was fed up had a connect friend to tag along and it was done in less than 30 mins. I am just saying if you are buying a less than 1000 bucks no need to going through the burden of finding where find to have the name and have the registration card in your own name, on the off chance they might ask for you for your WP too, lol. As long as you have the RC and have a license plate is suffice. And more likely than not, they will drag the proccess and ask the seller of the bike to come along and prove that his bike is under his name. Well I supposed its a good thing.
the chicken

Postby LexusSchmexus » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Same here. $15 bucks, one hour. Only problem in Cambodia is that they make it hard to change names. At the moment it's no longer possible to put a bike I'm a foreigner's name as well. Still, unless you have valid registration (in your name just helps), I don't see how they're wrong for keeping it.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:49 pm

So who owns what? I don't really know who owns the various malls you listed:

Ouch wrote:Is Sorya, City, Savanna and Ratanna Malls all owned by the one group.

I don't believe they are owned by the same group though, the way they are managed is completely different. Sorya was the first modern mall, but declined and got pretty tacky. Recently it has had a huge refurbishment though and looks a whole lot better. Sovannna was a big deal when it first opened, it was in the middle of a big new development called "Golden City" that seemed very flashy at the time. It all looked very modern and developed, but the roads around there have gone to shit since. It was a major slum area before the new developments, and there are still some slums at the back of it which are mostly hidden from the streets. The old Sovanna vegetable market is quite a contrast from the nearby mall. Anyway a whole lot of units have closed down there above ground floor, but there's a good new cinema there. City Mall is the pits. The basic columns and structure were put up a long time ago, but the construction was closed down for about 5 years. If you wander around it a bit you can see a lot of it is semi derelict. I used to go to the cinema there a bit but it was really difficult to find your way around. The shops above ground floor were all trash, even though it tried to start off looking smooth. I was in the car park there one night and there was an insane nightclub down there with mad kids racing around the carpark on bikes and loads of fog and lazers and heavy beats. It was like a warehouse party in Hackney in 1993.

Can a private company fine people, I thought only a government could fine people.

These places are privately owned. You either use their parking facilities or some other nearby one or take the risk of parking in an unguarded area. They have a fairly simple system of ticketing, and they usually do a fairly good job of minding your motorbike and helmet. They might even scribble a number in indelible ink all over your front light if you are really lucky. You can't complain, they didn't lose your bike, you lost your ticket and didn't bring documentation to prove that it was yours. Security guards get paid very little and will be instantly dismissed if they don't follow procedure and something goes missing. It might be inconvenient for you but the procedures are in your interest.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Next

Return to Questions and Answers