Are there Jobs I could be doing other than teaching English?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Are there Jobs I could be doing other than teaching English?

Postby Putin4ever » Thu May 03, 2018 3:48 am

I am an expat from the USA living in Phnom Penh and would prefer a job that is more challenging. I have a degree in Political Science and would love to be able to work as a political Analyst. I love HE which angers my girlfriend and I am very Pro-China and Russia. I also love banks. If I am to teach I would like to teach history, government, or philosophy.
Putin4ever
5 minutes to kill

Re: Are there Jobs I could be doing other than teaching English?

Postby KPTIC » Fri May 04, 2018 6:04 am

You have a liberal arts degree. You are most likely stuck teaching English unless you can make some social connections.

If you want to start teaching real subjects at real schools, you will need to get certified. https://teach-now.com will get you a Washington DC teaching credential, but you can do it remotely. You will just need to find a school in Phnom Penh that will work with them to do your student teaching semester in Cambodia. I know a girl who did teach now and ended up at Northbridge, so it is legit.
KPTIC
I live above an internet cafe

Postby over the rainbow » Fri May 04, 2018 9:24 am

BA degree only? you'll need your teaching credential's to get a good job at a good school, ( other than teaching English)
Not sure what work would be available to you in your field otherwise..

American;;; Pro Chinese/Russian?
over the rainbow
I live above an internet cafe

Postby crazyjohn » Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 am

You love the Russians, the Chinese and banks. Your studying seems to have been a total waste of time. Perhaps you should write to Mr HE, he has similar opinions to you. He probably owns a few banks.
crazyjohn
I've got internet at work

Postby Gin&Tonic » Sat May 05, 2018 5:18 pm

The most educated poster here (or at least he claims to be), Vladimir, could give you advice on how to step out of entry level teaching.

He also has a love of the banks so you two should get on like a house on fire.
Gin&Tonic
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Return to Questions and Answers