Teaching English without a degree. So many mixed messages. What's the truth?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Teaching English without a degree. So many mixed messages. What's the truth?

Postby Bennu » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:16 am

I've been hearing a lot of total opposite information about teaching English without a degree. So, if one has a TEFL and looks and sounds professional, but has no degree or teaching experience, should they be able to find a job fairly easily?

I've heard that there are swarms of people unable to find work, and then I hear a lot of stories of people who found work easily, in a day or two. I see scruffy looking road dogs getting jobs and then I hear of people with a degree and experience unable to find work.

So, what's the truth about it?
Bennu
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Teaching English without a degree. So many mixed messages. What's the truth?

Postby electrolime » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 am

The experience will differ from person to person. Where are you from? What do you look like? Is English your first language?
electrolime
5 minutes to kill

Re: Teaching English without a degree. So many mixed messages. What's the truth?

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:01 am

Bennu wrote:I've been hearing a lot of total opposite information about teaching English without a degree. So, if one has a TEFL and looks and sounds professional, but has no degree or teaching experience, should they be able to find a job fairly easily?

I've heard that there are swarms of people unable to find work, and then I hear a lot of stories of people who found work easily, in a day or two. I see scruffy looking road dogs getting jobs and then I hear of people with a degree and experience unable to find work.

So, what's the truth about it?

Truth is ... you sell yourself. Scruffy lookin or not. Degree or not. Experience ............. well, that's something else. Speak to Vlad.
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby Blodwyn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:26 am

The correct answer to your question is both yes and no. It's purely up to whether the person interviewing you likes you or not. Cambodia style. I know people at ACE without a degree or CELTA, and I know people who have been turned down at BELTEI with 19 years experience, a degree in English education, a PGCE and a CELTA.

However, unless you are very desperate, I don't advise you coming to Cambodia to teach without either because you'll more than likely (95%of jobs) be getting paid less than $4 an hour, when you take in all the unpaid exam/ curriculum writing, exam marking and 3 months of unpaid term breaks and holidays.
Last edited by Blodwyn on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blodwyn
5 minutes to kill

Postby violet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am

Blodwyn wrote:The correct answer to your question is both yes and no. It's purely up to whether the person interviewing you likes you or not. Cambodia style. I know people at ACE without a degree or CELTA, and I know people who have been turned down at BELTEI with 19 years experience, a degree in English education, a PGCE and a CELTA.

However, unless you are very desperate, I don't advise you coming to Cambodia to teach without either because you'll more than likely (95%of jobs) be getting paid less than $4 an hour. If you take in all the unpaid exam/ curriculum writing, exam marking and 3 months of term breaks and holidays.

Really? There are English language teachers at ACE without a degree or CELTA? Do they have a teaching qualification?
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Blodwyn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 am

violet wrote:
Blodwyn wrote:The correct answer to your question is both yes and no. It's purely up to whether the person interviewing you likes you or not. Cambodia style. I know people at ACE without a degree or CELTA, and I know people who have been turned down at BELTEI with 19 years experience, a degree in English education, a PGCE and a CELTA.

However, unless you are very desperate, I don't advise you coming to Cambodia to teach without either because you'll more than likely (95%of jobs) be getting paid less than $4 an hour. If you take in all the unpaid exam/ curriculum writing, exam marking and 3 months of term breaks and holidays.

Really? There are English language teachers at ACE without a degree or CELTA? Do they have a teaching qualification?

It's much worse than that, when you start digging into it. A lot of the Khmer staff haven't got diddly squat and are in management positions at many of the schools. Also, some westerners too. I met one such Khmer DOS who was being flown to Australia for a high level education meeting. At Australia's expense of course. The guy was actually military police.
Blodwyn
5 minutes to kill

Postby violet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am

DOS means director of security? Is there an issue with a military policeman being a director of security?

Edit. DOS...director of studies
violet

Postby the chicken » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:45 am

Yes. In short, if a grumpy grandma like Violet can be a teacher here, anyone could.
the chicken
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby violet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:54 am

the chicken wrote:Yes. In short, if a grumpy grandma like Violet can be a teacher here, anyone could.

I used to laugh. Laughter has been taken away. I hope not forever.

As for teaching, I have a degree plus. Also, I have a CELTA. I tried hard to improve within the time constraints and work/life balance. I may not be the best teacher but I am fairly confident I am not the worst. At least I didn't get paid to sit and read my phone while students worked through photocopiables. At least I don't shrug off situations under the guise of something not being my job, when others fail to do theirs. I am all about the customer experience. Sometimes I am not the best deliverer of a great experience, but I can guarantee I have huge care factor and would greatly like to ensure others who are more capable deliver quality to the customer at all times. Agile workers are not confined by job titles.

What do you do chicken?

Oh, and for the record....some of the best people don't have degrees and didn't finish school.

Edited a typo and added some xontent
Last edited by violet on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
violet

Postby the chicken » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 am

After 5 years of this dead-end profession I am contemplating on being the next Jewburry.
the chicken
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby violet » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:08 am

Good luck
violet

Return to Questions and Answers