Thailand to shed 'sex tourism' tag soon

Believe it or not, there is a whole other world outside of Cambodia, be it people or politics, frustrations or football, this is the place to talk about it.

Thailand to shed 'sex tourism' tag soon

Postby Phuket2006 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Arguably called the sex tourism capital of the world, Thailand is now deliberately using the family tourism label to shed the sex destination tag, a Thai diplomat said here Friday.

Speaking to the media on the sidelines of an event organised in Panaji to promote Thailand as a tourism destination, Tomwit Jarnson, the Thai consul general in Mumbai, said family tourism would eventually edge Thailand away from the slur of 'sex tourism' in the years to come.

"We are trying to project Thailand as a family tourism destination. We are slowly changing the perception of Thailand to the rest of the world," Jarnson said.

Jarnson said the Thai food and dance festival in Goa, in association with the Vivanta by Taj hotels and resorts, was just such an attempt to project Thailand as a place steeped in culture, which is quite similar to the culture of the Indian sub-continent and tradition and a rich and diverse culinary palette.

"Destination Thailand is an annual event organised by us which helps us reach out to the people of India through our food, music and dance. We are very happy to have the festival in Goa this year where the people of this city will experience the unique characteristics and rich cultural heritage which our country has to offer," he said.

"We are slowly developing facilities in Thailand which will attract family tourism. We have a lot of Indian families who travel to Thailand," Jarnson said.

He further said that the Thailand tourism authorities were trying to project Phuket - which, along with Bangkok and Pattaya, is regarded as the prime sex tourism area in Thailand - as a family tourism destination.

Although banned by law, prostitution is common place in the tourism districts of Thailand, which nearly 14 million tourists visit annually -- a large chunk of these are single males or male groups of tourists seeking sex or sex-oriented fun.

A recent World Health Organisation (WHO) report has pegged the number of female prostitutes in the country at 2 lakh.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/travel/Thailand-to-shed-sex-tourism-tag-soon/articleshow/9672487.cms

When Pigs Fly :thumbsup:

For those of u that don't know what a Lakh is that's 200,0000,
Phuket2006

Re: Thailand to shed 'sex tourism' tag soon

Postby angsta » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm

lol ha ha ha ha ha ha...I know it's gonna happen someday...
angsta
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Khmeria » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 pm

They're doing a pretty good job in Russia and India.

Pattaya and Phuket are both filled with them. Russians in particular. And they're with their families. They don't seem to be too interested in the sex tourism stuff. Even the young males always have girlfriends with them.
Khmeria
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby Feticheur » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:07 am

The russians enjoy pattaya because they can wear there horrible cloth and get dead drunk before noon. The indians just wanna get drugged and robbed. Don´t know if families from other nations would enjoy that.
But you never know, there are a lot of arabs in the lover suk-area and I always wonder what they are doing there so you never know how things will develop.
Feticheur
I live above an internet cafe

Postby SunSan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:20 am

Here's the Indian numbering system. I've only ever heard lakh (I think you got a typo there, P) and crore used.

Not very different to Cambodia or Thailand where they have names for 10k and 100k, and maybe more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_numbering_system
SunSan
Clinically Addicted to 440

Postby vladimir » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:39 am

'Arguably called the sex tourism capital of the world, Thailand is now deliberately using the family tourism label'

I'm heading back to open a bar catering to incestuous patrons.

Oh, brother. The family restaurant, with games the whole family can play.

Perhaps they can use Dylan for a theme song:

'Oh sister, when i come to lie in your arms, you should not treat me like a stranger'.
'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.'
vladimir
Fluffy Bunny

Postby Soi Dog » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Khmeria wrote:They're doing a pretty good job in Russia and India.
They don't seem to be too interested in the sex tourism stuff.

I can assure you that the Indians are most definitely interested in the "sex-tourism stuff".
Soi Dog

Postby Khmeria » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Soi Dog wrote:
Khmeria wrote:They're doing a pretty good job in Russia and India.
They don't seem to be too interested in the sex tourism stuff.

I can assure you that the Indians are most definitely interested in the "sex-tourism stuff".

They are, but they're also aware that they're not welcome.
Khmeria
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby PJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm

@Soi Dog - correct, as are the Arabs, there is a particular type of Thai ho, wearing a particular style of make-up, frequenting particular hotels and areas in the the lower Suk area - they are not there for fun but for an ever-growing clientele from the mid-east.
And, with due respect, the Indians and Arabs are 'not welcome' in some areas/place for very good reasons.
PJ

Postby vladimir » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:20 pm

'The russians enjoy pattaya because they can wear there horrible cloth and get dead drunk before noon.'

They can't do that in Russia? Or anywhere else?
'I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.'
vladimir
Fluffy Bunny

Postby Phuket2006 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:21 pm

There used to be a sign in Jan bar in Pattaya back in the 80's that said in English and Arabic, : "To all Arabs; We don't fuck ur women so don't fuck with ours"

There are certain parts of Bangkok ( soi 3 area) and parts of Pattaya that you would think ur in the middle east except for the WHITE/Overweight Thai girls
Phuket2006

Postby SunSan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Phuket2006 wrote:There used to be a sign in Jan bar in Pattaya back in the 80's that said in English and Arabic, : "To all Arabs; We don't fuck ur women so don't fuck with ours"

Nothing quite proves Thai racism more than this :grin:

If Arab girls were as cheap as Thai girls, and Thais could fly to the ME cheaply, of course they'd be fucking Arab girls.

Right now they're travelling to China, Cambodia and Vietnam on all male 'fuck tours'.
SunSan
Clinically Addicted to 440

Postby Feticheur » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:25 am

vladimir wrote:'The russians enjoy pattaya because they can wear there horrible cloth and get dead drunk before noon.'

They can't do that in Russia? Or anywhere else?

Of course they can do that in russia, that´s the reason why they like pattaya. It´s there home away from home, so to speak.
Feticheur

Return to 'Not' Cambodia