Questions about Siem Reap

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Questions about Siem Reap

Postby jp_mtl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:03 am

Hello.

I'm thinking of moving in Siem Reap.

- I see a lot of discussions about finding a flat/house in PP and Sihanoukville, but no discussion about SR. How difficult is it to find a 1br/small studio for 100 to 200$/month? Are there any good areas, and areas to avoid?

- How walkable is it as a city? Guidebooks seems to suggest it is fine to walk around, but from the pics I've seen of the city, it doesn't seem like so.

- What is the best Internet provider? Is having a passport enough to get an internet connection?

- Is the Royal Angkor International Hospital decent enough to take care of every medical problem? How much does a consultation cost?

That's all I can think of so far. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance for any help. :P
jp_mtl
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby Fox Mulder » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:04 am

I see a lot of discussions about finding a flat/house in PP and Sihanoukville, but no discussion about SR. How difficult is it to find a 1br/small studio for 100 to 200$/month? Are there any good areas, and areas to avoid?
Im sure you can find apartments in that price range but you would have to look hard. $300/month is probably more reasonable.

What is the best Internet provider? Is having a passport enough to get an internet connection?
There is no "best ISP" They all overcharge and they all have sluggish speeds. Other then a passport you will need to show a lease agreement or similar to get internet.

Is the Royal Angkor International Hospital decent enough to take care of every medical problem?
No!
How much does a consultation cost?
About a months rent.
Fox Mulder
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Re: Questions about Siem Reap

Postby SunSan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:44 pm

jp_mtl wrote:Hello.

I'm thinking of moving in Siem Reap.

- I see a lot of discussions about finding a flat/house in PP and Sihanoukville, but no discussion about SR. How difficult is it to find a 1br/small studio for 100 to 200$/month? Are there any good areas, and areas to avoid?

- How walkable is it as a city? Guidebooks seems to suggest it is fine to walk around, but from the pics I've seen of the city, it doesn't seem like so.

- What is the best Internet provider? Is having a passport enough to get an internet connection?

- Is the Royal Angkor International Hospital decent enough to take care of every medical problem? How much does a consultation cost?

That's all I can think of so far. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks in advance for any help. :P

I paid 60USD for a room with attached bathroom and kitchen in a garden. If it's a western style appartment you want, as Fox and more.
The city is walkable but for longer distances use a mototaxi.
The RAIH can get you a seat on any Bangkok Air flight to Bangkok. Fee for registering used to be 70USD. It's a lousy hospital.
SunSan
Clinically Addicted to 440

Postby jp_mtl » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm

SunSan and Fox: thanks for your answers.

Hum... I'm not sure what to think now. No decent hospital, "expensive" rent, crappy Internet. :? Hum...
jp_mtl
440 newbie - handle with care

Return to Questions and Answers