Mobile phone service

A heavily-moderated forum containing essential information on various aspects of Cambodia. Only moderators can create threads, but all users can post. Questions should be asked in the Questions and Answers forum.

Mobile phone service

Postby Sambo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Please post information on accessibility, rates for local calls, rates for international calls, SMS rates, internet access, call quality, coverage, international roaming, etc for the current phone companies operating in Cambodia.

Sambo
"440 Admin, who me? No not me, TAXI!"

Re: Mobile phone service

Postby Tom Corsica » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:12 pm

SMART

http://www.smart.com.kh/

International calls: 7cts/minute

Data internet:
50 MB USD 01$
400 MB USD 03$
500 MB USD 05$
2,000 MB USD 10$
5,000 MB USD 20$
12,000 MB USD 40$

7 cts the minute to call international cellphones is really cheap. The data internet works fine on my IPhone and Ipad. 3G most of the time.

Tom Corsica
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Radioactive Anne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Beeline recently introduced a new prefix: 066
Radioactive Anne
100% Pixie

Postby Nasty Canasta » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:25 pm

My partner and I recently changed from Metphone and Mobitel to Smart - our phone bill has gone down about 4/5ths. Service is occasionally 'busy', but I really don't care because of the savings. Some OS calls are 7c per min.

Go Smart!
Nasty Canasta
I need professional help

Postby BubbaRamDas » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 am

I suppose it depends a lot on how you use a phone. We have mobitel and $5 a month does a lot--we are accumulating dollars of credit. Probabably need to call Moscow and check the weather or something.
BubbaRamDas
I've got internet at work

Postby PenhMan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Nasty Canasta wrote:My partner and I recently changed from Metphone and Mobitel to Smart - our phone bill has gone down about 4/5ths. Service is occasionally 'busy', but I really don't care because of the savings. Some OS calls are 7c per min.

Go Smart!

I just dropped Smart for Mobitel Cellcard. Things that happened: calls dropped, cannot gain signal, cannot connect with cross-network numbers, hours of inability to gain signal, people calling me say my phone is disconnected when it wasn't, 3G service drops in and out, web acess either doesn't work or cannot complete link. In summary, a miserable service, sorry to say.

SunSan said in another thread to stay away from fringe service providers and stick with biggies, Mobitel or Metfone.

But if you are not meeting the same problems I had, then you're good to go.
"We want our country to develop step by step. But that is such a long way off . . . as far away as the stars."
Jobless father in documentary Cambodia: Country of Scars.
PenhMan
I have some social problems

Postby Nasty Canasta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Go Smart![/quote]

I just dropped Smart for Mobitel Cellcard. Things that happened: calls dropped, cannot gain signal, cannot connect with cross-network numbers, hours of inability to gain signal, people calling me say my phone is disconnected when it wasn't, 3G service drops in and out, web acess either doesn't work or cannot complete link. In summary, a miserable service, sorry to say.

SunSan said in another thread to stay away from fringe service providers and stick with biggies, Mobitel or Metfone.

But if you are not meeting the same problems I had, then you're good to go.[/quote]

I just use it as a phone, not interested in other features. As I said, so far it is saving me dollars every week.

Cheers,

Nasty
Nasty Canasta
I need professional help

Postby cambod » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Cellcard 3G rocks!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

:P Move to Cambodia
cambod
K440 Superhero

Mobile phone service

Postby rob77 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Cellcard has had its fair share of shitty service but seem to have improved recently since they got all that technology and equipment from Huawei.

If cross network calling is a problem then just use multiple simcards and get one number from each operator.

This is what lots of Khmers do to take advantage of all the promos and free minutes they can get but you will end up with about 7 or 8 sims and 5 phones but it saves you loads of money...........
rob77
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Re: Re: Mobile phone service

Postby cambod » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am

rob77 wrote:Cellcard has had its fair share of shitty service but seem to have improved recently since they got all that technology and equipment from Huawei.

If cross network calling is a problem then just use multiple simcards and get one number from each operator.

This is what lots of Khmers do to take advantage of all the promos and free minutes they can get but you will end up with about 7 or 8 sims and 5 phones but it saves you loads of money...........

I guess I should have said, "Cellcard 3G rocks, in a Cambodian context!"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

:P Move to Cambodia
cambod
K440 Superhero

Postby shizzle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 am

Probably not of interest to too many, but I've found that in terms of global roaming with a Cambodian SIM card, the only one that works well wherever I go is Metfone.
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Postby Nasty Canasta » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:16 pm

shizzle wrote:Probably not of interest to too many, but I've found that in terms of global roaming with a Cambodian SIM card, the only one that works well wherever I go is Metfone.

So what do you pay to call Cambo from OS?
Nasty Canasta
I need professional help

Postby shizzle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Nasty Canasta wrote:
shizzle wrote:Probably not of interest to too many, but I've found that in terms of global roaming with a Cambodian SIM card, the only one that works well wherever I go is Metfone.

So what do you pay to call Cambo from OS?

It depends on what country you're calling from. From Laos and Vietnam, it is $0.15/minute. From other Asian countries, it is $2.50/minute. From the rest of the world, it is between $4.00 and $4.50. I just use a calling card or VOIP in those cases. The main thing is that you can consistently receive calls and send/receive SMSes. The last time I tried traveling with Mobitel (about two years ago), some of the SMSes I sent took up to a month to reach the recipient.
shizzle
440 Wind Overload

Postby vladimir » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:43 am

Metfone spam sucks sucks sucks sucks like ...help me.
Blah
vladimir
Fluffy Bunny

Postby Sok Poupe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:07 am

vladimir wrote:Metfone spam sucks sucks sucks sucks like ...help me.

yeah, I got 2 sims cellcard and metfone.
If a company in the west were spamming like metfone is, they'd have 0 customers in a few months.
Incredibly annoying.
The topic or post you are looking for does not exist.
Sok Poupe
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Next

Return to Essential Information