• Advertisement
Giant Ibis

Travelling With Oversize Luggage.

The room to discuss all aspects of travel in Cambodia be it simple questions in regards visas or exchanging ideas as to the best jungle paths for your next off-road trip.

Re: Travelling With Oversize Luggage.

Postby dancingroads » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:30 am

If it's anything like mine, over half the weight will be the stand, and the keyboard is separate. Repackaging into 2 boxes should be doable
dancingroads
Felicity Kendal Mint-Cake

Postby slavedog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am

dancingroads wrote:If it's anything like mine, over half the weight will be the stand, and the keyboard is separate. Repackaging into 2 boxes should be doable

Yes, it comes with quite a sturdy stand, which must account for a fair bit of the weight.
slavedog
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby slavedog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:25 am

Playboy wrote:Silly question probably, but have you looked into buying a seat for it, and strapping it in next to you ?

Yes, some airlines mention that on their websites, but I think it's more for bulky and light items, a cello for example. I think my piano exceeds the weight limits, but need to look into it a bit more closely.

Also, at this time of year and booking last minute (because I'm so disorganised), the seat price will probably be so high that it will negate the saving made from buying the item in the UK.
slavedog

Postby slavedog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am

logos wrote:Slavedog, are you sure about the weight. Come to think of it 40kg does sound quite a lot for a home electronic piano. You might look at a slightly smaller model if that's the case.

It's a good though, but I'm not prepared to compromise much, I want a full 88 key instrument.
slavedog

Postby Visser » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:21 am

Dimensions nor weight should be a problem, I've seen people check in with surfboards and once sent a courier to Africa with a keg of beer. But check with your airline, you might have to reserve storage space on the plane in advance and will probably have to pay an extra fee.
Also check in early, normally its a different counter to check in your oversized luggage and this can be busy.
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Visser
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Absentmindedprofessor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 am

when flying with singapore airlines I never had much trouble with large sizes, but always at or below 30kg not beyond, more than 32kg would get you in the special screw-you-over cargo pricelist, and yes there always is a waiver to sign for them not being responsible for damages to your package. (was unsure when flying with thai since they list max size for the us zone but not for the rest of the world). I never had them tape measure any large packages so you probably can add a bit to their max size. most airlines now are using the sum of all dimensions of one piece must be smaller or equal to 1.58m rule, so better check which airline you are flying and then repack accordingly.
Absentmindedprofessor
I've got internet at work

Postby Jep » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Visser wrote:Dimensions nor weight should be a problem, I've seen people check in with surfboards .

Visser is correct. The direct daily flight from NZ to Bali check-in at Auckand have a guard to tell them surfing grommets to first check-in their board at the oversized luggage counter before check-in. As long as the weight of the board, and baggage does not exceed their baggage allowance, all good.
Off topic. Tip. Always ask them to slap a 'Fragile sticker on ur check-in baggage,.its loaded last and first off.
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby Absentmindedprofessor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:56 pm

how did it work out? and what airline did you choose?
Absentmindedprofessor
I've got internet at work

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:49 pm

once sent a courier to Africa with a keg of beer

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share?
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real

Postby Barang_doa_slae » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I have checked in so many various oversized objects on flights in and out of Cambodia some say it is a hobby.
The list includes antic Cambodian and French furniture, bycicles, 55” TV, heavy bathtub glass screen, huge cardboxes, sound system with 25kg subwoofer, 3m curtain bars etc..

Just book interconnecting flights with same company or at least miles alliance, try to limit item weight to 25kg (single item weight is more of an Issue than size) be in early, smile a lot and have ready to give answers to the curious custom officers.
Very sober these days...
Barang_doa_slae
Runcible Chap

Postby Miguelito » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm

As someone mentioned, I think 32 kg is the limit for single item. I had a bag the other day that was 31.2 kg. They stuck the "heavy bag" tag on it and actually wrote the weight in marker on that tag.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Visser » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 pm

PSD_Kiwi wrote:
once sent a courier to Africa with a keg of beer

Sounds like an interesting story, care to share?

Years ago when working for a FMCG company I got a call from one of our brewery managers in Africa. The local HE decided to throw a party a few days after and wanted a keg of specialty beer which is normally only sold in Europe.
Seeing I couldn't book airfreight in time as there were no scheduled cargo planes flying from Europe to that country it was either renting an airplane or convince Air-France to let someone check in with a keg of beer. I was pretty much laughed at when I called Air-France (the plane was also fully booked they said) so had the local government guy the brewery manager put me in contact with make some calls on his side and the problem was solved in a matter of minutes.
Not sure what was said but I later heard from the courier that he was treated like royalty onboard, he also asked if this was a regular gig :lol:
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Visser
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Previous

Return to Travel