Living long term in Colombia...

Believe it or not, there is a whole other world outside of Cambodia and South East Asia, be it people or politics, frustrations or football, this is the place to talk about it.

Living long term in Colombia...

Postby horace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

... is definitely doable according to the very few expats that I have met.
If one buys property of a value over 150,000 us dollars, one can get an ID card and renew their status every year and after three years can apply for a passport n duel citizenship.
If one has has a regular monthly income from a pension or investment, one can apply and get a retirement visa. What that monthly amount seems to be is unknown.
As a tourist ( from the UK ) three months on arrival which can be extended but is a pain in arse, for a maximum stay of 180 days. Not sure if that is a calendar year or 12 months.
Reasons to live in Colombia, cheap beer, excellent puff and some nice eye candy every now and again, great supermarkets and beautiful although at times dry n arid landscapes, can drink tap water in cities.
Negatives: shit food especially if you have become addicted to spices. Very poor in places, a lot poorer than SE Asia, very little English spoken which for me is not a problem as I don't want to speak to anybody. Crap beaches compared to SE Asia although cleaner. And shit and I mean shit coffee, awful stuff. They grow and export all the good stuff , similar to cocaine. Very hard to buy it ( cocaine) and most Colombians are very much against it and the drug traffickers.
k440, something to do when you're pissed.
horace
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Re: Living long term in Colombia...

Postby Jep » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am

Horace .omg man I love you're posts, but when you they don't speak English, and you don't care, and don't what to talk to anybody. seems odd to me. I personally love communication with people who I don't understand, The beach is good. The sand
A drawing board of sorts, I draw a picture of a house, and a stick figure, then point to it and the non speaker.
Quickly the sand (drawing board is cleared . and I get a picture. and a life story.,from their drawing. its not rocket science. I also use this form of communication using a pen and paper when no on the beach. I love it , but more importantly. they get a buzz to be able to share their story to another barang that they learnt. And that barang will do the same same.
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby violet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

I value Horace's posts.

Shit coffee is ok. I remember when you couldn't get a decent hot coffee in Phnom Penh (decent to me equals a good flat white).
I can understand some Spanish and, like Horace, don't have a need to communicate with lots of people.
Non spicy shit food is the biggest drawback, that, and the drug cartel.
"Fear is not a reason to not do something" (Hugh Brown)
What saves you in the battle can kill you at home. (Soldiering On, Mary Gauthier)
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby Jep » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm

violet wrote:I can understand some Spanish and, like Horace, don't have a need to communicate with lots of people..

No. Horace said he doesn't like to communicate with anybody. Try to keep up Violet,
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby violet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Jep wrote:
violet wrote:I can understand some Spanish and, like Horace, don't have a need to communicate with lots of people..

No. Horace said he doesn't like to communicate with anybody. Try to keep up Violet,

I was avoiding having to use lots of words to be more clear, but anal ohkrs like yourself compelled me to have to (semi) explain. I am somewhat like Horace in terms of communication, but not the same.
What saves you in the battle can kill you at home. (Soldiering On, Mary Gauthier)
violet

Postby YaTingPom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Flat white is fattening.
You. Yes you, mind your own fucking business about what I do and don’t say online. Sad sook.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby violet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Flat white is not fattening, however, for a person trying to control calorific intake as a means of losing weight, it is best avoided or consumed on rare occasion with consideration given to all other items consumed.
violet

Postby Sublime » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Good basic description. Have you made it to Barranquilla? some nice beaches around there. I found the cocaine to be available in every shady alley I visited, however my experience was different in that I was traveling with my Colombian brother-in-law.
Sublime
I have some social problems

Postby horace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 pm

This shows my route starting in Bogota and heading N, blue dot is now. So yeah, I have been to Barranquila and have camped on many beaches. Now heading south to Medellin, Cali and Ecuador which I should reach in about 7 weeks.
horace

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:09 pm

horace wrote:... is definitely doable according to the very few expats that I have met.
If one buys property of a value over 150,000 us dollars, one can get an ID card and renew their status every year and after three years can apply for a passport n duel citizenship.
If one has has a regular monthly income from a pension or investment, one can apply and get a retirement visa. What that monthly amount seems to be is unknown.
As a tourist ( from the UK ) three months on arrival which can be extended but is a pain in arse, for a maximum stay of 180 days. Not sure if that is a calendar year or 12 months.
Reasons to live in Colombia, cheap beer, excellent puff and some nice eye candy every now and again, great supermarkets and beautiful although at times dry n arid landscapes, can drink tap water in cities.
Negatives: shit food especially if you have become addicted to spices. Very poor in places, a lot poorer than SE Asia, very little English spoken which for me is not a problem as I don't want to speak to anybody. Crap beaches compared to SE Asia although cleaner. And shit and I mean shit coffee, awful stuff. They grow and export all the good stuff , similar to cocaine. Very hard to buy it ( cocaine) and most Colombians are very much against it and the drug traffickers.

Did you bother to ask them why it was so doable and easy to get citizenship? Did you ask about the pitfalls, like they take your property when there is a fucked up government? Don't fall in love, Horace. And you know the coke is everywhere, so why lie?

Good luck.
I love bitches n gonna fuck Texas and the USA right up their god damn ass! Hallelujah!
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby Jep » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Coke ~~Enjoy~~
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby horace » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

batshitcrazyweirdo wrote:
Did you bother to ask them why it was so doable and easy to get citizenship? Did you ask about the pitfalls, like they take your property when there is a fucked up government? Don't fall in love, Horace. And you know the coke is everywhere, so why lie?

Good luck.

I said it was doable , I didn't say so doable nor did I say easy, neither did I say I have fallen in love with the place because I haven't. I wrote the brief outline as Miggles had said other may be interested in moving to this part of the world as Cambodia is becoming less attractive to some. I will report something similar on each country I visit. However, if some twat accusing me of lying I may not bother.
And the only thing that is everywhere are the police and army checkpoints. Coke is most definitely not very visible nor easy to buy, from my experience so far.
horace

Postby McPhisto » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Looking forward to your report on Equador.
McPhisto
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby YaTingPom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

violet wrote:Flat white is not fattening, however, for a person trying to control calorific intake as a means of losing weight, it is best avoided or consumed on rare occasion with consideration given to all other items consumed.

Simply walking three days a week (early, before 9am) will see drastic fat reduction. Large people lose weight very fast.

There’s many apps or devices that help. Once you start you’ll enjoy it.
You. Yes you, mind your own fucking business about what I do and don’t say online. Sad sook.
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist

Postby Tuktukpizza » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 pm

YaTingPom wrote:
violet wrote:Flat white is not fattening, however, for a person trying to control calorific intake as a means of losing weight, it is best avoided or consumed on rare occasion with consideration given to all other items consumed.

Simply walking three days a week (early, before 9am) will see drastic fat reduction. Large people lose weight very fast.

There’s many apps or devices that help. Once you start you’ll enjoy it.

They also gain weight very fast too.....
Tuktukpizza
I've got nothing better to do

Next

Return to 'Not' Cambodia