Cambodian dies in traffic accident

News articles related to Cambodia can be posted here, but remember to link back to the original source.

Cambodian dies in traffic accident

Postby flo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:22 pm

sad story:
warning, pictures of deceased! this koh santepheap article contains pictures of the deceased

Just back from Japan and died in a distressful manner
Phnom Penh: a man who came back from Japan got into a traffic accident and died in a distressful manner causing panic/commotion at 1am of the night going into 11 January 2017, along Norodom Boulevard in front of the Ang Duong Hospital, [which is] located in sangkat Old Market [Psa Chas], Khan Daun Penh.

The victim that died was called Siem Soph [??ស៊ីម សុភ័ក្ត្រ], a 35 year old male, staying in the vicinity of the Tuol Kork roundabout [in] sangkat Boeung Kak 2, khan Tuol Kork.

Witnesses who saw the accident reported that before it happened, they saw the victim on a white “NLAJESLY” [sic.] moto without license plates traveling along Norodom Boulevard from South to North until he got to [in front of] Ang Duong hospital. The victim was too drunk and driving his moto too fast. Suddenly, he collided at full force/speed with a black Lexus 570 car that was waiting at the traffic light, causing him to fall and gravely injure his head. He died at the scene. As for the moto; it was completely totaled. However, the Lexus 570 took off, leaving the victim at the place of the accident.
After the accident happened, an ambulance of a private clinic arrived at the scene to take the victim [to the private clinic], but when they examined him they saw that the victim only breathing very weakly [??សល់តែដង្ហើមចង្រិត] so they didn’t take him back to the clinic. A drunk man driving a white “Suzuki let” [??ស៊ុយស៊ីគីលេត] assured [people] that he was a friend of the victim and cursed/insulted the ambulance personnel for not taking his friend to hospital until his friend died. Also, he got angry with journalists and police officers for not helping to get an ambulance that would take his friend to get help.

Relatives of the victim have told us that the victim had just come back from Japan to work in Phnom Penh when he suddenly got into this accident.

The victim was taken to be kept at Wat Tuk Thla (clear water) in order to perform the traditional rites. The moto of the victim was taken by authorities to be kept at the police station in Daun Penh.
Last edited by flo on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flo
I live above an internet cafe

Re: Japanese expat dies in traffic accident

Postby Hanno » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm

moto without license plates travelling along Norodom Boulevard from South to North until he got to [in front of] Ang Duong hospital. The victim was too drunk and driving his moto too fast.

"Nuff said.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
Hello, Hello, Anybody Out There ?

Postby Joon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Actually the victim is Khmer but had just got back from Japan. He's not a Japanese expatriate.

RIP all the same.
Joon
Croque Madame Fetishist

Postby Mèo Đen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 pm

"After the accident happened, an ambulance of a private clinic arrived at the scene to take the victim [to the private clinic], but when they examined him they saw that the victim only breathing very weakly [??សល់តែដង្ហើមចង្រិត] so they didn’t take him back to the clinic. :facepalm:

condolences to the family. RIP
Last edited by Mèo Đen on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby Hanno » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Joon wrote:Actually the victim is Khmer but had just got back from Japan. He's not a Japanese expatriate.

RIP all the same.

I did wonder about the name (Siem Soph).
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
Hello, Hello, Anybody Out There ?

Postby flo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Mèo Đen wrote:"After the accident happened, an ambulance of a private clinic arrived at the scene to take the victim [to the private clinic], but when they examined him they saw that the victim only breathing very weakly [??សល់តែដង្ហើមចង្រិត] so they didn’t take him back to the clinic. :facepalm:

Might be my bad translation rather than ineptitude on the part of the paramedics.
apparently ដង្ហើមចង្រិត could mean gasp for breath; so the victim was only gasping for breath when they found him.

Joon wrote:Actually the victim is Khmer but had just got back from Japan. He's not a Japanese expatriate.

D' Oh. Did a hasty job as I knew there was a lunch sandwich waiting for me...
Like Hanno said; him being Khmer makes more sense with the name.
flo
I live above an internet cafe

Re: Cambodian dies in traffic accident

Postby Lucky Seven » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 pm

RIP ?....... I couldn't care less , leave the RIP for those that deserve to rest in peace .
Lucky Seven
I need professional help

Postby kansaicanuck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 pm

Say there was a guy standing in the middle of Norodom playing with a gun in an unsafe manner, firing off random shots through traffic and being a dangerous idiot... but luckily for him all of his errant shots missed all the innocent people around. But the last shot magically ricocheted off the ground (as they tend to do in Cambodia) and it hit himself in head killing him.

Do we still say RIP?

I understand people make mistakes but driving recklessly while being completely hammered is pretty much inexcusable and intolerable.

Thankfully he didn't kill anyone else.
kansaicanuck
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Joon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm

kansaicanuck wrote:Say there was a guy standing in the middle of Norodom playing with a gun in an unsafe manner, firing off random shots through traffic and being a dangerous idiot... but luckily for him all of his errant shots missed all the innocent people around. But the last shot magically ricocheted off the ground (as they tend to do in Cambodia) and it hit himself in head killing him.

Do we still say RIP?

I understand people make mistakes but driving recklessly while being completely hammered is pretty much inexcusable and intolerable.

Thankfully he didn't kill anyone else.

I don't know you, but when someone dies, I wish them to be in peace.
Joon
Croque Madame Fetishist

Postby kansaicanuck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Joon wrote:I don't know you, but when someone dies, I wish them to be in peace.

Very well, I suppose it could be crass to not hope for a departed person to have final peace - even if what led to their death was utter stupidity and not unexpected.
kansaicanuck
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby phat kunthea » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:35 pm

The American grandpa who made the news yesterday who had a heart attack during a happy ending massage, that I wish him rest in peace. This one is far from it.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN TO HIS MAJESTIES phat kunthea™
phat kunthea
I need professional help

Postby Joon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Are we seriously debating the merits of offering condolences to families and wishing peace for the dead?

You do it your way, I do it my way.
Joon
Croque Madame Fetishist

Next

Return to Cambodia in the News