Where to find Oven thermometer?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Where to find Oven thermometer?

Postby tblanchard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Where to find oven thermometer?

Like this:

Tried Home Top, Home Fix, and a few shops on MTT but no luck.

Thanks!
tblanchard
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Where to find Oven thermometer?

Postby Duncan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am

tblanchard wrote:Where to find oven thermometer?

Like this:

Thanks!

I have always kept these in my box of ''stuff '' cause I knew one day someone would say,,, hey, where can I buy one of these.

If you find me a old oven, gas or electric, cheap and in any condition,, then we have a deal going.
Duncan
I Have Not Been Outside Today

Postby chkwoot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 am

Try Aeon. The housewares section of the ground-floor supermarket. Lock n Lock upstairs might also have, but at a gazillion percent markup. Oh, and also try the $1.90 Japanese shop as a last resort, before enjoying a Whopper and a lifetime of tinnitus.

Edit: A quick look on Amazon shows 87 different oven thermometers, as cheap as $2.38, that can be shipped to Cambodia.
chkwoot
I need professional help

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:09 am

Guang Hong kitchen equipment on MTT had some last week.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Meus Mens est 440

Postby chkwoot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 am

PSD_Kiwi wrote:Guang Hong kitchen equipment on MTT had some last week.

Shit. Forgot about them. Best option!

Guang Hong
#180-182 Mao Tse Toung
Tel: 023214178, 099503933
http://www.cambodiakitchenequipment.com/home.php?page=front&lg=en

Other side of street and west of Home Top.
chkwoot
I need professional help

Postby vladimir » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Duncan, why would you use an electric oven over a gas one? I always thought gas was better for cooking, apart from the obvious price saving here in Cambodia. Curious.
I'm just a boy whose intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Funny thing I've found with most gas ovens here, is they don't have temperature dials (only high or low flame) and they don't have thermostats, so they're near impossible to keep at the desired temperature without constantly fiddling with the high/low flame dial to try and keep the oven at the temp you require.

There are a few stores starting to offer better quality imported gas ovens, but at imported prices too.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Meus Mens est 440

Postby Andvari56CMai » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:24 pm

I have had the best results for culinary gear at Hong Chan Catering, 331 - 355 Sihanouk Blvd - http://hongchan.com.kh/ - 023 996 188
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein
Andvari56CMai
I've got nothing better to do

Postby chkwoot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Andvari56CMai wrote:I have had the best results for culinary gear at Hong Chan Catering, 331 - 355 Sihanouk Blvd - http://hongchan.com.kh/ - 023 996 188

Nice lead! Thanks!
chkwoot
I need professional help

Postby Duncan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:11 pm

vladimir wrote:Duncan, why would you use an electric oven over a gas one? I always thought gas was better for cooking, apart from the obvious price saving here in Cambodia. Curious.

I have owned and used both gas and electric ovens, and also a Rayburn [ English ] and a Everhot [ Australian ] , both woodfired .

I love cooking in a Rayburn stove, my next choice would be the Everhot, but you need good dry wood for fuel and not anything with gum, like pine

A gas oven of the type that has the flame burner inside the oven, produces a '' wet '' heat,. For every litre of gas you burn you end up with a litre of water/moisture in the oven. So it's easy to clean the oven but is useless for making ''crisp '' finish like bread or pork skin crackle.

Electric is good but spins the meter and lots of badly wired places in Cambodia are not built to handle the high wattage that is needed if you have both elements in the oven going.

I don't want either,,, I want a old cheap oven, gas or electric, not going ,, that I will convert to a charcoal heated oven. This idea may not be 100 % effective as all the heat will be on the bottom, and I may need to have a fan in the oven. Many electric ovens already have circulating fan in the oven..
My experience with wood stoves shows that there can be 5 degrees or more difference in temperature between the bottom and the top of the oven.
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Duncan wrote:
tblanchard wrote:Where to find oven thermometer?

Like this:

Thanks!

I have always kept these in my box of ''stuff '' cause I knew one day someone would say,,, hey, where can I buy one of these.

If you find me a old oven, gas or electric, cheap and in any condition,, then we have a deal going.

------------------------------------------------------SOLD -------------------------------------------
Duncan

Postby vladimir » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:59 am

Halogen oven, Duncan?

Thanks for the info, btw, interesting.
I'm just a boy whose intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Next

Return to Questions and Answers