Copyright laws in Cambodia

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Postby violet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:45 am

Even though, copyright normally enjoys automatic protection in most South-East Asian countries from the moment of its creation, the European SMEs should keep in mind that this is not always the case in Cambodia. Foreign works do not enjoy automatic protection in Cambodia, even though Cambodia is a member of the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). As not all Cambodia’s national laws are yet in accordance to the TRIPS regulations, Cambodia currently does not grant similar protection to foreign works as it does for Cambodian works. Cambodia has to comply with the TRIPS agreement by 2021.

the above was taken from here. i chose it because it is an easy-read.

http://www.youripinsider.eu/copyright-p ... -cambodia/

How would it impact your life, if at all if Cambodia were to comply with the TRIPS agreement in January 2018? Is there anything you, as a person or as a business, would want to be sure to 'illegally' copy before the change?

I imagine any bar using Youtube to stream music would need a license if it doesn't already. Or is it acceptable to stream? I know some schools end up downloading content from youtube to use in class as they don't have computer technology in classrooms. This does not comply with youtube's terms of service. Perhaps this would become an issue?
Schools - copying books.
What other ways might impact?
Few words have made me weep more than learning of, and understanding, these:
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Re: Copyright laws in Cambodia

Postby TristranandIsolde » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 am

Many nascent SMEs relying on that stuff would suffer, some would die or change.

I'd give Cambodia a good economy for 3 years, THEN bring all into the mainstream.

A country still on aid can't be expected to pay royalties and copyright so suddenly ...
Fool's folly is following another fool.
- The Grand Jester

Caution: all of my posts are to be taken with a grain of salt, heroin, and Everclear. Then you can reply back to us.
TristranandIsolde
RicePikey

Postby ReasonstobefearfulP3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 am

violet wrote:I imagine any bar using Youtube to stream music would need a license if it doesn't already.

Technically yes, but I cannot imagine record companies & artists trying to sue some tiny little establishment in a country like Cambodia

with regards to educational purposes the following criteria have to be met:

for instructional purposes;
in face-to-face teaching (in the classroom, not over the Internet);
at a nonprofit educational institution

I am sure quite a few schools would fall into this criteria
ReasonstobefearfulP3
I've got nothing better to do

Postby chkwoot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am

ricecakes wrote:
violet wrote:Must we have two threads on the same topic?

Oh...the irony.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tampon

Quite.
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
chkwoot
Bark plop plop bark woof woof

Postby violet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

chkwoot wrote:
ricecakes wrote:
violet wrote:Must we have two threads on the same topic?

Oh...the irony.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tampon

Quite.

Have i missed a thread on this? Sorry if so. I haven't started two on it. I could create a sock puppet just so you don't get tired of seeing my name....but I find that deceptive. Either foe me or shut up if you and ricecles hate seeing my name everywhere
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet

Postby Visser » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:15 pm

violet wrote:I imagine any bar using Youtube to stream music would need a license if it doesn't already. Or is it acceptable to stream? I know some schools end up downloading content from youtube to use in class as they don't have computer technology in classrooms. This does not comply with youtube's terms of service. Perhaps this would become an issue?
Schools - copying books.

Why would bars need a license to stream youtube?
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Visser
My Only Friend is my Computer

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Visser wrote:
violet wrote:I imagine any bar using Youtube to stream music would need a license if it doesn't already. Or is it acceptable to stream? I know some schools end up downloading content from youtube to use in class as they don't have computer technology in classrooms. This does not comply with youtube's terms of service. Perhaps this would become an issue?
Schools - copying books.

I looked into this a long time ago.
From memory, small establishments would be exempt but certain criteria is met then a license is required. Criteria is something like:
- if TVs are more than a certain size or
- if bar has 5+ TVs or
- there are more than x number of speakers or
- the size of the bar is more than something like 5,000 square feet
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby Edwardo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Visser wrote:Why would bars need a license to stream youtube?

Why? To be within the law. Because almost all modern music is copyrighted, and playing copyrighted music requires a license no matter what media is used to play it. This often isn't enforced in places like Cambodia or China, but it is still the law. Such copyright protections are agreed to in any trade deal.

Get caught playing copyrighted music in the west in your business and you will pay ginormous fines and legal fees if you get caught and sued. Such fines can easily add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. There are some exceptions for small businesses under certain square footage with "less than six speakers" and silly things like that, but almost all commercial establishments wouldn't qualify and would require a license to play music.

Edit: ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ beat me to it.
'Cuz some is rich, and some is poor, and that's the way the world is.
Edwardo
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:11 pm

violet wrote: I know some schools end up downloading content from youtube to use in class as they don't have computer technology in classrooms.

How do they achieve this without computer technology?
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby pedros » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm

ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:
Visser wrote:
Schools - copying books.

I looked into this a long time ago.
From memory, small establishments would be exempt but certain criteria is met then a license is required. Criteria is something like:
- if TVs are more than a certain size or
- if bar has 5+ TVs or
- there are more than x number of speakers or
- the size of the bar is more than something like 5,000 square feet

It's one reason everybody's favourite booze chain in the UK, the mighty 'Spoons have a no music policy, saves them $$$$$ and keeps the price of a 9.00 am pint with full English low.
pedros
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby tombraider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:14 pm

What about all the businesses that have the apple logo, or schools with ridiculous names Angry Birds School, hey even Angry Birds Bar. They would potentially all have to do some re-branding.

I think the Flicks cinema business model is based on them to be able to rip movies off torrent sites and show them without having to worry about any infringements precisely due to this law if it came into effect businesses like that would no doubt be impacted.
tombraider
I live above an internet cafe

Postby violet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:
violet wrote: I know some schools end up downloading content from youtube to use in class as they don't have computer technology in classrooms.

How do they achieve this without computer technology?

Hmmm. Really? Tired today?

Computer in staffing areas to download to usb that is then connected to tv screen in classroom. I guess if you compartmentalise usb to ‘computer technology’ rather than just techology I understand why you asked.
violet

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy