Safe / Not safe areas of Pnom Penh

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Postby George89 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to ask a basic q about areas in Pnom Penh..

My girlfriend and I are looking at flats around Pnom Penh, Russian Market , BKK2/3 and also Boung Trabek.

We have some Cambodian friends who seem to be in the know and say that Russian market / Boung Trabek are dangerous areas...

We have found some nice flats in BT area, so were disappointed to hear that..anyway, just wanted to get some advice from you all..is there any truth to that from your exp ?

Thanks a lot

George
George89
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Safe / Not safe areas of Pnom Penh

Postby Just Robbed » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:02 pm

It's all dangerous if you walk around.
Most hold ups on barangs occur in affluent bkk1.
Just Robbed
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Cambodians tell foreigners everywhere is dangerous in Cambodia.

Use a bit of common-sense and you'll be fine. Russian Market & BT are quiet & safe.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
EGO Sum Unus Per Penitus

Postby Lucky Lucan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:24 am

Boeung Trabek has some very dodgy areas to the south of st 105. Check it out on Google street-view or drive down there if you don't believe me. Outside of a few slum areas like that it's no big deal, but I'd stay in BKK 1 if I were you, you don't seem to have too many street smarts.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby ricecakes » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am

Once TTP starting going to the dogs and hipsters we moved over the road and lived in BTP for 5 years and loved it. I wouldn't walk around there late at night necessarily if i was a clueless donk but....it is a great local suburb and getting pricier by the year.
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby gavinmac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:22 am

ricecakes wrote:Once TTP starting going to the dogs and hipsters we moved over the road and lived in BTP for 5 years and loved it. I wouldn't walk around there late at night necessarily if i was a clueless donk but....it is a great local suburb and getting pricier by the year.

One might say it's an amazing place to live.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby sounds_never_seen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 am

BTP for the win! Indeed a nice (amazing) place to live, like a little village of its own. Except when Styx unleashes its fury like two or so weeks ago, that is.

Quite a few posters living there iirc, I sometimes wonder if one of the 3.5 whities walking/driving around my block is a 440er.
sounds_never_seen
I live above an internet cafe

Postby ricecakes » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 pm

gavinmac wrote:
ricecakes wrote:Once TTP starting going to the dogs and hipsters we moved over the road and lived in BTP for 5 years and loved it. I wouldn't walk around there late at night necessarily if i was a clueless donk but....it is a great local suburb and getting pricier by the year.

Well...logos and I used to sit out purveying our neighboring territory saying how amazing it was that clueless cunts like you hadn't found it..so..yes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 pm

gavinmac wrote:

But god forbid someone claim it's cheaper.
son of vladimir

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 pm

ricecakes wrote:Well...logos and I used to sit out purveying our neighboring territory saying how amazing it was that clueless cunts like you hadn't found it..so..yes.

Did you sit side by side, or opposite each other?

It's relevant, ducky.
son of vladimir

Postby GMJS-440 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Khmer440 is not safe, that’s a certainty.
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Credit Jacked Camry & LTO
GMJS-440
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:59 pm

True...I get a Khmer friend to check dark alleys for murderers, thieves, dodgy accountants, etc. and he does a fair job, but one or two always slip through, lurking in the shadows, religious nutjobs who stopped taking their medication years ago...
son of vladimir

Postby florian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 pm

I don't think it's possible to tell if any of those areas are safer or less safe than others.
Transportation to wherever you will be going on a daily basis is a far more significant issue.
florian

Postby Mèo Đen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 pm

son of vladimir wrote:True...I get a Khmer friend to check dark alleys for murderers, thieves, dodgy accountants, etc. and he does a fair job, but one or two always slip through, lurking in the shadows, religious nutjobs who stopped taking their medication years ago...

I think I have met some of your "team" around Phnom Penh before :grin:

Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Return to Questions and Answers