• Advertisement
Karcher

what is the right part of Phnom Penh for a first-time tourist to stay in?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

what is the right part of Phnom Penh for a first-time tourist to stay in?

Postby djoliver1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi: maybe someone can advise me what is the right part of Phnom Penh for a first-time tourist to stay in? I'm male, 65, traveling alone and on the cheap, looking for a nice relaxing area with cafes and restaurants. I'm just an old hippie that kind of likes the alternative scene, and don't want to spend too much. Maybe $20 / night single room in a guest house or hostel. not too far from the bar scene, but not right in the middle of it. don't like squalor at all, but don't need anything up-scale and expensive. just clean, simple, aesthetically appeal if possible. any suggestions? I'm leaving next Tuesday Nov 28 and need to book something so that I have a place to stay when I arrive. I've heard that the area around 172nd and 19th is the bar scene. I've hear that BKK around 278 could be nice. There seem to be some reasonable hotels and guest houses around 110 not far from the river, but I don't know if that's where I want to be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I don't know if this forum will notify me by email if I get a response, so hope it's not against the rules to include my email: [email protected]
djoliver1
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: what is the right part of Phnom Penh for a first-time tourist to stay in?

Postby logos » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:11 pm

172 is good to start with. You could check with Sundance, as it's western run you'll get a reply. Other cheapo places generally won't bother.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby Phuket2006 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 pm

hometown suites on 172 ( 20 meters from Sundance) $20-22/night ask for a room on the 5th floor looking over the parking lot, plenty of good places to eat and drink near by and a few minutes walk to riverside and the Palace
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer." HST
Phuket2006
The Internet is my Friend

Postby scoffer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:00 pm

I've done short term stays at Hometown, perhaps 6-8 times over the past 5 years.

Quite suitable for a place to park your arse in until you decide where you want to be,
The rooms I've stayed in are large everything you need is walking distance away.

This applies to all businesses offering you a bed for the night,
Inspect the room - do fans, aircon, hot water work, ?
Unless they are at 85%+ capacity, their asking price for the room is a starting point to negotiate down from.

Check on agoda and other booking site for room prices,.
It gives you an indication on what they want you to pay, then take away the commission agoda charge and you have a realistic starting price for the room.
You won't get much of a discount if only staying 2-3 days, but you should be able to negotiate a favorable discount if staying longer.
I refuse to go out with nothing more than a whimper followed by a small farting sound and a shit stain on my bed sheets..
Just thought I'd share that with you.
scoffer
Tech Ninja / Kangaroo Baiter

Postby crazyjohn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 pm

You are advising people to stay on 172? Bloody hell, what a fate.
crazyjohn
I've got nothing better to do

Postby violet » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:38 pm

crazyjohn wrote:You are advising people to stay on 172? Bloody hell, what a fate.

He fits the demographic
Few words have made me weep more than learning of, and understanding, these:
When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today.
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman

Postby son of vladimir » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Blue Dolphin on 172 starts at $15/night, iirc, restaurant is excellent value for money
son of vladimir
I live above an internet cafe

Postby kansaicanuck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah it kinda sounds like 172 would for this guy. Sonny Side Up is there and has some fantastic food for the prices. Nice people too.
kansaicanuck
I need professional help

Postby MONEYBACKGUARANTEE » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 am

Try the Yung Hout Guest House. I enjoyed my stay there back in 2014. Cheap, good location for a first time visitor, and a decent restaurant downstairs. At least that's how it was when I was there.
MONEYBACKGUARANTEE
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby QED » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:44 am

Lone Star in st 23 has good rooms. I stayed there a lot a few years back when Greg was the owner, You are near 172 without being in it, a good combination.
QED
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Buscador » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:04 pm

As far as the general area goes, I think the riverside is the only real choice, at least to start. That is definitely the heart of the tourist area. Don't go for BKK to begin with. St. 278 has some cheap guest houses but for the most part BKK is more upscale and more oriented towards longterm accommodations. Whether you stay right on St. 172 or just somewhere in that general area between St. 108 and St. 178 and east of Norodom Blvd. is not all that important. There are so many suitable places in that neighborhood that you can easily change rooms every day until you find a place you like, if necessary.
Buscador
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Just Robbed » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 am

Svay Pak has some lovely home stay style accommodation. Meet your budgetary requirements and you will be able to meet interesting people.
Just Robbed
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Return to Questions and Answers