• Advertisement
Karcher

Compulsory health insurance for foreigners.

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Compulsory health insurance for foreigners.

Postby Heng S » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:26 am

Does anyone know anything about the compulsory health insurance for foreigners. We are being told to come in to work on Saturday and register for mandatory health insurance in national hospitals for $10 per month. If we don't come in we have to go to the ministry and apply there. Personally, if i had to pay insurance, I wouldn't choose the national hospital system. Any thoughts?
Heng S
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Compulsory health insurance for foreigners.

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am

It sounds like the NSSF (National Social Security Fund), I don't know how much it costs as my employer pays it.
We all gotta duck..............when the shit hits the fan.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby ReasonstobefearfulP3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am

NSSF is maximum ៛8,000 ($2) per month, pro-rated down by ៛200 for each ៛50,000 under ៛1m
ReasonstobefearfulP3
I've got nothing better to do

Postby epidemiks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:54 am

2. Duty to pay contributions and contribution rates

Employers and employees under the provisions of the Law on Social Security Schemes for those under the provisions of the Labor Law are obligated to pay health care contributions to the CEC until 31 December 2017.

The obligation to pay for health care contributions as stated in the above paragraph shall be entirely the responsibility of the employer as of January 1, 2018 onwards. 

http://www.nssf.gov.kh/default/%e1%9e%9 ... %e1%9e%96/
epidemiks
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Jackal » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 am

Yeah, it's compulsory for all.

My workplace had a mass registration of staff yesterday, khmer or expat the same.
"Any fool can criticize,condem and complain and most fools do".

http://aholeinthewallspeaks.blogspot.com/
Jackal
A Moment of Clarity

Location: RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE. IT'S VOLTAGE DIVIDED BY CURRENT.

Postby the chicken » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 am

At a school my kid studies at we had to pay $25 a year for insurance. For minor accident or sickness maximum payout is $500, in the event of death max payout is $5000. Is the coverage similar for employees at workplace?
the chicken
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Playboy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:42 am

the chicken wrote: ... Is the coverage similar for employees at workplace?

No it is not.

#Post3/3ParityAchived
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
440 Member in Exile

Postby maven » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:32 pm

[quote="ReasonstobefearfulP3"]NSSF is maximum ៛8,000 ($2) per month, pro-rated down by ៛200 for each ៛50,000 under ៛1m[/quote]

So if the OP is paying $10, where is the other $8 going?

Christmas fund?
maven
5 minutes to kill

Postby Heng S » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 pm

So if the OP is paying $10, where is the other $8 going?
Christmas fund?

I suspect my employer has had the hard word from the ministry and is trying to get people to sign up so that they don't have to pay the $2 fee per employee after the start of next year. i assume the other $8 will be going to the manager's pocket.
Heng S
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby gavinmac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Jackal wrote:Yeah, it's compulsory for all.

My workplace had a mass registration of staff yesterday, khmer or expat the same.

A mass resignation over this issue? Was their pay going to but cut $2 or $10 per month? And if it's a national law for ell employers/employees how does quitting help these workers?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby epidemiks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm

gavinmac wrote:

A mass resignation over this issue? Was their pay going to but cut $2 or $10 per month? And if it's a national law for ell employers/employees how does quitting help these workers?
Gav's eyes must be going. A win for everyone on whiteboards everywhere.
epidemiks
A Moment of Clarity

Postby gavinmac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm

epidemiks wrote:
gavinmac wrote:

Gav's eyes must be going. A win for everyone on whiteboards everywhere.

Haha! I can't read.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby Spigzy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Nastier problem for an employer who already pays for private health insurance for staff as a benefit - this state contribution is mandatory, so the employer ends up double paying health insurance, or kills their own private policies & the staff mutiny over the crappy cover they get on the state system. Ouch.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby ReasonstobefearfulP3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Spigzy wrote:Nastier problem for an employer who already pays for private health insurance for staff as a benefit - this state contribution is mandatory, so the employer ends up double paying health insurance, or kills their own private policies & the staff mutiny over the crappy cover they get on the state system. Ouch.

To be fair it is only $2 per month per employee maximum. I am not 100% sure on an average wage of a factory worker but if they earn 840k riel ($210) then it will cost them 6,600 riel. (0.8% of assumed wage). Its not going to break the bank.

Also, as the government raised the tax thresholds last year it will work out a net win for all lower tax payers.

For all top tier tax payers it is capped at $2 and they are getting an extra 2.5m ($625) before the top rate kicks in.

I for one think it is a very good thing that the government are enforcing this to look after the poorest in society. Whether that will actually happen is an entirely different topic.
ReasonstobefearfulP3
I've got nothing better to do

Postby Spigzy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm not denying for employers that don't already have schemes in place that this is a good thing - absolutely has my support, look after the little guy!

What I'm saying is, imagine that factory is already run by an employee conscious employer, and already pays $10 per month for each employee. Assume that factory has 2,000 staff. So each month the employer health insurance premium is $20k - they, and their staff are happy with an above NSSF quality insurance cover. Now that employer has no choice but to up that bill to $24k per month; so across a year that's an increase of $48k on what they were paying previously.. might not break the bank, but it isn't peanuts either.

The employer either sucks that up and the employee gets dual cover & puts up the price of a pair of H&M boots to cover it, or they'll drop the private health cover & run the risk of upsetting their employees who no longer have as good cover as they had before & just pay the NSSF.

Surely an employer should be able to demonstrate cover at a higher level for all their staff & not have to pay NSSF? Or maybe they could have a hybrid of private cover as a retention incentive for more senior staff, and keep new joiners or junior staff on the basic NSSF? There's no flexibility in this scheme; should be mandatory for crap employers that don't provide private schemes, but decent employers with existing top notch schemes for staff - why penalise them?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy