oooh naughty naughty

News articles related to Cambodia can be posted here, but remember to link back to the original source.

oooh naughty naughty

Postby sociopath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 pm

The statement was issued after the European Parliament decided on December 12, 2017, requesting the European Commission to withdraw all tariffs on trade with Cambodia, including export of products from garment and footwear factories, and the request to temporarily freeze Cambodian officials’ banks.
=FRESH NEWS

http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/6 ... arket.html
no replying to those who misinterpret/misread what i write. this aint kindergarten
sociopath
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Re: oooh naughty naughty

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby electron » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:38 pm

The thread title makes no sense, nor does the article.

withdraw all tarrifs

I take this to mean "impose world-trade tariffs", ie remove zero-tariff status or whatever Cambodia enjoyed before?
electron

Postby sociopath » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 pm

electron wrote:The thread title makes no sense, nor does the article.

withdraw all tarrifs

I take this to mean "impose world-trade tariffs", ie remove zero-tariff status or whatever Cambodia enjoyed before?

you must be a ingrish teacha right?
no replying to those who misinterpret/misread what i write. this aint kindergarten
sociopath

Postby Fred Edwards » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 pm

fantastic news! I suggest the UK sends a delegation to Cambodia as soon as we get rid of the European scumbags holding us back to negotiate a free trade deal between both kingdoms...
Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.
For they do not know what they hear, see, say, or do, and yet they do not concede that they are blind and deaf.
Fred Edwards
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby logos » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 pm

I guess they skipped the word "preferential" but it's pretty obvious from the context.

That's great news for the ordinary Cambodians as it'll put some pressure on the kleptocrats. Let's see what the commission does but they normally follow the EP's recommendations. If the US then follows, and/or Japan, that could bite pretty hard.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby kansaicanuck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 am

https://www.voanews.com/a/eu-calls-for-cambodia-sanctions/4165050.html

PHNOM PENH —
The European parliament has voted to consider suspending Cambodia's preferential "Everything But Arms" trade access to the European Union in response to the country's authoritarian backslide.

Such a move could have dramatic consequences for the country, which sells about half of its exports to the EU, mostly in the form of garments and footwear - industries that employ more than half a million Cambodians.

In a motion passed Thursday condemning the dissolution of the country’s opposition party, EU parliamentarians called on trade commissioner Cecilia Malmström to “immediately review” Cambodia’s duty free and quota free access to the single market through the Everything But Arms scheme.

“...if Cambodia is acting in violation of its obligation under the EBA regulation, the tariff preferences it currently enjoys must be temporarily withdrawn,” the motion stated.

It also called on the union’s external action service to prepare a list of individuals responsible for the dissolution and other human rights violations for potential visa restrictions and asset freezes.

EU lawmaker Charles Tannock told the parliament that the dissolution of the Cambodia National Rescue Party and jailing of its leader, Kem Sokha, was a “damaging blow” to democracy and “the text book move of a typical tyrant”.

“The people of Cambodia, after the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime last century deserve democracy; they deserve better,” he said.

The U.S. and EU have both already pulled funding for Cambodia’s elections next year, while Washington has also placed dozens of government officials on a restricted visa list in response to the Cambodian government’s ongoing crackdown on the opposition, civil society and the media.

Sweden has suspended any new government-to-government aid to Cambodia except for education or research.

Wednesday during an unannounced visit to Phnom Penh the U.S. deputy assistant secretary of state in charge of Southeast Asia, Patrick Murphy, told reporters Washington was considering taking further measures against Cambodia.
Coordinated action proposal

At a congressional hearing to discuss sanctions Tuesday U.S. lawmaker Brad Sherman (D-Cal), said Washington, the U.S. and Japan needed to take coordinated action against HE’s regime.

“If we decide to forego the special access to U.S. market that any company buying garments from Cambodia can immediately void this contract, and so we can put that in the matter of law,” he said.

Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia secretary-general Ken Loo could not be reached.

But in recent statement, GMAC instructed foreign governments, the U.N. and buyers that the current political situation in Cambodia “shall not be translated into into any actions bearing negative impacts on the daily production and supply chain of the industry”.

“We would like to maintain smooth operation of our 600 member factories that economically support more than 700,000 workers and about 2 million more people as their family members,” the statement said.

Prime Minister HE’s government has brushed off threats of sanctions from western governments as irrelevant thanks to the growing economic might and generosity of China.

In a speech on Friday he reiterated those sentiments, daring the EU and U.S. to freeze the assets of his party’s officials while declaring he himself held no money outside of Cambodia.

[You] don't need to threaten. Let's do it. If you are good at that, please, you do it. Let's [see] you do it,” he said.

Referring to an article in The Phnom Penh Post, the premier suggested a lack of concrete actions resulting from five previous EU resolutions showed such motions had little impact.

“On the other hand, the EU needs to have consensus,” he said, referring the requirement for unanimous agreement from all 28 member countries for the EU to pass decisions related to foreign affairs.

EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmström did not reply to VOA inquiries. EU ambassador to Cambodia George Edgar said in an emailed response that the European External Action Service and the European Commission would seriously consider the recommendations made in the resolution but declined to comment further.

The premier also seemed to suggest that foreign businesses would ignore the laws of their own governments if trade sanctions were imposed on Cambodia.

“Not everyone just follows what you want to do - your sanction measures; your requests,” he said.

“The purchase order contracts from Cambodia have been already been signed. The question is whether they will follow you? It's like you will repay until you die here; repay until you die here.”

Majority of exports to US, EU

The U.S. and EU absorb the vast majority of Cambodia’s exports - billions of dollars worth - while China enjoys an overwhelming trade surplus with the tiny kingdom.

Chinese investment in Cambodia was close to $1 billion last year - vastly eclipsing all other nations - while Beijing also provides hundreds of millions of dollars in aid and multi-billion dollar infrastructure loans. More than 60 percent of Cambodia’s garment factories are Chinese owned.

An op-ed in the Chinese state controlled outlet Global Times this week lashed western nations for “pretending to talk democracy” when their real motivation was to protect the billions of dollars they had invested in implementing that political system in Cambodia.

While dismissing purported western accusations that China’s own investments in Cambodia amounted to neocolonialism, the article declared “the last thing Cambodia wants is chaotic revolution.”

HE’s protracted crackdown on his opponents has been buttressed by the accusation they have all conspired with the U.S. government to overthrow him in a color revolution.

The premier has provided no credible evidence to support this conspiracy theory and observers say his regime has crushed opposition ahead of next year’s election because it was spooked by strong CNRP results in two prior ballots.

Hul Reaksmey contributed to this report
kansaicanuck
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby sociopath » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 am

perhaps cambodia can respond by kicking out the french ambassador, seems fairly obvious he/she is behind this move. kick out the US ambassador too just for good measure.Image
sociopath

Postby Edwardo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 am

Since when were fair elections, democracy or good governance ever preconditions for any political support or trade deals with the EU or the US? At least the Chinese aren't hypocritical about their dealings.
"The final straw actually involved my mortal enemy vladimir, who you may or may not know is an insufferable, overposting asshat."
Edwardo
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby Lucky Lucan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 am

Edwardo wrote:Since when were fair elections, democracy or good governance ever preconditions for any political support or trade deals with the EU or the US? At least the Chinese aren't hypocritical about their dealings.

Agreed, I don't remember the EU making any issue about fair elections, democracy or good governance in Vietnam,Thailand, Laos etc. :-D
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby Edwardo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:09 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:
Edwardo wrote:Since when were fair elections, democracy or good governance ever preconditions for any political support or trade deals with the EU or the US? At least the Chinese aren't hypocritical about their dealings.

Agreed, I don't remember the EU making any issue about fair elections, democracy or good governance in Vietnam,Thailand, Laos etc. :-D

China...Russia...Saudi Arabia...
"The final straw actually involved my mortal enemy vladimir, who you may or may not know is an insufferable, overposting asshat."
Edwardo
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby kansaicanuck » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:

The upcoming EU deal with Vietnam does include a similar chapter on human rights. I'm sure most newer deals do. https://www.voanews.com/a/eu-presses-vietnam-on-human-rights/3744840.html I'm not sure that they are demanding democracy but when a country calls itself a democratic Nation yet strips almost half of its citizens of its vote and throws their leaders in jail on trumped-up charges that would seem to be a violation no? Just because Vietnam doesn't call itself a democratic Nation doesn't mean a trade deal can't be done with them. Likewise how else would the entire planet deal with China? Cambodia wants to call itself a democracy and sign deals based on that and their human rights record but doesn't really want to be a democracy Now does it. Cambodia signed the same deal that the EU did. I don't see it like anyone's just picking on Cambodia, they didn't have to sign the deal if they couldn't play ball. Who needs who more?
kansaicanuck
I Am Losing It All to the Internet

Postby Fred Edwards » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 am

Lucky Lucan wrote:

you do come out with some crackers sometimes this one particularly made me laugh the European Union and democracy it is a bunch of unelected officials making policy for politicians to sign up to...iit's be the way you tell them...do you know damage the European Union is doing flooding markets with their over production?
Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.
For they do not know what they hear, see, say, or do, and yet they do not concede that they are blind and deaf.
Fred Edwards
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Edwardo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:55 am

kansaicanuck wrote:
Lucky Lucan wrote:

The upcoming EU deal with Vietnam does include a similar chapter on human rights. I'm sure most newer deals do. https://www.voanews.com/a/eu-presses-vietnam-on-human-rights/3744840.html I'm not sure that they are demanding democracy but when a country calls itself a democratic Nation yet strips almost half of its citizens of its vote and throws their leaders in jail on trumped-up charges that would seem to be a violation no? Just because Vietnam doesn't call itself a democratic Nation doesn't mean a trade deal can't be done with them. Likewise how else would the entire planet deal with China? Cambodia wants to call itself a democracy and sign deals based on that and their human rights record but doesn't really want to be a democracy Now does it. Cambodia signed the same deal that the EU did. I don't see it like anyone's just picking on Cambodia, they didn't have to sign the deal if they couldn't play ball. Who needs who more?

Hence the hypocrisy. Look the other way 98% of the time when it comes to one-party rule or downright brutal and oppressive dictatorships as long as there is anticipated economic or political benefit to gain from such regimes, but then turn around and hold poor little Cambodia up to some higher standard of behavior so one can publicly wave the banner of supporting democracy abroad.
Edwardo
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby son of vladimir » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:51 am

Given what the US did to this country, (and the region) their attitude is absolutely laughable.

Add to that the long list of dictators they were hand-in-glove with, and the militias they trained, legally-elected leaders they ousted or assassinated, apartheid-style regimes they collaborate/ed with...Jesus, N. Korea is in a better position to criticise.
son of vladimir
I've got internet at work

Next

Return to Cambodia in the News