Belgian Busted With Blow from Brazil - Given Life Sentence

News articles related to Cambodia can be posted here, but remember to link back to the original source.

Belgian Busted With Blow from Brazil - Given Life Sentence

Postby Bong Burgundy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 am

A Belgian man was arrested at Phnom Penh International Airport at about 8pm on Wednesday while attempting to allegedly traffic more than a kilo of cocaine into the country from Brazil.

Loek Vannak, director of the Interior Ministry’s anti-drug department, said his forces cooperated with immigration police and airport officials to arrest David Noel Catry, 34, at the airport after more than one kilo of cocaine was found in his suitcase.

“We arrested him while he was picking up his suitcase in the airport,” said Mr Vannak.

Mr Vannak added the suspect had travelled from Brazil to Ethiopia, and then onto Thailand before taking a flight to Cambodia.

“We are continuing to crackdown on drug crimes,” Mr Vannak said.

In December, General Meas Vyrith, secretary-general of the National Authority for Combating Drugs, said authorities have seen the number of arrests for drug-related offences skyrocket since the government’s crackdown on drug crimes started in January 2017.

“Since the campaign began, our police forces have tackled 8,094 cases related to drugs and arrested 17,747 people, including 7,851 drug users,” Gen Vyrith said.

They also confiscated around 173 kilograms of drugs including heroin, cocaine and crystal methamphetamine, in addition to 113 kilograms of marijuana. Authorities destroyed 275,815 marijuana plants.

“A total of 9,896 suspects have been detained for their involvement in drug trafficking throughout the country,” Gen Vyrith said.

Interior Minister Sar Kheng has promised $10,000 in rewards for police officers who seize one kilogram or more of illegal substances. He added the rewards are intended to encourage police and other officials to take action against drugs.

Khmer Times
Bringing the news a few hours or days before the other channel, or a few minutes after. You stay classy, nah, Cambodia.
Bong Burgundy
I have some social problems

Re: Belgian Busted With Blow from Brazil

Postby Fred Edwards » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 am

I'm guessing that passport is a forgery...
Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.
For they do not know what they hear, see, say, or do, and yet they do not concede that they are blind and deaf.
Fred Edwards
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 am

Fred Edwards wrote:I'm guessing that passport is a forgery...

was thinking that too. looks middle eastern
was also thinking that theses drugs must severely affect your sense of reason. as far as i can see attempting that journey without getting seen is just stupidity. just cant see how he got as far as he did else it was planted somewhere and the baggage receivers missed the pick up.
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt
I live above an internet cafe

Postby pedros » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 am

Youn Hoo Fatt wrote:

was thinking that too. looks middle eastern
was also thinking that theses drugs must severely affect your sense of reason. as far as i can see attempting that journey without getting seen is just stupidity. just cant see how he got as far as he did else it was planted somewhere and the baggage receivers missed the pick up.

Yeah, obviously a fake, as they are hardly any middle eastern people in Belgium at all. Ask Logos.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby gavinmac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am

Haha, right. Brussels is 25%+ Muslim now.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby pedros » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

Anyway, the point is moot as his Facebook shows he's either a resident or regular visitor to pp, even has mutual friends with miguelito.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby Miguelito » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm

pedros wrote:Anyway, the point is moot as his Facebook shows he's either a resident or regular visitor to pp, even has mutual friends with miguelito.

Are those my friends in Colombia or here in PP?
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Fred Edwards » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

gavinmac wrote:Haha, right. Brussels is 25%+ Muslim now.

Ha ha it is not often I agree with you but that is totally correct the fifth column is well and truly established and consequently it is very easy to get a genuine Belgium passport in a fake name to carry on international drug dealing to fund...
Hear and hear, but do not understand; see and see, but do not perceive.
For they do not know what they hear, see, say, or do, and yet they do not concede that they are blind and deaf.
Fred Edwards
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby Miguelito » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

It's not a fake passport. The guy is from Belgium. Just look at this FB page, all the guy and his friends speak is that strange language known as Flemish.

And it appears he's been here for a few years, friends with the type of people that hang out at Pontoon.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby Youn Hoo Fatt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Miguelito wrote:
pedros wrote:Anyway, the point is moot as his Facebook shows he's either a resident or regular visitor to pp, even has mutual friends with miguelito.

Are those my friends in Colombia or here in PP?

hmm just for the record let it be known that i am not mutual friends with any of these people
yes i had a makeover
Youn Hoo Fatt

Postby Master Donut Baker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 am

he looks somewhat like jason staham
the chosen land.
Master Donut Baker
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby logos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 am

Haha it's actually the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw that guy's mug, no way his name is David Noel, esp weird with apparently Dutch as his first language whereas that name is as French sounding as it gets.

BTW I don't think Brussels is more than 10% muslim. Whenever I travel to London or even Paris I think Fred edwards' 5th columns are there. Or in cities like Bradford or Marseilles.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby mrdome » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 am

You gotta wonder who ratted him out. I doubt they get into the international reservation systems of the airlines for every arriving pax or comb through your passport to figure out where you've come from. Also, I they don't have drug sniffing beagles at Pochentong... or monkeys for that matter but maybe I'm wrong there.
mrdome

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 am

Would it be possible that luggage gets sniffed by the dogs at transit airports and flagged for destination cops to take action?
I always wonder how so many people get picked up for drugs by the keystone cops here.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Postby tuk-tukfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 pm

I've seen a dog at the entrance to the departure lounge at Pochentong a couple of times. On each occasion both the dog and it's handler were on the nod and it really didn't feel like an effective detection method.
tuk-tukfish
Impin' Aint Easy

Next

Return to Cambodia in the News