Wacko Christians use Angkorian carving as argument for creationism

News articles related to Cambodia can be posted here, but remember to link back to the original source.

Wacko Christians use Angkorian carving as argument for creationism

Postby pedros » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Well, tbf the original source is the Daily Star.

For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal, such as a rhino or a croc. But if they are of the dinosaur – the kind with broad plates on its backs and spiked tails – one thing scientists do agree on: It is not proof that the giant creature – which paleontologists believe became extinct 65 million years ago – and humans lived together simultaneously.

However, the opinion of experts is unlikely to change the mind of proponents of Creationism, the religious belief that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old. According to a recent story in the British tabloid the Daily Star, Creationists have jumped on the theory that the bas relief carvings depict the prehistoric giants and point to it as proof that dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time, thus confirming their theory of the Earth’s age.

The Daily Star cited an excerpt from an article in UFO Sighting Footage, a periodical popular with Creationists, saying that “anything before 1800 AD that depicts a dinosaur or what we consider a dinosaur to look like shouldn’t exist.”

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... -us-humans

For the tribe of Young Earth creationists, who believe Biblical passages support claims the huge beasts lived peacefully in the Garden of Eden, the carving could supplement their beliefs.

An article in UFO Sightings Footage said: “There is the proof, the proof is in the carvings, in the stone itself!

“Anything before 1800 AD that depicts a dinosaur or what we consider a dinosaur looks like shouldn’t exist."

The author added: “It shouldn't exist because dinosaurs died off way before humans ever existed so when we see a carving from a very long time ago with what appears to be a dinosaur and let's face it what could be mistaken for a T-Rex we need to re-evaluate the whole dinosaur "as yet" proven time line?

“We need to re-evaluate the asteroid that supposedly wiped out the Dinosaurs and actually find out what crash landed on this planet all that time ago.”

According to the website's claims they are like the Ica stone of Peru that allegedly has depictions of dinosaurs, and the carvings are further proof that the animals did co-habit with humans.

It continued: “The Ica stones are more proof that humans and dinosaurs did actually co-exist together and humans maybe played a part in their eventual demise.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... nt-extinct
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Re: Wacko Christians use Angkorian carving as argument for creationism

Postby springrain » Thu May 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Why do you immediately assume they are 'Wacko'? Anyone who challenges orthodox beliefs should be lauded, I reckon. At the very least, folk should carry out their own research to see if their are any grains of truth in what is claimed by 'wacko' groups.
As I have stated before, my own findings lead me to theorise that our origins lie somewhere between creationism and evolution. At some point, our DNA has been tampered with by those who would be regarded as ' Gods' by we of inferior technology.
“Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
Einstein
springrain
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 pm

I read that in the Phnom Penh Post today and was dumbfounded by how bad it was. The bas relief in question has been talked about for years and is certainly worthy of discussion, it just deserves better than this:

The Daily Star cited an excerpt from an article in UFO Sighting Footage, a periodical popular with Creationists

And then the Phnom Penh Post quoted a trashy tabloid that was citing an article written by fringe-belief lunatics, what does that make them?
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby slavedog » Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Filling the gap in copy and paste journalism left by the Daily.
slavedog
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby pedros » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Yeah, but it's blatantly just a rhino with some trees in the background, isn't it?
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby Spigzy » Thu May 17, 2018 9:55 pm

Pangolin on heat.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 pm

pedros wrote:Yeah, but it's blatantly just a rhino with some trees in the background, isn't it?

It's clearly a Manhog with a busted up temple behind it. Probably a reference to the Biblical story of Noah, or the garden of Eden or something.

Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby kinard » Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 am

The relief in question was part of a restoration some years ago, and that is evident by the different colour of the stone when compared to the other reliefs beside it. Someone was taking the piss,I suspect, when the restorations were made.
'Understanding is a well-spring of life to him who has it, but the correction of fools is folly' -Proverbs 16:22
kinard
I can not turn my computer off ...

Postby spitthedog » Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am

I'd say more likely a buffalo than a Stegosaurus. Taking a wild guess, but i reckon those Stegosaurus's would be hard to train, and eat all your crops. Unless it was one of those aliens that also built the Egyptian pyramids?

Looks abit like George from Zippy and Bungle fame.

I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Internet Addiction: it is real

Postby amirite » Fri May 18, 2018 11:42 am

What if it was just art? Or the dude was on drugs when he made it?

Can you imagine if a different civilization were to look at our artwork a millennia from now? They'd see Dali and be like "there was a period where everything on earth melted," or see one million dogs playing poker, and know that we trained dogs in the fine art of gambling.
amirite
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Playboy » Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Or the era where The Mighty Red Chicken was worshiped as our Lord and Saviour Image
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby kinard » Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Dino and the buddhist monk

'Understanding is a well-spring of life to him who has it, but the correction of fools is folly' -Proverbs 16:22
kinard
I can not turn my computer off ...

Postby crazyjohn » Fri May 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Recent discoveries and better technology have turned our knowledge of our origins upside down. It seems certain now that homo erectus was around inThe Phillipines 700,000 years ago and that homo sapien coexisted with Neanderthals.
But we never ran around chasing dinosaurs. Anyone who believes this is nuts.
crazyjohn
I've got internet at work

Postby springrain » Sat May 19, 2018 4:27 pm

crazyjohn wrote: But we never ran around chasing dinosaurs. Anyone who believes this is nuts.

You may think we are 'nuts', but I'm afraid I don't subscribe to your point of view at this moment in time. There are some instances of rock art that suggest further investigation might be fruitful.

It just might be that the various institutes created, such as the Rockefeller Foundation, the Carnegie Foundation, the Tavistock Institute, Royal Observatory and so on are there to get into 'new' discoveries quick, process them to fit their 'facts' and continue to bully, coerce and threaten genuine universities (of which not many remain) into regurgitating their view of life.

I'd like to know on what assumptions you base your observation. Is it because you are afraid to admit that such and such a 'University' or' Professor' might be mistaken?

Were Plato and Aristotle, considered the wisest men in their day, correct when they embraced the Ptolemaic model of Geocentricity?

Or was anyone who doubted what they said 'nuts'?

I believe it is better to try to find plausible answers rather than dismiss ideas that might contradict your narrow beliefs as 'nuts'.
“Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
Einstein
springrain
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby spitthedog » Sat May 19, 2018 5:43 pm

springrain wrote:
crazyjohn wrote: But we never ran around chasing dinosaurs. Anyone who believes this is nuts.

You may think we are 'nuts', but I'm afraid I don't subscribe to your point of view at this moment in time. There are some instances of rock art that suggest further investigation might be fruitful.

It just might be that the various institutes created, such as the Rockefeller Foundation, the Carnegie Foundation, the Tavistock Institute, Royal Observatory and so on are there to get into 'new' discoveries quick, process them to fit their 'facts' and continue to bully, coerce and threaten genuine universities (of which not many remain) into regurgitating their view of life.

I'd like to know on what assumptions you base your observation. Is it because you are afraid to admit that such and such a 'University' or' Professor' might be mistaken?

Were Plato and Aristotle, considered the wisest men in their day, correct when they embraced the Ptolemaic model of Geocentricity?

Or was anyone who doubted what they said 'nuts'?

I believe it is better to try to find plausible answers rather than dismiss ideas that might contradict your narrow beliefs as 'nuts'.

Springrain,

So at what point did we go from us chasing the reptiles to the reptiles controlling us then mate?

Was there a key date in history when things turned?

My heads abit muggy today what with the heat and all. :pissed:
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Internet Addiction: it is real

Next

Return to Cambodia in the News