Invasion of the flying bug things

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Invasion of the flying bug things

Postby pedros » Thu May 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Every year at the beginning of the rains millions of winged bastards swarm in from nowhere, attracted by light, spin about everywhere before losing there wings and dying..

Today, my friends, is that day. It's already becoming a holocaust on every flat surface.

Years ago in Battambang I turned on the light in the communal hallway to find the security boy sat in the dark shovelling these insects into his mouth.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Re: Invasion of the flying bug things

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 pm

pedros wrote:
Years ago in Battambang I turned on the light in the communal hallway to find the security boy sat in the dark shovelling these insects into his mouth.

That's fucking gross. I haven't seen any around here recently, but they are annoying as hell. One beer shop I go to just puts a bowl of water under each of his (vertical)strip-lights, and after a while they all just drown. They can be a real pain in the ass if you're in a boat with lights or riding a bike with lights in the dark without a decent visor or goggles.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby RainMan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Get them seasonally in Aus, flying ants we call em as the wings fall off after flying around, somebody said flying termites, don't know but they don't sting.
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm

These aren't flying ants, they are some kind of small mayfly-type thing. They don't sting but when there are too many crawling all over you it feels itchy and they try and go in your eyes and nose and are pretty annoying.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby RainMan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Just looked up mayflys, the ones we get don't have that tail on them and they look more like small ants. Used to sweep the wings off the balcony in the morning, they swarmed over outdoor lights. Geckos love em, bless their hearts.
Never mind.
RainMan

Postby Angkor Wad » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:These aren't flying ants, they are some kind of small mayfly-type thing. They don't sting but when there are too many crawling all over you it feels itchy and they try and go in your eyes and nose and are pretty annoying.

Mee Phleang

Edible (when fried).

Angkor Wad
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby RainMan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Looks like a very tasty abdomen :thumbsup:
Never mind.
RainMan

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy