Term of endearment?

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Term of endearment?

Postby RainMan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 pm

A few times with regular tuk drivers or shop assistants I've just said "thanks friend" and get a stare with you "you not friend... you brother".
Not used to calling people brother or vice versa but is it impolite to say friend?

I'm used to being called handsome man, but that's another story.
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
User avatar
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm
Location: Vagabond

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby slavedog » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Happy to call them brother in the vernacular, but don't think I could ever bring myself to say in English.
User avatar
slavedog
Wibble Wibble ?!?
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby RainMan » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Funny thing, I used to be called 'broken leg' for obvious reasons, then 'bung eye' again for obvious reasons. The same old digger that gave me the nicknames I've known for over 30 years, he asked for my real name just recently.
Nicknames are a term of endearment in Aus, going out of style now.
I now hear 'old cunt' often :roll:
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
User avatar
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm
Location: Vagabond

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 am

RainMan wrote:A few times with regular tuk drivers or shop assistants I've just said "thanks friend" and get a stare with you "you not friend... you brother".
Not used to calling people brother or vice versa but is it impolite to say friend?

I'm used to being called handsome man, but that's another story.


How do you say friend?
I know "Mut" and "Pu Mak" which is mostly used for close friends.
I find those phrases annoying when they are emphasized too much.
To me it's a bit childish to point out stuff that goes without saying,
but then the guys who call me that are all fairly solid and dependable.
When local guys I know say "Hey brother.." in English that's a bit weird.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 18752
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby johnny lightning » Fri May 18, 2018 12:58 am

I hate this "brother" nonsense. Not quite sure where it came from but I wish they would stop. I don't even like my brother calling me brother! And no, "bro" is not on either.

Johnny
johnny lightning
I live above an internet cafe
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Lucky Lucan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 am

johnny lightning wrote:I hate this "brother" nonsense. Not quite sure where it came from but I wish they would stop. I don't even like my brother calling me brother! And no, "bro" is not on either.

Johnny


It probably comes from the way the people here address each other. It sounds weird in English, like you are talking to a hippy ( "brother") or a gangster ("bro") or something but in Khmer it's totally normal to call people child/ brother/ uncle/ grandfather/ etc even if they are obviously not even remotely related to you.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
User avatar
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain
 
Posts: 18752
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: The Pearl of the Orient

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby tarariverboat » Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am

haha:) wait till you get a bit older most khmers call me papa :)
its a nice friendly greeting and i follow up with cheers cob:)
User avatar
tarariverboat
I have Cheap Mobile Internet
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm
Location: tonle sap

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Playboy » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 am

I always know when I am long overdue for a shave when I start getting a few mentions as Ta.
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
User avatar
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy
 
Posts: 22499
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:30 pm
Location: Hotel K: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Kachang » Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am

Playboy wrote:I always know when I am long overdue for a shave when I start getting a few mentions as Ta.


Actually for a Khmer girl you're already overdue if she calls you 'phoo'.
User avatar
Kachang
Bark plop plop bark woof woof
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 am

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Playboy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:37 am

Kachang wrote:
Playboy wrote:I always know when I am long overdue for a shave when I start getting a few mentions as Ta.


Actually for a Khmer girl you're already overdue if she calls you 'phoo'.


These days I already get 25% Pooh in the mix regardless of whether or not I have shaved ...
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
User avatar
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy
 
Posts: 22499
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:30 pm
Location: Hotel K: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby violet » Fri May 18, 2018 12:43 pm

^beat me to it.
Violet the Destroyer (of forums)
User avatar
violet
Suspicious Little Mad Woman
 
Posts: 15687
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Not there.

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby RainMan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

violet wrote:^beat me to it.


Just for curiosities sake violet, do you get called 'sister' by either men or women? I know the Khmer girls call each other sister a lot.
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
User avatar
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm
Location: Vagabond

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby RainMan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:
RainMan wrote:A few times with regular tuk drivers or shop assistants I've just said "thanks friend" and get a stare with you "you not friend... you brother".
Not used to calling people brother or vice versa but is it impolite to say friend?

I'm used to being called handsome man, but that's another story.


How do you say friend?
I know "Mut" and "Pu Mak" which is mostly used for close friends.
I find those phrases annoying when they are emphasized too much.
To me it's a bit childish to point out stuff that goes without saying,
but then the guys who call me that are all fairly solid and dependable.
When local guys I know say "Hey brother.." in English that's a bit weird.


I still use English LL. I'm slowly practicing Khmer but just get funny laughs at the moment.
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
User avatar
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm
Location: Vagabond

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby Playboy » Fri May 18, 2018 1:26 pm

RainMan wrote:
violet wrote:^beat me to it.


Just for curiosities sake violet, do you get called 'sister' by either men or women? I know the Khmer girls call each other sister a lot.
Ming ??
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
User avatar
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy
 
Posts: 22499
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:30 pm
Location: Hotel K: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Term of endearment?

Postby RainMan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Mooseknuckle
Never mind.
I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things.
User avatar
RainMan
K440 Defender of the Faith
 
Posts: 5163
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:54 pm
Location: Vagabond

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Miguelito, spitthedog, Steve Zodiac and 146 guests