Weird Khmer Words

Discussions / Q&A on all areas of the Khmer language.

Weird Khmer Words

Postby firetruck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

When I speak Khmer and use different word for family term, people look very confused. My family from father's side uses words like "gong"(grandpa) "ma"(grandma) "hian"(brother) "di"(brother) "mey"(sister) "tey"(sister) "gim"(aunt) "sim"(also aunt) "e"(aunt). Where are these word from? I barely hear anyone use it.
firetruck
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Weird Khmer Words

Postby epidemiks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:44 am

firetruck wrote:When I speak Khmer and use different word for family term, people look very confused. My family from father's side uses words like "gong"(grandpa) "ma"(grandma) "hian"(brother) "di"(brother) "mey"(sister) "tey"(sister) "gim"(aunt) "sim"(also aunt) "e"(aunt). Where are these word from? I barely hear anyone use it.

Your father's side probably has chinese blood, as most of those appear similar to cantonese/Chinese.

http://www.chinese-lessons.com/cantones ... Family.htm

'e' for aunt is from Chinese and commonly used in my wife's family.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby pedros » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 am

Yeah, there is a strange address system to Chinese-Khmers (or those seen to have lighter skin), I know 'Ee' and 'Kong' is used a lot, especially down the markets.

Also, families seem to have there own things, for example the kids call my wife 'ee' and some of the uncles 'oo'.

My kid call his grandmother 'mai', oldest aunt 'mak thom' his mother 'mak touch' and youngest aunt 'ee mom'. Then he uses 'pu' and 'om'for some uncles, but 'oo' for others, along with the standard 'minh, yay and ta'.
pedros
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby Marinaris » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

firetruck wrote:When I speak Khmer and use different word for family term, people look very confused. My family from father's side uses words like "gong"(grandpa) "ma"(grandma) "hian"(brother) "di"(brother) "mey"(sister) "tey"(sister) "gim"(aunt) "sim"(also aunt) "e"(aunt). Where are these word from? I barely hear anyone use it.

Because your family is of chinese descent (Teochew) precisely.
The hierarchy system in Teochew is much more accurate than khmer one. From the way you call someone, people around can easily guess what's your relationship to this person.
Marinaris
I've got internet at work

Return to Khmer Language