Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Discussion room for teachers in Cambodia and beyond. The place to exchange your ideas and views on TEFLs, schools, salaries and the working world. Non-teachers welcome.

Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi All,

I am 43 year old Aussie male planning to move to Cambodia in around 2 months to have a try at English teaching.

My girlfriend is Khmer and I want to try living together as well as experiencing the KoW for more than my 2 week visit last Dec/Jan.

I wanted to ask about salary expectations.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Engineering (Chemical/Environmental)
I am a native English speaker and essentially White (a little Asian heritage and squintier eyes than the average but by Asians considered white)
I have no teaching qualifications YET

If I get my online 120hrs TEFL before I come to KoW what should my salary range expectations be in Phnom Penh?

If I get a CELTA instead could it make any difference to salary expectations as a total newbie? After some experience?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was hoping to get online TEFL certificate over next 2 months nd come to Cambodia mid August.
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby springrain » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 pm

I wouldn't mess around with online garbage, mate.
I'd do a proper CELTA.

Good luck!
“Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
Einstein
User avatar
springrain
Wibble Wibble ?!?
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby YaTingPom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi!
Is this your first foray into moving to a SE country?
Oh long will old Ireland be seeking in vain
Ere we find a new leader to match the man slain.
User avatar
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist
 
Posts: 5584
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:42 am

springrain wrote:I wouldn't mess around with online garbage, mate.
I'd do a proper CELTA.

Good luck!


Thanks for reply springrain. Can I ask for some extra info from you?

I understand CELTA is far more valuable for a career in teaching globally (and better for my own learning), but since I am wanting to have a go in Cambodia to start with:

Would CELTA make any difference to salary expectations in the beginning as a complete newbie to English teaching anyway? From research most schools in Phnom Penh pay no-to-low experience teachers $10-12/hr whether you have CELTA, TEFL/TESOL or just an online 120hr TEFL, and don't even have a degree?

However, would a high-end school such as ACE (who I could actually do the CELTA training with as well), hire a newbie with no previous experience and/or pay them $15-$20/hr even with a CELTA? If so then I could easily justify the cost of the CELTA! (I am hoping this is the case).

But if I'm only looking to earn a newbie salary of $10-12 p/hr regardless of certification then I'd be paying $1,700 (CELTA) for the same wage as having $270 online TESL certification. (And maybe people with no degree or certifcation at all). In this case I was thinking get some experience first and do the CELTA training later when it could help gain a better rate?

Thanks again mate if you can help...
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:52 am

YaTingPom wrote:Hi!
Is this your first foray into moving to a SE country?


Hi YaTingPom,

Yes it would be my first time moving to SEA. I've only spent short holidays in a few countries. The main reason for Cambodia is my girlfriend lives there and I would like to experience living in her country before considering whether we stay there, move to another SEA country, or back in Australia.

BTW I just joined Khmer440 yesterday and am avidly reading all the threads I can. This the main reason for the CELTA question as many people here agree CELTA is the best, especially for a long-term future in EFL teaching.

My girl can live on $120 per month plus tips, so if we can't live on $1000 a month then I will be a disgrace by Khmer standards, but $2000 would be a far happier experience haha

Cheers... Cole
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby springrain » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Aussie Khmer wrote:
springrain wrote:I wouldn't mess around with online garbage, mate.
I'd do a proper CELTA.

Good luck!


Thanks for reply springrain. Can I ask for some extra info from you?

I understand CELTA is far more valuable for a career in teaching globally (and better for my own learning), but since I am wanting to have a go in Cambodia to start with:

Would CELTA make any difference to salary expectations in the beginning as a complete newbie to English teaching anyway? From research most schools in Phnom Penh pay no-to-low experience teachers $10-12/hr whether you have CELTA, TEFL/TESOL or just an online 120hr TEFL, and don't even have a degree?

However, would a high-end school such as ACE (who I could actually do the CELTA training with as well), hire a newbie with no previous experience and/or pay them $15-$20/hr even with a CELTA? If so then I could easily justify the cost of the CELTA! (I am hoping this is the case).

But if I'm only looking to earn a newbie salary of $10-12 p/hr regardless of certification then I'd be paying $1,700 (CELTA) for the same wage as having $270 online TESL certification. (And maybe people with no degree or certifcation at all). In this case I was thinking get some experience first and do the CELTA training later when it could help gain a better rate?

Thanks again mate if you can help...


Thanks for your reply and I'll try to answer your questions, but I have been out of the TEFL loop for a good ten years or so.

Firstly, a CELTA is the real deal when it comes to introductory TEFL qualifications; everybody knows that (or should know it) so that fact should always be the starting point of any discussion.

If, as you say, ACE do offer a CELTA course, you should definitely try to get involved in that.

On the other hand, if you are 'happy' to earn a lower salary, without the outlay of CELTA fees for a while, why not try that? Ultimately, though, the paying of CELTA fees will reward your effort (assuming you pass the CELTA).

There aren't really any short cuts, I reckon. Either get the best-known qualification and negotiate from a position of strength or take a risk not getting CELTA-qualified and ...erm...take the risks that go with that.

As for your questions about being hired at ACE, best to ask ACE yourself and see what they say.

That's the best advice I can give, mate. Good luck again!
“Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
Einstein
User avatar
springrain
Wibble Wibble ?!?
 
Posts: 1954
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 pm

There are plenty of threads and comments about ACE and nothing much has changed apart from worsening conditions. Also, there will be less classes for native speakers in the future as local teachers will be teaching more and more levels. Yes, they hire noobs fresh of the CELTA because experienced, qualified teachers don't want to be treated like excrement!

For more job security try and get in at one of the lower tier "International Schools." I know quite a few people who left ACE and are MUCH happier with the conditions and pay.

Have you thought about doing a PGCE in Education? If you are only going to teach in KoW then I don't think the Celta is a good investment but I also wouldn't waste my money on an online cert.

You could also try teaching English online first. You may find ESL teaching isn't as fun, glamorous and exciting as you imagine it to be :smile:
Last edited by Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint
I have some social problems
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Right behind you

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pm

springrain wrote:
Aussie Khmer wrote:
springrain wrote:I wouldn't mess around with online garbage, mate.
I'd do a proper CELTA.

Good luck!


Thanks for reply springrain. Can I ask for some extra info from you?

I understand CELTA is far more valuable for a career in teaching globally (and better for my own learning), but since I am wanting to have a go in Cambodia to start with:

Would CELTA make any difference to salary expectations in the beginning as a complete newbie to English teaching anyway? From research most schools in Phnom Penh pay no-to-low experience teachers $10-12/hr whether you have CELTA, TEFL/TESOL or just an online 120hr TEFL, and don't even have a degree?

However, would a high-end school such as ACE (who I could actually do the CELTA training with as well), hire a newbie with no previous experience and/or pay them $15-$20/hr even with a CELTA? If so then I could easily justify the cost of the CELTA! (I am hoping this is the case).

But if I'm only looking to earn a newbie salary of $10-12 p/hr regardless of certification then I'd be paying $1,700 (CELTA) for the same wage as having $270 online TESL certification. (And maybe people with no degree or certifcation at all). In this case I was thinking get some experience first and do the CELTA training later when it could help gain a better rate?

Thanks again mate if you can help...


Thanks for your reply and I'll try to answer your questions, but I have been out of the TEFL loop for a good ten years or so.

Firstly, a CELTA is the real deal when it comes to introductory TEFL qualifications; everybody knows that (or should know it) so that fact should always be the starting point of any discussion.

If, as you say, ACE do offer a CELTA course, you should definitely try to get involved in that.

On the other hand, if you are 'happy' to earn a lower salary, without the outlay of CELTA fees for a while, why not try that? Ultimately, though, the paying of CELTA fees will reward your effort (assuming you pass the CELTA).

There aren't really any short cuts, I reckon. Either get the best-known qualification and negotiate from a position of strength or take a risk not getting CELTA-qualified and ...erm...take the risks that go with that.

As for your questions about being hired at ACE, best to ask ACE yourself and see what they say.

That's the best advice I can give, mate. Good luck again!


I'd say your best advice is pretty good mate!

I really appreciated the detailed and quick response. I will contact ACE of course - shouldn't really need you to tell me that lol. Their first available course is Sep/Oct, so I might even decide to do the (very cheap in comparison) online course now to at least get a sort of 'introduction to the introduction, and maybe get more out of the month-long CELTA in Siem Reap. Coming in mid August would then give me a month of exploring and acclimatizing myself in Cambodia for a month before the course starts.

As you say, getting the gold-standard in introduction certification before starting could also be a bonus in Cambodia, or especially if I find I enjoy teaching but wish to teach in other countries in the future.

Thanks again mate. Which city are you based in? If you'd like I can shout you a beer or Rum from around August 15th?

Cheers... Cole
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint wrote:There are plenty of threads and comments about ACE and nothing much has changed apart from worsening conditions. Also, there will be less classes for native speakers in the future as local teachers will be teaching more and more levels. Yes, they hire noobs fresh of the CELTA because experienced, qualified teachers don't want to be treated like excrement!

For more job security try and get in at one of the lower tier "International Schools." I know quite a few people who left ACE and are MUCH happier with the conditions and pay.

Have you thought about doing a PGCE in Education? If you are only going to teach in KoW then I don't think the Celta is a good investment but I also wouldn't waste my money on an online cert.

You could also try teaching English online first. You may find ESL teaching isn't as fun, glamorous and exciting as you imagine it to be :smile:


Hmmm, much to consider! I'll contact ACE to ask about salary expectations if I did their CELTA, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be getting that sort of info out of them hahaha.

As a newbie I've been checking out lots of forums/threads for more experienced opinions (can turn you off the whole idea hearing from old hands lol), FB pages and youtube videos from 6-12months newbies documenting their experience in the KoW who make it sound pretty great (probably because they are too busy learning how to actually teach to have gotten jaded yet).

I'm seeing complaints about just about every school in Cambodia based on: shit management, crappy wages, experience not recognized (in pay rates), not being able to get a job with 10 years experience because unless you're a 20yo female backpacker with no experience or certification whatsoever schools don't want to know, not getting paid, the list is endless. So yeah, I don't think I'm under the illusion that ESL in Cambodia especially is a glamorous profession anymore hahahahaha. (According to people with a Bachelors in Education ESL is not even a REAL profession anyway and instructors are not REALLY teachers!)

I have thought about online teaching but not sure if no certification and no experience is a good way to start down that road.

I guess I'll just have to come and start and see if I like teaching ESL at all, and at least hopefully be able to live in Cambodia while having some sort of income coming in, even if it's only $10/hr. (I did see people saying ACE pay 22-25/hr but will ask them if that's available for a newbie or if it's just the $10/hr everywhere else pays).

The main thing is I get to spend some time with my girl and see if I like the country as well.

Thanks for your input mate. All the advice is helping.

Cheers... Cole
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Online TEFL first, CELTA later?

Postby Aussie Khmer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Hot_Pink_Urinal_Mint wrote:There are plenty of threads and comments about ACE and nothing much has changed apart from worsening conditions. Also, there will be less classes for native speakers in the future as local teachers will be teaching more and more levels. Yes, they hire noobs fresh of the CELTA because experienced, qualified teachers don't want to be treated like excrement!

For more job security try and get in at one of the lower tier "International Schools." I know quite a few people who left ACE and are MUCH happier with the conditions and pay.

Have you thought about doing a PGCE in Education? If you are only going to teach in KoW then I don't think the Celta is a good investment but I also wouldn't waste my money on an online cert.

You could also try teaching English online first. You may find ESL teaching isn't as fun, glamorous and exciting as you imagine it to be :smile:


Oh yeah I forgot. A PGCE equivalent in Australia has now gone from what used to be 1 year full-time stint to a minimum 2 year university stint. I had thought about it before considering ESL teaching but it's a huge commitment that I wouldn't consider unless I found I enjoyed teaching classes already and wanted to teach more than just ESL given my maths/science/engineering background. I think I'm happier for now to dip my feet into the Mekong and see if I like the temperature first.

Cheers.. Cole
Aussie Khmer
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm


Return to The Staff Room




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests