Is amok the ' national dish' of Cambodia?

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Is amok the ' national dish' of Cambodia?

Postby pedros » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am

As I haven't engaged in any recent mudslinging with my traditional internet foes recently, and as I'm a petulant twat, I'm currently engaged in a heated argument with God botherers on whether amok is the national dish of Cambodia.

I've been around a while and travelled the length and breadth. As a penniless peasant, I've eaten in many a Cambodian restaurant, and outside of the tourist areas have never (to my recollection) seen amok on a menu.

I was always of the understanding that it was a French colonial dish made because, although the frogs will eat most things, they draw a line at fermented fish paste, although I might be wrong on that.

As a case survey, I asked a dozen Cambodian staff this morning if they eat it at home, or outside, 6 said ' no, never' and the other 6 needed to see a picture on google to understand what it is, then said they didn't eat it anyway, but ' look delicious'.

Would you agree or disagree on this choice of national cuisine? I think they've got their facts from Asia lifestyle cooking websites marketing tourists.

Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Re: Is amok the ' national dish' of Cambodia?

Postby tombraider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 am

Amok is not the national dish, I would say you are looking at either Nom banh chok, bai sach chrouk or Samlor Kako have a greater claim. I think you are correct that it is only sold in tourist areas (and often not cooked properly as it takes 40 mins steaming to get it exactly right ).

Interesting that god-bothering Christians are only 1%. How much money has been pumped in by proselytising western institutions to try to indoctrinate Khmers into Christianity and yet barely a dent after all these years.
tombraider
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby epidemiks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 am

Wouldn't say it's THE national dish, but it's not that rare. I remember being told it was a 'royal dish', and usually only eaten around festival times. My wife cooks it every now and then, the liquid curry style, not the steamed mousse version.

Also wrong:

Dankrek, not Dankret
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

Most common dishes I see:
- noodle soup
- rice and pork
- nom banh chok
- banh chauv

Even beef Loklak is much more common than Amok.

The most popular dish I think probably would be Somlaw M’Jou.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby pedros » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Lok lak, or a variant, is sold in most non-specific (ie only noodles etc) khmer places I've eaten.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
I'm on 3000; na na, na na na

Postby Hanno » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am

My Missus cooks Ha Mok (sp?) at home. She learned it from her mother, someone who certainly never set foot in a touristy area and there weren't many tourists in the refugee camps either.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Only Friend

Postby Alexandra » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am

Anyway, like I was sayin', prahok is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, prahok-kebabs, prahok creole, prahok gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple prahok, lemon prahok, coconut prahok, pepper prahok, prahok soup, prahok stew, prahok salad, prahok and potatoes, prahok burger, prahok sandwich. That- that's about it.
Bless is no more
Alexandra
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby tombraider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am

Alexandra wrote:Anyway, like I was sayin', prahok is the fruit of the sea. .

More like fruit of the polluted river
tombraider
I have Cheap Mobile Internet

Postby epidemiks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

A 'National dish' isn't the dish most eaten anyway, it's more what people regard as the highlight of the country's food culture or what would be traditionally eaten during important cultural events.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about pork and rice besides it's price, nor rat balls and mama noodle flavour sachets AKA "Kuy Teav Phnom Penh". Num ban chok and is awful, imo, but closer to a national dish that those two.

As an example, roast lamb is considered the national dish of Australia, followed closely by meat pies and sausages in bread. None of which I'd eat even close to daily, but they would be eaten around a tradition - a Sunday lunch for a roast, at the footy or after getting on the piss for a pie, a saturday bbq for a sausage in bread.

Tagine and cous cous for Morocco, Bacalhau in Portugal, Poutine for Canada, Nasi Lemak or satay for Malaysia, etc.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby Hanno » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

epidemiks wrote:A 'National dish' isn't the dish most eaten anyway, it's more what people regard as the highlight of the country's food culture or what would be traditionally eaten during important cultural events.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about pork and rice besides it's price, nor rat balls and mama noodle flavour sachets AKA "Kuy Teav Phnom Penh". Num ban chok and is awful, imo, but closer to a national dish that those two.

As an example, roast lamb is considered the national dish of Australia, followed closely by meat pies and sausages in bread. None of which I'd eat even close to daily, but they would be eaten around a tradition - a Sunday lunch for a roast, at the footy or after getting on the piss for a pie, a saturday bbq for a sausage in bread.

Tagine and cous cous for Morocco, Bacalhau in Portugal, Poutine for Canada, Nasi Lemak or satay for Malaysia, etc.

Good point. Sauerbraten in Germany is as close to a national dish as it gets, but I suspect most Germans might eat that once or twice a tear; if that.
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Only Friend

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm

epidemiks wrote:A 'National dish' isn't the dish most eaten anyway, it's more what people regard as the highlight of the country's food culture or what would be traditionally eaten during important cultural events.

Yeah I agree with this.
Thinking of Cambodia, the flavours that reminds me of the country would probably be amok, lok lak and maybe weirdly, stuffed frogs.
Amok could well be considered a/the national dish.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
Where Did All the People Go?

Postby Miguelito » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Alexandra wrote:Anyway, like I was sayin', prahok is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, prahok-kebabs, prahok creole, prahok gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple prahok, lemon prahok, coconut prahok, pepper prahok, prahok soup, prahok stew, prahok salad, prahok and potatoes, prahok burger, prahok sandwich. That- that's about it.

Thanks Bubba. You forgot popcorn prahok.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

I completely agree with your original post Pedro's.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real

Postby spitthedog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Hamok is sold everywhere on stalls in Thailand. I always assumed it was more muslim what with the chillies and coconut milk.
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby Lucky Lucan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Doesn't Amok have prahoc in it anyway? I've eaten it with families outside of tourist areas but would agree it's usually just for special occasions.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy