Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby Kim Jong Un » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:45 am

I'm coming back to Cambodia for a third time next week and want to hire a motorcycle while in Kampot (and perhaps Battambang). However, there are a few things I'm confused about. From what I've read on the forums the IDP won't cover me from an insurance perspective as it's not accepted in Cambodia. I'm only in the country for five and a half weeks, so I'll be on a tourist visa, and I gather this means I won't be able to acquire a local license? I do have a full motorcycle permit from Australia.

I'm aware that locals and expats don't need a local license to ride a small bike (up to 125cc) legally, but is this also true for visitors on a tourist visa? Will I be covered in the event of an accident if I were to hire a small bike? (I have added road motorcycle riding to my World Nomads policy.)

And on the topic of small bikes: what would be the best one to hire from a performance perspective?

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Kim Jong Un
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 am

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby hudson hawk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am

I am also currently trying to get World Nomads to help me with this but they are being vague about the licensing requirements. They told me I had to work this out myself. I got an email answer from the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh that said no license required for bikes under 125cc. I forwarded this to World Nomads however they refused to confirm that their claims team would accept this as evidence of licensing requirements.

So I think to be 100% sure you need to go to Aeon Mall 2 in Phnom Penh to get a Cambodian license.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has had success at getting a Cambodian drivers license on a tourist visa?
hudson hawk
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby clutchcargo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 am

Kim Jong Un wrote:I'm coming back to Cambodia for a third time next week and want to hire a motorcycle while in Kampot (and perhaps Battambang). However, there are a few things I'm confused about. From what I've read on the forums the IDP won't cover me from an insurance perspective as it's not accepted in Cambodia. I'm only in the country for five and a half weeks, so I'll be on a tourist visa, and I gather this means I won't be able to acquire a local license? I do have a full motorcycle permit from Australia.

I'm aware that locals and expats don't need a local license to ride a small bike (up to 125cc) legally, but is this also true for visitors on a tourist visa? Will I be covered in the event of an accident if I were to hire a small bike? (I have added road motorcycle riding to my World Nomads policy.)

And on the topic of small bikes: what would be the best one to hire from a performance perspective?

Thanks in advance.


AFAIK from reading forums:

IDP not valid in Cambodia (except reportedly in Snook)
Need long term visa to apply for cambo licence
Unclear whether no licence for <125cc applies to foreigners. Anecdotal evidence on forums: incidences of police saying it only applies to khmers (but of course that could be just a scam)
Read your travel insurance PDS with a fine tooth comb re motorcycle.
Sorry, can't be more definitive. Maybe others can elaborate.
User avatar
clutchcargo
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby clutchcargo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am

User avatar
clutchcargo
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

Most insurers like world nomads require you to be legal in the country your are in, as well as your home country. If you're not legal/licensed to ride a <125cc scooter at home, you won't be covered here, despite you being legal here without a licence.

Pretty sure there is published law which indicates that no licence is required for up to 125cc, so I would track that down if you are planning to rely on it.

Edit. There is no published law afaik. The most recent I have is the 2015 law that came into effect Jan 1 2016. On Jan 7 HE announced that he was scrapping the A1 licence, but Ive not found any amendments or newer versions of the actual printed statutes. As mentioned, there is some doubt whether this applies to foreigners, but it's a classic Cambodia catch 22: how can a foreigner obtain a licence that does not exist? Maybe they'll take HE Facebook posts as evidence?

Here's the video announcement from HE:

https://www.facebook.com/hunsencambodia ... 079860123/

Video: សម្តេចតេជោ ហ៊ុន សែន ពន្យល់បញ្ជាក់អំពីចំណុចសំខាន់ៗមួយចំនួនដែលជាកង្វល់របស់ពលរដ្ឋចំពោះការអនុវត្តន៍ច្បាប់ចរាចរណ៍ថ្មីដូចខាងក្រោម:-

១-សេចក្តីសម្រេចមិនតម្រូវអោយបង់ថ្លៃប្រឡងប័ណ្ណបើកបរម៉ូតូ (កម្លាំង 125cc ចុះក្រោម)។
២-ប្រសិនបើបានបង់ថ្លៃប័ណ្ណបើកបរម៉ូតូកម្លាំង 125cc រួចហើយ ហើយចង់បានថវិកាវិញ គឺត្រូវយកប័ណ្ណបើកបរមកប្រគល់អោយក្រសួងវិញ ដើម្បីទួលយកប្រាក់ត្រឡប់វិញគ្រប់ចំនួន។
៣-តម្លៃបង់ថ្លៃប័ណ្ណបើកបររថយន្តគឺនឹងបញ្ចុះតម្លៃជូនពលរដ្ឋ ។
៤-ចំពោះពលរដ្ឋដែលមានម៉ូតូកម្លាំង125 ccចុះក្រោម ហើយចង់អោយសមាជិកគ្រួសារប្រើប្រាស់ទោះបីចំនួន ៣ ឬ៤នាក់ ឬ ច្រើនជាងនេះ គឺអាចប្រើប្រាស់ម៉ូតូបាន ដោយមិនចាំបាច់ស្នើរសុំលិខិតបញ្ជាក់ពីអាជ្ញាធរមានសមត្ថកិច្ចឡើយ ប្រសិនបើម្ចាស់ម៉ូតូយល់ព្រមអោយខ្ចីជិះ។
៥-សូមប្រជាពលរដ្ឋរៀនបើកបរបញ្ជាយានយន្តអោយបានស្ទាត់ជំនាញ ហើយរៀនច្បាប់ចរាចរណ៌យល់ដឹងអោយបានច្បាស់លាស់ និងបើកបរគោរពច្បាស់ចរាចរណ៍ទាំងអស់គ្នា ៕

Google Khmenglish:

Video: Samdech Techo HE highlighted some of the key concerns of citizens regarding the implementation of the new traffic laws as follows:

1- The decision is not required to pay a driver's license fee (125cc down).
2- If you have already paid 125cc motorcycle license fee and want to get the money back, return the driver's license to the Ministry to collect the money back.
3- The price of a driver's license is discounted to the people.
4) For citizens with motorbikes of 125 cc down and who want their family members to use even 3 or 4 or more, they can use motorbikes without asking for a certificate from a competent authority if motorbike owners agree to lend.
5-People can learn driving, order vehicles to learn and learn traffic law, clear awareness and drive thoroughly traffic.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2797
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby clutchcargo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:20 am

epidemiks wrote: As mentioned, there is some doubt whether this applies to foreigners, but it's a classic Cambodia catch 22: how can a foreigner obtain a licence that does not exist?


I ended up getting an A licence for moto >125cc even though I ride <125cc mainly to satisfy the insurer whether I need it or not but I'm expat. I don't trust the insurer to not find a loophole to not cover and as an earlier poster mentioned..they couldn't get a definitive answer from World Nomads. Ridiculous situation imo.
User avatar
clutchcargo
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby YaTingPom » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 pm

epidemiks wrote:Most insurers like world nomads require you to be legal in the country your are in, as well as your home country. If you're not legal/licensed to ride a <125cc scooter at home, you won't be covered here, despite you being legal here without a licence.


Pretty much this.
When I had an accident my insurers tried to wiggle out of it saying I had no licence to ride a motorbike at home so therefore (in the small print) I was not legal here.

I have a full UK bike licence so that shut them up.

However. If you don’t know how to ride and have not had lessons don’t learn here. CT clinic is full of bruised and broken young tourists. We used to call the scars “Samui Tatoo”.
I’m bringing sexy back.
User avatar
YaTingPom
GoatFetishist
 
Posts: 5654
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:18 pm

I had an accident here whilst riding without a license for my >125 bike.
My insurance covered everything - it cost over 20k all in. They never asked if I had a license here or at home. I had neither.

I wouldn’t rely on being covered, I was actually surprised that they didn’t ask more questions. I had a few hours of painful worry until they send the guarantee of payment to the hospital.

I now have a license here, but still don’t have a license for home.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby epidemiks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:I had an accident here whilst riding without a license for my >125 bike.
My insurance covered everything - it cost over 20k all in. They never asked if I had a license here or at home. I had neither.

I wouldn’t rely on being covered, I was actually surprised that they didn’t ask more questions. I had a few hours of painful worry until they send the guarantee of payment to the hospital.

I now have a license here, but still don’t have a license for home.
Lucky. What insurer?

It all depends on what the insurer's fine print says.

I think even the normal world nomads coverage (which I'm referencing only because I used them a few times, but have never made a claim) doesn't include motorcycles full stop. The more expensive one does, but has the licence clause.

Pays to read the fine print on any insurance product to ensure it is suitable.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2797
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:44 pm

epidemiks wrote:
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:I had an accident here whilst riding without a license for my >125 bike.
My insurance covered everything - it cost over 20k all in. They never asked if I had a license here or at home. I had neither.

I wouldn’t rely on being covered, I was actually surprised that they didn’t ask more questions. I had a few hours of painful worry until they send the guarantee of payment to the hospital.

I now have a license here, but still don’t have a license for home.
Lucky. What insurer?

It all depends on what the insurer's fine print says.

I think even the normal world nomads coverage (which I'm referencing only because I used them a few times, but have never made a claim) doesn't include motorcycles full stop. The more expensive one does, but has the licence clause.

Pays to read the fine print on any insurance product to ensure it is suitable.

IMG
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Riding a motorcycle and travel insurance

Postby Kim Jong Un » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 pm

YaTingPom wrote:
epidemiks wrote:Most insurers like world nomads require you to be legal in the country your are in, as well as your home country. If you're not legal/licensed to ride a <125cc scooter at home, you won't be covered here, despite you being legal here without a licence.


Pretty much this.
When I had an accident my insurers tried to wiggle out of it saying I had no licence to ride a motorbike at home so therefore (in the small print) I was not legal here.

I have a full UK bike licence so that shut them up.

However. If you don’t know how to ride and have not had lessons don’t learn here. CT clinic is full of bruised and broken young tourists. We used to call the scars “Samui Tatoo”.


I have a full Australian license and ride a 400cc bike.

ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:
epidemiks wrote:
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ wrote:I had an accident here whilst riding without a license for my >125 bike.
My insurance covered everything - it cost over 20k all in. They never asked if I had a license here or at home. I had neither.

I wouldn’t rely on being covered, I was actually surprised that they didn’t ask more questions. I had a few hours of painful worry until they send the guarantee of payment to the hospital.

I now have a license here, but still don’t have a license for home.
Lucky. What insurer?

It all depends on what the insurer's fine print says.

I think even the normal world nomads coverage (which I'm referencing only because I used them a few times, but have never made a claim) doesn't include motorcycles full stop. The more expensive one does, but has the licence clause.

Pays to read the fine print on any insurance product to ensure it is suitable.

IMG


I also paid for the more expensive plan and added 'road motorcycle riding' to the cover. This is what I find so confusing. I'm covered from the 'having a license in your home country' angle, and apparently a Cambodian license is not needed to ride a >125cc bike in Cambodia. Ergo, I should be covered to ride a small bike, but it's doubtful that logic dictates this situation. Insurance companies are generally c**ts as I'm sure you're aware.

I don't give a shit about paying tea money to the cops, but it wouldn't be ideal if I weren't covered.

Foreigners wishing to drive in Cambodia must hold a Cambodian driver licence. A licence is not required to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity of up to 125cc. For motorcycles with larger engine sizes, a licence can be applied for in person at the Ministry of Public Works and Transport using a valid motorcycle licence from Australia; otherwise you will be required to undergo testing. Even if local law does not require you to have a licence for smaller engine motorcycles, we recommend you check with your travel insurer if this will affect your coverage.


From here: http://cambodia.embassy.gov.au/penh/international_driver.html

epidemiks wrote:Maybe they'll take HE Facebook posts as evidence?


lol. If only.

hudson hawk wrote:I am also currently trying to get World Nomads to help me with this but they are being vague about the licensing requirements. They told me I had to work this out myself. I got an email answer from the Australian Embassy in Phnom Penh that said no license required for bikes under 125cc. I forwarded this to World Nomads however they refused to confirm that their claims team would accept this as evidence of licensing requirements.

So I think to be 100% sure you need to go to Aeon Mall 2 in Phnom Penh to get a Cambodian license.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has had success at getting a Cambodian drivers license on a tourist visa?


This is where I'm at. It would also be better to get a bigger bike if possible.
User avatar
Kim Jong Un
440 newbie - handle with care
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:19 am


Return to Questions and Answers




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aem, Google Adsense [Bot], Hanno, Judge, newnewnewbie, Visser and 100 guests