Friend just passed away, I realized in Cambodia ambulances have no oxygen or defibrillators onboard.

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Friend just passed away, I realized in Cambodia ambulances have no oxygen or defibrillators onboard.

Postby jackrossi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm

One close friend of mine just passed away, his son called me as he was beginning to lose consciousness last night while getting a glass of water, I arrived just before he completely lost consciousness and the ambulance arrived about 1 minute later. From the moment he lost consciousness just before being loaded in the ambulance to the hospital it took around 7 minutes.
When he entered the ambulance he still had a pulse and I measured myself what were normal blood pressure numbers and what was likely a fibrillating heart.
My friend's wife called the ambulance but what showed up was barely a lexus with a stretcher and some stickers on the side.
I helped the paramedics load my friend in and jumped in the back of the ambulance.
Nothing in the ambulance, no drugs, no defibrillator, no oxygen tank, no machine to monitor his vital signs (ecg-pulse oximeter) NADA. Nobody attempted cpr besides myself but the ambulance staff interrupted me, which I obliged assuming that they knew better.
As we arrived at the hospital only 2 people came out, a sleepy chinese volunteer doctor (that looked like a teenager) and a nurse, they brought out a portable ECG and he was already showing a flatline (asystole) they just spoke a second to his wife and the ambulance brought him back home for the funerary rituals, no attempt was made to perform cpr administer Epinephrine or anything else. Just the sleepy doctor said: he is already dead mam. Do you want us to bring him in?
I barely understand khmer but the whole exchange lasted barely a few seconds.
What shocked me was that the ambulance had no equipment at all and that nobody attempted even basic CPR, seriously how can you run an ambulance business and not have even basic shit? I am moderately confident he could have been saved if they had a defibrillator with them as the guy was in his 50s and very energetic with no previous history of heart failure.
Anyway this happened in kampongcham, some private private ambulance and the largest hospital in town which is supposed to be not bad.
jackrossi
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Re: Friend just passed away, I realized in Cambodia ambulances have no oxygen or defibrillators onboard.

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunately in Cambodia, public (and most "private") "Ambulances" are merely modes of casualty transportation, and the "Paramedics" are drivers and casualty lifters.

The only equipped ambulances with paramedics that I have seen in Cambodia, belong to Royal PP Hospital.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real

Re: Friend just passed away, I realized in Cambodia ambulances have no oxygen or defibrillators onboard.

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm

PSD_Kiwi wrote:Sorry to hear of your loss.

Unfortunately in Cambodia, public (and most "private") "Ambulances" are merely modes of casualty transportation, and the "Paramedics" are drivers and casualty lifters.

The only equipped ambulances with paramedics that I have seen in Cambodia, belong to Royal PP Hospital.

Sorry to hear of the loss, too. I've seen it happen too many times, right in front of me.

PSD, that is not a true statement. All their ambulances are not equipped and it depends on where they are going ... I think.
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby Gin&Tonic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Who would've thought the health system in a third world country would be subpar?
Gin&Tonic
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby saulkc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:57 pm

jackrossi wrote:When he entered the ambulance he still had a pulse and I measured myself what were normal blood pressure numbers and what was likely a fibrillating heart.

How did you check his blood pressure?
saulkc
I've got nothing better to do

Postby epidemiks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:05 pm

Sorry to hear.

I've see two ambulances in kampong cham town today, both looked new, large and professional, but neither was in a hurry, despite their lights and sirens. The oblivious drivers blocking their way also didn't appear to be very concerned about letting it pass by.

I always though ambulances here were owned an operated by the individual hospitals.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby jackrossi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:28 pm

saulkc wrote:
jackrossi wrote:When he entered the ambulance he still had a pulse and I measured myself what were normal blood pressure numbers and what was likely a fibrillating heart.

How did you check his blood pressure?

With one of this blood pressure machines https://gd.image-gmkt.com/OMRON-AUTOMAT ... g.jpg.webp
jackrossi

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:46 pm

batshitcrazyweirdo wrote:

Sorry to hear of the loss, too. I've seen it happen too many times, right in front of me.

PSD, that is not a true statement. All their ambulances are not equipped and it depends on where they are going ... I think.

I never said ALL of their ambulances. I have had the chance to inspect some of their ambulances, only a couple of which were equipped as an actual ambulance, albeit with the bare essentials only...nowhere near what a "real" ambulance would carry.
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real

Postby batshitcrazyweirdo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:20 pm

PSD_Kiwi wrote:
batshitcrazyweirdo wrote:

I never said ALL of their ambulances. I have had the chance to inspect some of their ambulances, only a couple of which were equipped as an actual ambulance, albeit with the bare essentials only...nowhere near what a "real" ambulance would carry.

No need to get upset. I just don't want people calling RPPH to get an ambulance that is not equipped.
I love bitches, n rehabilitate witches.
batshitcrazyweirdo
Batshit Crazy Weirdo

Postby gavinmac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't think he was getting upset.

Imagine if someone posted "I saw some monkeys in a red pickup truck yesterday" and someone else replied "That's not true, not all red pickup trucks carry monkeys."

Your post was moronic.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby crazyjohn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Sorry about your mate but why were you surprised at thd level of service? Imagine what poor Cambodians go through...
crazyjohn
I've got internet at work

Postby gavinmac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 pm

jackrossi wrote:I am moderately confident he could have been saved if they had a defibrillator with them as the guy was in his 50s and very energetic with no previous history of heart failure.

Was he 57?
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby jackrossi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 pm

crazyjohn wrote:Sorry about your mate but why were you surprised at thd level of service? Imagine what poor Cambodians go through...

I thought that since the the government got new ambulances from China not long ago which (at least on the outside) looked quite standard I expected private companies to field something better. I have seen a couple nice modern ambulances going around PP in KC I expected something that had least had the bare necessities. a cheape defibrillator costs 3k an used oxigen tank few hundred dollars, Epinephrine injections a couple of dollars each, other emergency injectables are a few hundred dollars for a full set. teaching your staff basic CPR just takes a a few days. Going on the cheap you can make a decent set of items for 6k- 7k compared to the cost of the ambulance that very little.
jackrossi

Postby Jep » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 pm

gavinmac wrote:
jackrossi wrote:I am moderately confident he could have been saved if they had a defibrillator with them as the guy was in his 50s and very energetic with no previous history of heart failure.

Was he 57?

Very good Gav. you are credible. you are amazing. 57.4 years young ,jhe was. RIP to the guy.
Last edited by Jep on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jep
K440 Knight Commander

Postby Felgerkarb » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

jackrossi wrote:
crazyjohn wrote:Sorry about your mate but why were you surprised at thd level of service? Imagine what poor Cambodians go through...

I thought that since the the government got new ambulances from China not long ago which (at least on the outside) looked quite standard I expected private companies to field something better. I have seen a couple nice modern ambulances going around PP in KC I expected something that had least had the bare necessities. a cheape defibrillator costs 3k an used oxigen tank few hundred dollars, Epinephrine injections a couple of dollars each, other emergency injectables are a few hundred dollars for a full set. teaching your staff basic CPR just takes a a few days. Going on the cheap you can make a decent set of items for 6k- 7k compared to the cost of the ambulance that very little.

Very sorry for your loss. Most of the ambulances donated were stripped of useful gear almost immediately....EMS here is about zero with little chance of that changing anytime soon. Billions spent on condo towers...but no EMS or Fire that can deal with a modern city. Brilliant.
====================
Why are the gods such vicious cunts?
Where is the god of tits and wine?
Felgerkarb
Sir Felgerkarb, Kt Pb

Location: Castle Felgerkarb, Felgerkarbia (Formerly Preah Vihear)

Next

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy