Still births in Cambodia

This is a free speech zone where you can discuss and debate everything Cambodia related. Cambodia Speakeasy is Cambodia's leading expat discussion forum.

Still births in Cambodia

Postby Bong Burgundy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Sad story from one of my staff today after the holiday. She was around 8 months pregnant, and, not entirely sure of the details, but the baby died inside here, which is really rough.

Exactly the same thing happened to another staff about 4 or 5 months ago. It's not something I remember coming across anywhere else, although I know it happens. Is this a common thing in Cambodia, or were they just unlucky. There have been a total of 3 pregnancies in the couple of years I've been here, and 2 of them ended up this way.

Pretty dark, either way.
Bringing the news a few hours or days before the other channel, or a few minutes after. You stay classy, nah, Cambodia.
Bong Burgundy
I have some social problems

Re: Still births in Cambodia

Postby Mèo Đen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Stillbirths was a major issue and although still of concern Cambodia has achieved major progress in this area, and in maternal and child health more generally:

Big strides in Kingdom's stillbirth rate, Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon | Publication date 19 January 2016

Cambodia’s stillbirth rate was nearly halved in the past 15 years, one of the fastest rates of improvement in the world, according to new global data published today as part of a series of papers in The Lancet journal.

The Kingdom still ranks 101 among 195 countries surveyed, with a stillbirth rate of 11.9 deaths per 1,000 births in 2015 – with a stillbirth being defined by the WHO as foetal deaths in pregnancies lasting seven or more months.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/big-strides-kingdoms-stillbirth-rate

Comparison, 2009 report here http://www.who.int/pmnch/media/news/2011/stillbirths_countryrates.pdf

Cambodia has made great strides in reducing maternal mortality, reducing it by %84 in 25 years. A declining maternal mortality rate, which was once amongst the highest in the world, has gained the kingdom’s midwives much respect in communities. But with the rate still higher than the regional average, authorities say the work cannot stop here, writes Rina Chandran. October 24, 2017

The Southeast Asian nation is one of only nine countries to have achieved the UN’s Millennium Development Goal to cut maternal death by at least 75 percent by 2015, having lowered its ratio by 84 percent between 1990 and 2015.

In 2005 Cambodia had a maternal mortality ratio of 472 deaths to every 100,000 live births, but by 2010 this had more than halved to 206 and is now 161, according to UN data.

This improvement came as Cambodia made more progress than about 60 other developing countries over
a 10-year period in increasing the poor’s access to skilled birth attendants, according to data from the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5087462/cambodian-midwives-battle-maternal-deaths/
Mèo Đen
I Can Haz Catz ?

Postby v12 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Bong Burgundy wrote:Sad story from one of my staff today after the holiday. She was around 8 months pregnant, and, not entirely sure of the details, but the baby died inside here, which is really rough.

Exactly the same thing happened to another staff about 4 or 5 months ago. It's not something I remember coming across anywhere else, although I know it happens. Is this a common thing in Cambodia, or were they just unlucky. There have been a total of 3 pregnancies in the couple of years I've been here, and 2 of them ended up this way.

Pretty dark, either way.

My sympathy on this situation.

Although I certainly do not want to suggest the following applies for this situation, though in my family I do see quite some unhealthy behaviour of the pregnant women.

Things like drinking alcohol (a lot), unhealthy eating, work with hazardous substances, heavy lifting, sitting on a motobike driving rough roads, etc. The survival of the foetus is a statistical process, where the consequences of unhealthy behaviour is invisible, unless carefully registered at the detailed level.

Most Cambodians are simply not aware of the bad for the foetus behaviour they do.

Further consequences of the dangerous behaviour can be the "nuisances" like ADHD, Dyslexia, retards, general behaviour problems, physical birth-defects, etc.
v12
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby jackrossi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Driving a Moto on bad roads while 7+months pregnant to go to work is a possible reason for the common placenta detachments.
jackrossi
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby logos » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Further consequences of the dangerous behaviour can be the "nuisances" like ADHD, Dyslexia, retards, general behaviour problems, physical birth-defects, etc.

Wow. Most Cambodia expats must have had a rough time while their mothers were pregnant.
logos
WankPoodle

Postby Lucky Lucan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm

v12 wrote:Although I certainly do not want to suggest the following applies for this situation, though in my family I do see quite some unhealthy behaviour of the pregnant women.

Things like drinking alcohol (a lot).....

How common is that? I've never noticed much drinking among the Cambodian women I know. They might have a few Spritzers at a party but wouldn't drink regularly. My son's mother didn't drink anything at all while pregnant. She did prepare some rice-wine with herbs/ roots potion that took days to make - but didn't drink it till after the birth.
Romantic Cambodia is dead and gone. It's with McKinley in the grave.
Lucky Lucan
K440 Knight Captain

Postby jackrossi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Regarding women drinking I either met women which didn't drink at all or almost never, or women who get totally drunk more often than an Irish brewery worker.
(Often on rice wine)
jackrossi
I Have Not Been Outside in a Week

Postby ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Lucky Lucan wrote:
v12 wrote:Although I certainly do not want to suggest the following applies for this situation, though in my family I do see quite some unhealthy behaviour of the pregnant women.

Things like drinking alcohol (a lot).....

How common is that? I've never noticed much drinking among the Cambodian women I know. They might have a few Spritzers at a party but wouldn't drink regularly. My son's mother didn't drink anything at all while pregnant. She did prepare some rice-wine with herbs/ roots potion that took days to make - but didn't drink it till after the birth.

Yeah, I see the same.
I reckon about 40% of Khmer females I know don’t drink at all, about another 40% would drink occasionally and not to excess. And the remainder would drink regularly - but only a very few would get close to pissed.
ផោមក្លិនស្អុយ
A Moment of Clarity

Postby v12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:37 am

Khmer women drinking: Yes, some don't drink at all, some only seldom and some drink like the husband.

I once explained to a pregnant sister-in-law, while she was lurking on a beer, that in my country, people conclude about the pregnancy status, when "she" stops drinking alcohol, because drinking is very bad for the baby. Fortunately she listened and she stopped drinking alcohol, though unfortunately stopping happened only late in the pregnancy.The foetus is most vulnerable in roughly the first 4 months :(

The little one does have some behaviour problems.

The mother of my Dyslexia boy did drink heavily during the pregnancy :(
ADHD, hyperactive, dyslexia, coordination issues, memory problems and some more difficult things :(
Fortunately, despite all these items, a very nice boy.
v12
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Return to Cambodia Speakeasy