Debit cards for online payments?

Love it or loathe it, we all need it. This is a forum to discuss all aspects of money matters in Cambodia including banks, exchange rates, ATMs, insurance policies and savings products.

Debit cards for online payments?

Postby spitthedog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 am

How safe are they for online payments compared to credit cards?

My bank requires confirmation through email that it's you using the debit card with a security check?

But the general concensus on the web is noy to use them for anything other than ATM's.
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
User avatar
spitthedog
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !
 
Posts: 4252
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby epidemiks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:19 am

I mainly use debit cards online. Never had an issue, but I don't leave much in the account connected to the card and transfer from non card connected accounts if it needs a top up.

ABA's app has virtual debit cards, which you can assign a limit to. Quite handy.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby Blodwyn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am

epidemiks wrote:I mainly use debit cards online. Never had an issue, but I don't leave much in the account connected to the card and transfer from non card connected accounts if it needs a top up.

ABA's app has virtual debit cards, which you can assign a limit to. Quite handy.


Does the card come as standard issue? Where's the best place (easiest) in Phnom Penh to open an account?
Thanks
Blodwyn
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby epidemiks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Blodwyn wrote:
epidemiks wrote:I mainly use debit cards online. Never had an issue, but I don't leave much in the account connected to the card and transfer from non card connected accounts if it needs a top up.

ABA's app has virtual debit cards, which you can assign a limit to. Quite handy.


Does the card come as standard issue? Where's the best place (easiest) in Phnom Penh to open an account?
Thanks


I think there's a $10 block on the account to get the standard physical card or maybe that's juts the minimum balance they block, but it comes with any standard account. Any ABA branch should be able to open an account. You can do the application online and give them the reference number when you visit the branch.
User avatar
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life
 
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:07 pm

epidemiks wrote:I mainly use debit cards online. Never had an issue, but I don't leave much in the account connected to the card and transfer from non card connected accounts if it needs a top up.

ABA's app has virtual debit cards, which you can assign a limit to. Quite handy.


^ This, both :thumbsup:
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
User avatar
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real
 
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 am

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby spitthedog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Cheers people.

Can you block most UK bank debit cards from being used , except in ATMs (through online banking)?
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
User avatar
spitthedog
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !
 
Posts: 4252
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:19 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby Blodwyn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:24 pm

epidemiks wrote:
Blodwyn wrote:
epidemiks wrote:I mainly use debit cards online. Never had an issue, but I don't leave much in the account connected to the card and transfer from non card connected accounts if it needs a top up.

ABA's app has virtual debit cards, which you can assign a limit to. Quite handy.


Does the card come as standard issue? Where's the best place (easiest) in Phnom Penh to open an account?
Thanks


I think there's a $10 block on the account to get the standard physical card or maybe that's juts the minimum balance they block, but it comes with any standard account. Any ABA branch should be able to open an account. You can do the application online and give them the reference number when you visit the branch.


Thanks. Do you know if they offer the debit card on the savings account?

EDIT. Well the online app was simple enough. It has radio buttons to select whether you want online banking, debit card etc. So that's answered that question. It doesn't say anything about supporting docs?
Cheers again.
Last edited by Blodwyn on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blodwyn
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby PSD_Kiwi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Blodwyn wrote:Thanks. Do you know if they offer the debit card on the savings account?


Yes...you can choose from Visa, Mastercard or Union Pay International (UPI) Debit cards.

Also, you can just go to their website to find out all of this information, they even have a live web chat where you can ask a real live person questions...

ababank.com
A lot of people like to fool you and say that you’re not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That’s what I learned from selling crack. -Snoop Dogg
User avatar
PSD_Kiwi
Internet Addiction: it is real
 
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 am

Re: Debit cards for online payments?

Postby Blodwyn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:08 pm

PSD_Kiwi wrote:
Blodwyn wrote:Thanks. Do you know if they offer the debit card on the savings account?


Yes...you can choose from Visa, Mastercard or Union Pay International (UPI) Debit cards.

Also, you can just go to their website to find out all of this information, they even have a live web chat where you can ask a real live person questions...

ababank.com


I just opened an account online. Well, I'll see on Tuesday when I go in with the number it generates and my passport. Thanks for your help.
Blodwyn
5 minutes to kill
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm


Return to Money, Banking and Insurance




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests