• Advertisement
Giant Ibis

Is it possible to travel from Nepal to Iran solo?

The room to discuss all aspects of travel in Cambodia be it simple questions in regards visas or exchanging ideas as to the best jungle paths for your next off-road trip.

Is it possible to travel from Nepal to Iran solo?

Postby spitthedog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Say one entered into Nepal via India overland and from there wanted to travel to Iran via the Borat stan countries. You know, the little stans. The ones that you never hear about being dangerous or housing Osama Bin. The corridor to Europe stans. The ones that i cant spell without googling.

Pakistan is not an option for people who dont want to travel with security right?? Indians keep telling me to avoid Pakistan as it's full of terrorists.

Public transport ok if required.

Cheers
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Re: Is it possible to travel from Nepal to Iran solo?

Postby LaudJohn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 pm

I went by land from Turkey to Nepal through Iran and Pakistan and India by public transport in 1988. There was a war on between Iran and Iraq. We had to cross from Pakistan to India in a convoy through parts of India that were almost in civil war and Pakistan and India were almost at war.

But that was before the internet and the days when people in their 20s were precious snowflakes.
Note to self: Must be nice to morons.
LaudJohn
Feminist Watch List

Postby gavinmac » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

spitthedog wrote:Say one entered into Nepal via India overland and from there wanted to travel to Iran via the Borat stan countries. You know, the little stans. The ones that you never hear about being dangerous or housing Osama Bin. The corridor to Europe stans. The ones that i cant spell without googling.

Pakistan is not an option for people who dont want to travel with security right?? Indians keep telling me to avoid Pakistan as it's full of terrorists.

Public transport ok if required.

Cheers

Depending on your country of citizenship, visas to visit Iran and Pakistan and Turkmenistan as an independent tourist may be hard to obtain. You should definitely go to Uzbekistan and in particular, Samarkand.
Follow my lame Twitter feed: @gavin_mac
gavinmac
Making Khmer girls cry since 2003

Postby spitthedog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:37 am

What about overlanding it from Nepal , then through Tibet or China, then on to the Little Stans.
I'm at my best in a pitch black room, hold on tight baby you'll feel the power soon.
spitthedog

Postby horace » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 am

Correct me if I am wrong but you are from the UK, aren't you? A visa for Iran is possible but quite hard to get for citizens of the UK and USA.
Other cyclists I have met on the road also say it is very difficult to cross the Chinese and Stans borders something about them not liking each other and also the problem with Urqers or whatever they are called. Mongolia China no problem.
k440, something to do when you're pissed.
horace
Penitus In Meus Brain , Universitas Tune

Postby horace » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:27 am

You must be getting super fit now if you are thinking of cycling the Stans n Nepal with all those mountains. I remember you bitching about the hills in southern Vietnam not so long ago! How far are you gonna go?
horace

Postby TurnTheCrank » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:16 pm

It's easy man. Good luck coming back.
ACCOUNT DELETED
TurnTheCrank
5 minutes to kill

Postby over the rainbow » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 pm

LaudJohn wrote:I went by land from Turkey to Nepal through Iran and Pakistan and India by public transport in 1988. There was a war on between Iran and Iraq. We had to cross from Pakistan to India in a convoy through parts of India that were almost in civil war and Pakistan and India were almost at war.

But that was before the internet and the days when people in their 20s were precious snowflakes.

LOL:
I did it in 1975 an than worked for magic bus for a year..Amsterdam-Kathmandu. was a hell of a trip.
Iran and Afghanistan were fantastic countries for a tourist back than...

Read the first yellow bible to see how cheap it was....written in 73
its still free, https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Ac ... B00BG37DCS

Cycling Nepal over the top of the world to Lhasa ( although easier the reverse) was gas.....Think u can still do it with the right permits...
over the rainbow
I live above an internet cafe

Postby flanostu » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Did the Irkeshtam border crossing from China into Kyrgyzstan abut 3yrs ago. Walked, trucked & hitchhiked towards the crossing, no issues whatsoever. Just be aware that the Chinese have quite a few checkpoints if going via that route.

No issues getting into Tajikistan or Iran but I flew to those places on seperate occasions.

Want to do a Syria trip but that will have to be a border crossing which is my preferred entry anyway. Of course I'll be flagged but stuff it.
It's never too late to be nice, unless you die.
flanostu
I've got internet at work

Postby spitthedog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 pm

horace wrote:You must be getting super fit now if you are thinking of cycling the Stans n Nepal with all those mountains. I remember you bitching about the hills in southern Vietnam not so long ago! How far are you gonna go?

That was the central highlands in Vietnam. Past Dong Xoai to Bo Y border. The other side of Bo Y border in Laos was also steep climbing.

Dude, forgive me for asking this but are you on the road for real like Mr & Mrs Spit ?

Are you in The Penh now?
spitthedog

Postby horace » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Alone and with no cuddly teddy bear at night.
You have no idea what steep is until you cycle Sumatra n Java.
40k already around SE Asia
Fly to Colombia on Tuesday.
Keep posting yer tales as I will be coming back that way.
Cheers
horace

Postby horace » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:57 pm

PS , no pissing contest here.
I am truly interested in your travels.
horace

Postby Wayward Woods » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:57 am

LaudJohn wrote:I went by land from Turkey to Nepal through Iran and Pakistan and India by public transport in 1988. There was a war on between Iran and Iraq. We had to cross from Pakistan to India in a convoy through parts of India that were almost in civil war and Pakistan and India were almost at war.

What a badass.

It's too bad your generation then fucked things up in Iran, Afghanistan, Iraq and other places so badly that guys in their 20's can't do the same route. And before you call me snowflake, there's no way in hell that you would backpack through Waziristan nowadays, gps sat phone or not.
Scobienz 3.0
Wayward Woods
I live above an internet cafe

Postby McPhisto » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 pm

over the rainbow wrote:

LOL:
I did it in 1975 an than worked for magic bus for a year..Amsterdam-Kathmandu. was a hell of a trip.
Iran and Afghanistan were fantastic countries for a tourist back than...

Read the first yellow bible to see how cheap it was....written in 73
its still free, https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Ac ... B00BG37DCS

Cycling Nepal over the top of the world to Lhasa ( although easier the reverse) was gas.....Think u can still do it with the right permits...

Thank God phuketrichard is here to give travel advice only 40-plus years out of date.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Rock 'n' Roll should change your life - and not necessarily for the better"
McPhisto
My Best Friend is my Computer

Postby spitthedog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 am

horace wrote:Alone and with no cuddly teddy bear at night.
You have no idea what steep is until you cycle Sumatra n Java.
40k already around SE Asia
Fly to Colombia on Tuesday.
Keep posting yer tales as I will be coming back that way.
Cheers

Colombia? Isn't it like full of kidnappers, drug dealers and ladies with big boobies?

Think i might be having a rethink about cycling across India.

They drive like chimps on crack in Cambodia, but here there's a shit load more chimps. Overtaking on blind bends seems the norm, aswell as motorbikes, cars and tuk tuks coming at you down the wrong way, usually smiling obliviously. Its like an assault on the senses when you are travelling with your girlfriend. Had a tuktuk door fly open on her by the side of the road as a truck was passing yesterday.

Plus its so populated that i'm not sure its gonna be as scenic as Laos etc.

Our little trip might end for now in Kolkata i think.

41k already in Asia i think. :P
spitthedog

Next

Return to Travel