Upcomming Birth - Probable C section

It's a common complaint; health and healthcare in Cambodia is basic at best. Here is the forum to share information about doctors, hospitals, dentists and all other health-related issues, and for Dagenham to nag us about healthy breakfasts.

Upcomming Birth - Probable C section

Postby just someone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Wife's medical history suggests that we need to make plans for a probable C-Section.
Can any parent in Cambodia that has had a birth by C-Section recommend a hospital.

Thanks.
just someone
440 newbie - handle with care

Re: Upcomming Birth - Probable C section

Postby Spigzy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:34 pm

I'd heavily recommend natural birth if at all possible due to all the health benefits the baby would get from that process; assuming the missus isn't "too posh to push" or receiving shitty advice from all her Khmer medical friends & "experts", then I'd actually say your best bet is Calmette. Yep, Calmette.

You can certainly pay for a very nice room at Royal Phnom Penh, or the more usually locally recommended "Central" Hospital (just south of Phsar Thmey), but Calmette has all the emergency equipment required for troublesome deliveries, and I believe there have been cases of such difficult births being shipped from Royal PP at least to Calmette last minute. The maternity staff at Central are reputedly the same as those working Calmette, locals swear by them from my observation - I thought the place was a shit-hole; basically a failed condo converted into a hospital.

The answer is much the same as back home when choosing private or going NHS - you can pay top dollar & get effectively a hotel stay in a private room, but if the shit is hitting the fan, they'll lob you in an ambulance to an NHS hospital without hesitation and send you the bill anyway.

My wife gave birth naturally with Dr. Mumu (a justified "Ancient" woman from Myanmar) at what used to be Royal Ratanak (now Royal PP); faultless and recommended. But if as you say there is a hint of complication, I honestly would have Calmette on speed-dial ... or as others are likely to chime in, if convinced there would be a difficult delivery, do it in Bangkok or other.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Hoff FanBoy

Postby Barang_doa_slae » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am

Been there done that. BS until western doctor says so.
Time has come for a private ballers sub forum
Barang_doa_slae
Runcible Chap

Postby Marinaris » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:32 am

Khmer will always recommend C section because they can charge you more.

Best is to go different places to see if diagnosis differ. (Chetra, Central, Calmette, Royal or whatever)
Marinaris
I've got internet at work

Postby just someone » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:23 pm

No one is recommending a C-Section at this stage,
However her medical history suggests that we should make plans to deal with this situation should it arise,
Hence I am looking for suggestions so I can investigate them in advance.

Thanks for the leads, I will follow them up.
just someone
440 newbie - handle with care

Postby epidemiks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm

We had a good natural birth experience at Khema on 294 with Dr. Maryann. No pressure to do a c section throughout, unlike several places who were pushing it the moment we walked in the door when we were deciding on where to go. Towards the end she warned a c section may be needed due to low amniotic fluid. Wasn't necessary in the end.
epidemiks
I Love 440 More Than Real Life

Postby FatherTime » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61631

Page three has my experience in Bangkok with inducing my wife for a natural birth and then an emergency c section - page four has excellent feedback from twiceayear about his experience in Cambodia.
FatherTime
I've got nothing better to do

Return to Health and fitness