• Advertisement
Giant Ibis

Most interesting rural spot in Cambodia

The room to discuss all aspects of travel in Cambodia be it simple questions in regards visas or exchanging ideas as to the best jungle paths for your next off-road trip.

Most interesting rural spot in Cambodia

Postby vladimir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

OK, so which spot would you choose that's reasonably comfortable in rural Cambodia, and infrequently cited in tourist literature?

Details? Costs? How to get there?

I'm trying to avoid the traditionally most-visited areas, ie Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville.

Tell us about Mondulkiri, Rattanakiri, areas close to the Thai border, east of Preah Vihea, etc. please
“A nation is jolted by a revealing dress at a festival but is not infuriated by a million children sleeping rough and scavenging in trash bins for food,” Egyptian opinion writer Khaled Montaser
vladimir
Feminist Watch List

Re: Most interesting rural spot in Cambodia

Postby the_purple_turtle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:22 am

O Saum in Pursat, high up in the cardamoms. Seasonal access for the masses, but year round for a dirt bike enthusiast. Wild, windswept, picturesque. You can be in battambang or koh Kong in less than a day.
No Starbucks any time soon. Image
the_purple_turtle
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby Miguelito » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:02 am

There’s been a large uptick in tourism in the Northeast (Mondulkiri/Ratanakiri) over the past year.

The last three provinces I have to visit are Banteay Meanchey, Oddar Meanchey, and Preah Vihear. So that’s probably a good place to start, as it’s off the beaten path but still easily accessible from Siem Reap, with some interesting stuff around (temples, Kulen mtn).
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby over the rainbow » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

the_purple_turtle wrote:O Saum in Pursat, high up in the c
ardamoms. Seasonal access for the masses, but year round for a dirt bike enthusiast. Wild, windswept, picturesque. You can be in battambang or koh Kong in less than a day.

any idea price of land ON the river?
How far (KMS) to KK?
over the rainbow
I've got internet at work

Postby the_purple_turtle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

over the rainbow wrote:
the_purple_turtle wrote:O Saum in Pursat, high up in the c
ardamoms. Seasonal access for the masses, but year round for a dirt bike enthusiast. Wild, windswept, picturesque. You can be in battambang or koh Kong in less than a day.

any idea price of land ON the river?
How far (KMS) to KK?
I've got no idea about land prices.
The village is situated on a huge lake.
It's maybe 120km to KK. I did it on a bicycle (3 days BTB to KK) and there were some strenuous climbs on the 3rd day. There were some Chinese tourists that came for lunch on a 4x4 tour, but even that would be pretty arduous. It's remote, you can be sure of that.
the_purple_turtle

Postby LexusSchmexus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:50 am

I don't think it's remote at all. There are tons of "eco" homestays there now, used to be just a big dusty truck stop before they built the bridge a few years back. Now it's mostly plantations extending way beyond what I think is legally allowed.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby the_purple_turtle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm

LexusSchmexus wrote:I don't think it's remote at all. There are tons of "eco" homestays there now, used to be just a big dusty truck stop before they built the bridge a few years back. Now it's mostly plantations extending way beyond what I think is legally allowed.
Maybe not then.
I'd left and was cycling towards KK. Probably about 20 or 30km into the day, near the first Chinese dam you pass. I found a motorcyclist with a smashed leg that had just been hit by a car on a blind bend. The car hadn't stopped. He was in agony and a long way from any help. I remember feeling like it was a pretty remote spot.

Maybe the roads are better now. Image
the_purple_turtle

Postby LexusSchmexus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 pm

They're still had in the rainy season for sure. I go every year and things get washed away every time, though I heard they're building a new road (through the old track). Don't ever me wrong, it's a decent area, but not much to do or see imo.
LexusSchmexus

Postby Miguelito » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 am

LexusSchmexus wrote:I go every year .... Don't ever me wrong, it's a decent area, but not much to do or see imo.

So why go every year?
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby LexusSchmexus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm

I usually go straight through it, rarely stay there. It's the only way to go from Battambang/Pursat/Kravanh to Koh Kong and as mentioned, was a great dirtbiking road back in the day. Now it's mostly laterite so of little interest to me, but tours still take customers through there and sometimes you're forced to go through (unless you want a huge detour).

There are a few secluded spots which I still love to go to, but I don't want to reveal them on an open forum. I know it's childish, egotistical and sounds rather self-absorbed, but there are relatively few pristine areas left, so some places are best kept as semi-secrets. International tourists are bad enough, but often local tourists are worse. The best way to discover places like that are to be a bit adventurous and go out there on your own for a few weeks on two wheels. There's all kinds interesting stuff out there: waterfalls where you're the only one there all day as only "immediate" locals know about them (no Khmer tourists taking selfies and littering everywhere), old KR bunkers carved in mountainsides, idyllic villages... You won't find any of it in tour books though, nor will you be able to find accommodation on booking.com
LexusSchmexus

Return to Travel