Do you do anything for Valentine's Day for your Missus?

Here is the place to post any simple or complex questions you may have about any aspect of life in Cambodia and beyond without fear of being told 'That question has been asked 100 times before.'

Do you do anything for Valentine's Day for your Missus?

Postby Pecahead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 am

Do you treat Feb 14th with the scorn that a Hallmark Holiday truly deserves while living in Cambodia, or does your Khmer songsaa expect you to do more than just buying a bouquet of flowers?

According to the article from the WaPo a few years ago, many local take it seriously.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 2acaf809ea
Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Pecahead
I have some social problems

Re: Do you do anything for Valentine's Day for your Missus?

Postby GMJS-440 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 am

One thing I never do is go out to eat on valentines day. Go out the weekend before instead.
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach English."
Credit Jacked Camry & LTO
GMJS-440
A Moment of Clarity

Postby Hanno » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 am

Artificial holiday..
"I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes."

Charles Lindbergh
Hanno
The Internet is my Only Friend

Postby pedros » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

Waiting for the traditional "Virginity/rape day" story to be wheeled out by some western paper, as it is every year.
Under threat of legal action
pedros
Meus Mens est 440

Postby Kachang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 am

Pecahead wrote:Do you treat Feb 14th with the scorn that a Hallmark Holiday truly deserves while living in Cambodia, or does your Khmer songsaa expect you to do more than just buying a bouquet of flowers?

According to the article from the WaPo a few years ago, many local take it seriously.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 2acaf809ea

Expectations in general: gold.
Kachang
Wibble Wibble ?!?

Postby yg11 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:33 am

Christmas, New Year, Chinese Ney Year, Valentine's day, International women's day, etc. Too many for me.
yg11
5 minutes to kill

Postby Miguelito » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 am

I think that they take it very seriously (serious may be the wrong word, but you get the idea). Traffic will be an absolute mess around town that night, and flower shops will pop up everywhere.

I completely agree that it's an over hyped, commercial holiday, but that doesn't change the reality of what it's become. I even have someone flying into town for meeting this week, and he wanted to come Thur-Friday, but we were told that it's a bad idea as no one would be able to join us for dinner Thursday night, so he better come Wed-Thursday instead.

GMJS-440 wrote:One thing I never do is go out to eat on valentines day.

Exactly. A nice cooked meal at home with a bottle of champagne - much better value and more special.
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Postby slavedog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am

It's been our habit for many years now to go out for a nice quiet meal a day or two before or after the 14th. It's much more enjoyable, the restaurants are not busy, no tacky crap all over the place and no traffic jams caused by spotty kids driving around all night with six-foot teddy bears on their Scoopys.
slavedog
2000+ Posts! Aghh I Have No Mates

Postby ricecakes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am

Our wedding anniversary is 3rd Feb so.....no.
I also made it very clear when is started to rear it's ugly head in Cambodia that I think its the biggest bunch of bullshit ever.

As Kachang says......GOLD GOLD GOLD

Just give it to the missus for wedding anniversaries , birthdays and xmas and you will be sweet as pie.
Rated R for Ricecakes
ricecakes
I Fap to 440

Postby Playboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

pedros wrote:Waiting for the traditional "Virginity/rape day" story to be wheeled out by some western paper, as it is every year.
Indeed.

They fail to realise that times have changed and that there are Khmer 'good' girls getting their furrows ploughed daily, not just on the traditional 'If You Loved Me Day'.
"We, the sons of John Company, have arrived"
Playboy
Play[ing hard to get]boy

Postby Stokely » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 am

You unromantic bastards.......

At least you can take some comfort in the fact that an anagram of Valentine’s Day, is “a nasty evil end”.
“If a white man wants to lynch me, that's his problem. If he's got the power to lynch me, that's my problem".
Stokely
5 minutes to kill

Postby LexusSchmexus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

Never done anything. As mentioned, it's a lame holiday.
LexusSchmexus
Damn, I just saw my Internet Bill !

Postby newnewnewbie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I used to go to Walkabout for Valentines Day, but no more.
newnewnewbie
I live above an internet cafe

Postby Miguelito » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Playboy wrote:
pedros wrote:Waiting for the traditional "Virginity/rape day" story to be wheeled out by some western paper, as it is every year.
Indeed.

They fail to realise that times have changed and that there are Khmer 'good' girls getting their furrows ploughed daily, not just on the traditional 'If You Loved Me Day'.

Well that didn't take long... but it wasn't a "Western" paper...

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport has issued guidance to all public and private learning institutions to teach students the true meaning of Valentine’s Day, an outside cultural event relatively new to Cambodia.

The guidance issued on Thursday says the ministry had observed in the past that some students incorrectly linked Valentine’s Day with sex rather than love and encouraged educational institutions to set up positive initiatives in the community.

The ministry’s guidance added that public and private educational institutions must adhere to internal regulations on moral discipline by closely monitoring students’ attendance.

“The event is not a traditional Cambodian holiday, but over past years it has started to have more influence on Cambodia’s youth, with some losing their self-respect and [adherence to] Cambodia’s culture and well-preserved traditions,” the guidance reads.

All public and private educational institutions must therefore advise and inform students as to the real meaning of Valentine’s Day.

‘Future in their hands’

The ministry’s guidance urged public and private institutions to encourage their students to follow the “Friend Helps Friend” policy and work with parents and the wider community to prevent immoral activities.

Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha told The Post on Sunday that students should consider Valentine’s as just another day and come to school as normal. If possible, they should find work helping their communities to gain positive benefits for themselves and others

Ministry issues Valentine’s caution - Phnom Penh Post
Miguelito
HeadClownInCharge

Return to Questions and Answers