Page 1 of 3

Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm
by black69wolf69
Since the Chinese invaded Sihanoukville and turned into a low budget shabby version of Macau that can only be described as "Chinanoukville" I have heard stories of westerners and other foreigners being barred access to Chinese casinos for no other reason than those Chinese don't like westerners. In other words, because they're racists. Then again why would anyone want to go into those smoke filled dens full of sunflower seed spitting Chinese farmers gambling away their life savings?

They're also picking fights with local Cambodians. The place is a fucking mess. I know this is not really "news" to a lot of you who already know this, but can anyone who has been there describe the situation there nowadays?

From what I've heard/read, it's not somewhere any respectable westerner would go to anymore as it's full of trash and everything is Chinese owned now. Even the locals have moved out and so have most of the non-Chinese expats.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
by scobienz
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm




From what I've heard/read, it's not somewhere any respectable westerner would go to anymore as it's full of trash and everything is Chinese owned now. Even the locals have moved out and so have most of the non-Chinese expats.

So what’s changed? Where once it was full of white trash, now it’s full of Chinese trash. The only difference is that the white trash can no longer afford it.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 pm
by black69wolf69
Dallow Spicer wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm




From what I've heard/read, it's not somewhere any respectable westerner would go to anymore as it's full of trash and everything is Chinese owned now. Even the locals have moved out and so have most of the non-Chinese expats.

So what’s changed? Where once it was full of white trash, now it’s full of Chinese trash. The only difference is that the white trash can no longer afford it.
Chinese trash are cheap and can't really afford anything better either, otherwise they'd all be in Macau or Las Vegas, where one sees more respectable people.

My question was more about the general vibe of the place and if the rumors are true about barang being unwelcome in some of the more dingier casinos (not all of them refuse barang, I hear the Singaporean one, one of the few non-Chinese owned ones is fine, but that's probably because it's Singaporean owned). A thread over on thai visa suggests exactly this - barang unwelcome in some Sihanoukville casinos. The western press hints at the same - an Australian reporter went to a Chinese owned casino last year and felt every Chinaman in there was staring at him. Even more bizarrely, he actually expected them to understand English.

Even now Sihanoukville is hardly an expensive place for your average barang tourist. Except if you're a backpacker. I think the exodus has more to do with not wanting to encounter China on a Cambodia visit, all the beach bars closing, the general trash and chaos of the place, the increase in crime, the Cambodians moving out and being replaced by Chinese etc.

From what I've seen, barang are perfectly happy to spend a few bucks in places largely devoid of Chinese criminals and cheap charlies like for example, some of the smaller, quieter beach resort areas of Thailand, Phu Quoc or Mui Ne in Vietnam (although the latter is full of Russians).

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:47 pm
by slavedog
Dallow Spicer wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm




From what I've heard/read, it's not somewhere any respectable westerner would go to anymore as it's full of trash and everything is Chinese owned now. Even the locals have moved out and so have most of the non-Chinese expats.
So what’s changed? Where once it was full of white trash, now it’s full of Chinese trash. The only difference is that the white trash can no longer afford it.
That's a silly thing to say. It was never full of white trash, or white people of any kind. Mostly it was locals, working and owning businesses and servicing local people, with a few expats and western tourists thrown in for about four months a year.

Now, according to an official report, 90% of all businesses are Chinese owned.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 pm
by scobienz
Alright. Let me rephrase. Hitherto the foreigners in SHV were white trash. Now the foreigners there are Chinese trash who are pricing the welfare dependent white trash out, and sending them to Kampot.

Either way it was and remains worthy of the name Shitsville.

Better?

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:16 pm
by black69wolf69
slavedog wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:47 pm
Dallow Spicer wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:30 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm




From what I've heard/read, it's not somewhere any respectable westerner would go to anymore as it's full of trash and everything is Chinese owned now. Even the locals have moved out and so have most of the non-Chinese expats.
So what’s changed? Where once it was full of white trash, now it’s full of Chinese trash. The only difference is that the white trash can no longer afford it.
That's a silly thing to say. It was never full of white trash, or white people of any kind. Mostly it was locals, working and owning businesses and servicing local people, with a few expats and western tourists thrown in for about four months a year.

Now, according to an official report, 90% of all businesses are Chinese owned.
Exactly. That's what I've been reading. However, I do understand it used to be relatively popular with western backpackers, not only for 4 months a year, but increasingly year-round. Having visited the place a couple of times starting in 2011 at different times of year I can attest to that - plenty of western faces around whenever I went. But apparently not anymore (which is not surprising).

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:20 pm
by vladimir
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm
Chinese don't like westerners. In other words, because they're racists. Then again why would anyone want to go into those smoke filled dens full of sunflower seed spitting Chinese farmers gambling away their life savings?
Decries racism and immediately follows up with racist comment.

Not good justifying your POV skills.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:21 pm
by black69wolf69
Dallow Spicer wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 pm
Alright. Let me rephrase. Hitherto the foreigners in SHV were white trash. Now the foreigners there are Chinese trash who are pricing the welfare dependent white trash out, and sending them to Kampot.

Either way it was and remains worthy of the name Shitsville.

Better?
I think barang, irrespective of their financial status have left SHK because of the Chinese influx not merely because it's apparently becoming more expensive. No one wants to experience leisurely Cambodia one day then find a cheaper trashier version of Macau appear the next. If one wants to experience China, why not go to live there? I certainly have zero interest in visiting Sihanoukville now, despite being perfectly happy to spend US$100 per night on a hotel room.

Very, very few barang would be comfortable living in a majority Chinese community. It's just a fact - Chinese come in, barang move out. Simple as that. Not to mention how it's impossible to communicate with them if you aren't fluent in their language.

And as I've already pointed out, the Chinese who have replaced them are hardly rich either. They are probably no better off financially than your average welfare dependent barang, just that they're more willing to blow their meager savings on the hope they might strike it rich in a casino.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 pm
by black69wolf69
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:20 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm
Chinese don't like westerners. In other words, because they're racists. Then again why would anyone want to go into those smoke filled dens full of sunflower seed spitting Chinese farmers gambling away their life savings?
Decries racism and immediately follows up with racist comment.

Not good justifying your POV skills.
Buzz off jackass. They are racist and you will find out quite quickly should you decide to venture into their casinos. You'll be kicked out merely for having a big nose and cream colored skin.

I see the world the way it is, not by the flowery progressive way you self-hating liberals have been brainwashed into seeing it.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 pm
by vladimir
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 pm
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:20 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm
Chinese don't like westerners. In other words, because they're racists. Then again why would anyone want to go into those smoke filled dens full of sunflower seed spitting Chinese farmers gambling away their life savings?
Decries racism and immediately follows up with racist comment.

Not good justifying your POV skills.
Buzz off jackass. They are racist and you will find out quite quickly should you decide to venture into their casinos. You'll be kicked out merely for having a big nose and cream colored skin.

I see the world the way it is, not by the flowery progressive way you self-hating liberals have been brainwashed into seeing it.
Wow, now ad hominem and assumptions added to your stellar debating skills.

Show me where I stated - or even implied - that the Chinese are not racist...please.

The point being, that if you decry racism and make racist statements yourself about the target group, it kind of nullifies your fake indignation. :banghead:

Do you understand that?

I can use crayons...

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm
by YaTingPom
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind. Don’t know why he bothered to ask in the first place.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm
by vladimir
YaTingPom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind. Don’t know why he bothered to ask in the first place.
It's a false rhetorical question based on a false premise, which includes ONLY Chinese businesses it seems. The title doesn't indicate a racially-based perspective/situation.

I haven't heard any barangs experiencing problems at Khmer businesses/markets/hotels etc.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:42 pm
by black69wolf69
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 pm
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:20 pm
black69wolf69 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 pm
Chinese don't like westerners. In other words, because they're racists. Then again why would anyone want to go into those smoke filled dens full of sunflower seed spitting Chinese farmers gambling away their life savings?
Decries racism and immediately follows up with racist comment.

Not good justifying your POV skills.
Buzz off jackass. They are racist and you will find out quite quickly should you decide to venture into their casinos. You'll be kicked out merely for having a big nose and cream colored skin.

I see the world the way it is, not by the flowery progressive way you self-hating liberals have been brainwashed into seeing it.
Wow, now ad hominem and assumptions added to your stellar debating skills.

Show me where I stated - or even implied - that the Chinese are not racist...please.

The point being, that if you decry racism and make racist statements yourself about the target group, it kind of nullifies your fake indignation. :banghead:

Do you understand that?

I can use crayons...
Dude, you're a moron. I simply made a factual comment about the gamblers in there being farmers and generally lower quality Chinese (as did another poster). Do you get that? Or has progressivism made you lose the ability to think critically?

You have zero debating skills you're simply a troll who is trying to get on his high horse to say "hey look at me, I'm not racist". Fact is, this is Asia. No one cares about liberalism here.

To the locals and the Chinese, you're still a piece of white trash that is at the bottom of the pecking order. The locals may be too kind to say that to your face, but that's what they think.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm
by black69wolf69
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm
YaTingPom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind. Don’t know why he bothered to ask in the first place.
It's a false rhetorical question based on a false premise, which includes ONLY Chinese businesses it seems. The title doesn't indicate a racially-based perspective/situation.

I haven't heard any barangs experiencing problems at Khmer businesses/markets/hotels etc.
Because they don't!! Do you have any comprehension skills? I never stated that barangs have any problem at Khmer owned businesses because of course, they don't! I pointed out ONLY Chinese owned casinos.

Before the Chinese influx/invasion, barang were perfectly happy in Sihanoukville. Now they're no longer wanted.

Re: Are barang and other non-Chinese foreigners persona non-grata in Chinanoukville (Sihanoukville)?

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm
by YaTingPom
vladimir wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm
YaTingPom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm
Sounds like the OP has already made up his mind. Don’t know why he bothered to ask in the first place.
It's a false rhetorical question based on a false premise, which includes ONLY Chinese businesses it seems. The title doesn't indicate a racially-based perspective/situation.

I haven't heard any barangs experiencing problems at Khmer businesses/markets/hotels etc.
True but then I wouldn’t want to go into a casino owned by anyone anyway!

I know of a few barang who have but they weren’t dressed in flip flops and t shirts and were welcomed and did spend some considerable wad.

I have been in Chinese businesses but that was a year ago.
To be honest I’m not sure why they’d bother to discriminate. It’s not like the 10 remaining barang are even visible. They probably don’t even know they’re even there!