Page 1 of 2

LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:55 pm
by Kennzo
Anyone know where there's an electrical shop for fitting LED lights for motorbikes?

I'd like to replace my speedo and headlight bulbs with an LED version, though I appreciate it may need a change to the fittings as well.

Looking for an auto-electric shop that does this.

Thanks

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 am
by AK87
I tried some instrument panel LEDs for fun. 3500 riel for two I think, seem okay although of course quality is in question. Nice and bright though. Russian market, stall 326-327, lots of "gay" anodized parts too, speaks little English.

There's signal lamp bulbs too but no headlights.

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm
by Kennzo
Will wait to meet up AK.
Unsure on fitting.
Hope your free soon! :-)

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm
by Elekid
Keep in mind that in most cases it's not only a switch of lamps.

These LEDs are diodes, they only consume a very little of current and the voltage drop is very low. In many cases, for instance signal lights, you will have to add some additional electronic stuff (resistors, capacitors,...) to make them work properly.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm
by AK87
^^You referring to HIDs by chance? I haven't had an issue with the signal bulbs in my Cubs in terms of drop in LEDs. There's also a bit of electrical gubbins in the bulb itself to make it a plug and play. I do know what you mean by adding extra stuff for HIDs though. Forgive me, I am half awake, fell asleep at 4 something this morning and woke up at 6 so I may have completely overlooked what you were talking about.

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm
by AK87
Tested these out on an spare instrument panel I have and then stuck them in my bike. No resistors needed, seems to work fine.

Before
Image

After, same shutter setting.
Image

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 am
by ricecakes
I'm after hid kit for an enduro...

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:39 pm
by AK87
AK87 wrote:I tried some instrument panel LEDs for fun. 3500 riel for two I think....
Made a mistake on the price. It was 3500 for ONE bulb. I bought 20 sets of them and got that price but buying two or four for example at a time was 4500 riel per bulb.

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:10 pm
by Absentmindedprofessor
I would be interested too in a place that stocks decent led lighting for motorcycle/cars.
did anybody try the new style H4 led light bulbs that have the little fan attached to the base? 1800lumens at 25W sounds pretty good:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/161155239247?var ... 1423.l2649
I was wondering if these were available in PP too, and at what price?
Last time I was in PP, I tried to find a led friendly electronic blinker relay for my motorcycle, but could not find anything useful, bought several different ones on eBay to try once I'm back.
Am still looking for leds and holders for my xr400r "dashboard" indicator/illumination lights, tried a few on an xr650r dashboard/speedometer and most T10 bulbs are to wide to fit, so far only the more expensive ones are small enough to fit:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/251402409197?ssP ... 1497.l2649
haven't found the right sockets yet.
so still a project in progress, curious what's available in PP

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:06 pm
by Kennzo
AK87 wrote:
AK87 wrote:I tried some instrument panel LEDs for fun. 3500 riel for two I think....
Made a mistake on the price. It was 3500 for ONE bulb. I bought 20 sets of them and got that price but buying two or four for example at a time was 4500 riel per bulb.
When can we meet AK to give this a go in my FTR? :-)

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:37 pm
by AK87
Elekid wrote:Keep in mind that in most cases it's not only a switch of lamps.

These LEDs are diodes, they only consume a very little of current and the voltage drop is very low. In many cases, for instance signal lights, you will have to add some additional electronic stuff (resistors, capacitors,...) to make them work properly.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Ah, I just figured out what you were saying on those and the other post that I can't find now.

Yeah for signal bulbs as mentioned you need an LED friendly relay which I don't know where to get. I used these in my instrument cluster and exterior park lights only.

@Kennzo, good meeting you albeit for the 5 minutes I was available. Hope you like the bulbs.

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 pm
by Kennzo
A big thank you to AK for the bulbs (already installed and working fine).
Great to meet up with you.

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm
by Barang_doa_slae
My car is fitted with factory HID head lights.
The American setting for high beam height was too low for Cambodian roads and their "no rear lights traffic".
After I adjusted them it was still too weak to drive any faster than 80kph so I had the car fitted with HID high beam. Bought and installed in Thailand 5 years ago. 1 dead ballast 2 years ago, had it replaced at VKS garage that sells sport exhaust etc... No problem since.

Bear in mind that local blue boys call them "laser" and say they are illegal. They sometimes target them when checking cars at PP road blocks.

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:31 am
by Kennzo
Big thanks once again AK.....nice and bright now.
Sorry no BEFORE shot.

Image

Re: LED lights for Motorbikes

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 am
by OrangeDragon
Barang_doa_slae wrote:My car is fitted with factory HID head lights.
The American setting for high beam height was too low for Cambodian roads and their "no rear lights traffic".
After I adjusted them it was still too weak to drive any faster than 80kph so I had the car fitted with HID high beam. Bought and installed in Thailand 5 years ago. 1 dead ballast 2 years ago, had it replaced at VKS garage that sells sport exhaust etc... No problem since.

Bear in mind that local blue boys call them "laser" and say they are illegal. They sometimes target them when checking cars at PP road blocks.
road blocks are generally in town... you really shouldn't need high beams in town anywhere, and can blind the oncoming with them (thus why they'd be illegal).